Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car transporter trailers

• 20-09-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Are there any rules or regulations regarding what type of trailer can be used legally?
    Does it have to be a factory built trailer such as a Brian James or are home made ones still ok to use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

There are no laws for old trailers other than YOU are responsible for the load. The only other law is that the towing vehicle is plated to tow the trailer+load weight (look at the weight plate of the towing vehicle and take away the 2 first numbers most of the time these figures assume the trailer brakes are operational) AND that you have a BE licence or better.

The laws changed for NEW trailers in 2012 where they all have to be weight plated and have a new style hitch (with full break-away system)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

mullingar wrote: »
    There are no laws for old trailers other than YOU are responsible for the load. The only other law is that the towing vehicle is plated to tow the trailer+load weight (look at the weight plate of the towing vehicle and take away the 2 first numbers most of the time these figures assume the trailer brakes are operational) AND that you have a BE licence or better.

The laws changed for NEW trailers in 2012 where they all have to be weight plated and have a new style hitch (with full break-away system)

Thanks.

Seems the braked towing capacity of the car is 1800kg. I doubt I'd be going over that, license isn't a problem either.

Neilw wrote: »
    Thanks.

Seems the braked towing capacity of the car is 1800kg. I doubt I'd be going over that, license isn't a problem either.

You would be surprised on the weight of some old car transport trailers as they were made from heavy steel. If yours weighs 350+kg, the heaviest you can "legally" tow would be 1450kg (a passat/mondeo weighs 1500-1600kg), just something to bear in mind so no harm in getting the trailer weighed empty first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Not sure how true this is, but I picked up a dual axle trailer from a hire place to transport a big ride on lawn mower and the guy there said that he couldn't supply it to anyone without a 4x4. Lucky me that I was driving one, but kind of curious to know if it was law or company policy.

vibe666 wrote: »
    Not sure how true this is, but I picked up a dual axle trailer from a hire place to transport a big ride on lawn mower and the guy there said that he couldn't supply it to anyone without a 4x4. Lucky me that I was driving one, but kind of curious to know if it was law or company policy.

I don't think that a 4x4 is required at all, once the combined load and trailer weight don't exceed the cars towing capacity you're fine.

• Advertisement

Pure urban myth to need a 4x4 for a bigish trailer.

My car is plated to 2000kg towing capacity (rwd 98 gs300), some 4x4's eg a diesel grand vitara is 1800kg....

BE licence is a legal must have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi all,

Are there any rules or regulations regarding what type of trailer can be used legally?
    Does it have to be a factory built trailer such as a Brian James or are home made ones still ok to use?

No home made jobs

Use a factory built trailer, with brakes.

You can't exceed the specs of the vehicle or the category of licence you hold. Ie your GTW can't exceed 3.5 tones on a B licence, that includes the vehicle and trailer on top of the load you carry. Don't get caught with your pants down with weigh bridges

We use a 14ft Ifor Williams plant trailer to haul cars about, it holds an E39 perfect with room left at the back. We also use a RWD Daily van to haul said trailer about. Low cars are an arse to load but otherwise it's a fantastic setup

I'm not limited by the 3500kg gtw, I've an EC license. Just need to make sure I don't exceed the cars towing capacity.

@dgt, no to home made jobs, so they are not allowed?

Advertisement