Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ITV Be

• 20-09-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭

ITV Be is due to launch on Oct 8.
    It is currently running test signals does anyone know if it will be fta or another scrambled channel??

It can be added using the following

V
    5/6
    More details about the channel here

http://www.itv.com/be

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

On the website it says the channel is Free To Air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's certainly FTA now anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It must be the one with SID label 10075 written on it.

I just see The Real Housewives of New York is on now when I briefly flicked on it for about a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

another waste of space channel by the looks of it

wall to wall repeats....just another excuse for raising advertising revenue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

"The Only Way is Essex is moving to our brand new channel ITVBe."

Let's hope ITVBe is scrambled then. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ITV Be must be the most pointless launch since the last most pointless launch. Its what ITV 2 is already doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

mikeym wrote: »
    On the website it says the channel is Free To Air.

ITVBe will be on Freesat from 8th Oct http://www.a516digital.com/2014/07/itvbe-sets-october-launch-date.html so defo FTA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

medium_ZfwCAnAP3fguRjBYoKdyvHQ4OpfJH6CPV44EO3MGZ1o.jpg

what on earth are these monstrosities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

as far as I can tell; ITVBe is another channel to add to the list of channels I don't watch

It won't be on the Irish EPG anyway!

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    It won't be on the Irish EPG anyway!

Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Itv replied to an email confirming it is indeed fta....although It wont be one I'd ever watch its still one many of the ladies out there will enjoy and so how bad...if it keeps em happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭corm500

Another channel (albeit one that I have no interest in) that will not be available to Skys Irish viewers. Sooner the Irish Sky customers move to Saorview/Freesat the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

corm500 wrote: »
    Another channel (albeit one that I have no interest in) that will not be available to Skys Irish viewers. Sooner the Irish Sky customers move to Saorview/Freesat the better.

It can be added to the other channels listings, i doubt many will watch it let alone record it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Strange logic.

How many channels that are available to Irish Sky viewers can be received on Saorview/Freesat equipment?

Amd why "sooner....the better"? What difference does it make to you?

radiowaves wrote: »
    Strange logic.

How many channels that are available to Irish Sky viewers can be received on Saorview/Freesat equipment?

Amd why "sooner....the better"? What difference does it make to you?

I think the more interesting question is how many channels that are freely available on Saorview / Freesat are not available on the Irish Sky epg? My logic is the sooner that Irish Sky subscribers cop on and realise they are being fleeced for a service that is inferior to their uk counterparts and hit Sky where it hurts (in the pocket) then the sooner Sky will be forced to upgrade their Irish service to the UK standard. A reasonable logic I think

I think the more interesting question is how many channels that are freely available on Saorview / Freesat are not available on the Irish Sky epg? My logic is the sooner that Irish Sky subscribers cop on and realise they are being fleeced for a service that is inferior to their uk counterparts and hit Sky where it hurts (in the pocket) then the sooner Sky will be forced to upgrade their Irish service to the UK standard. A reasonable logic I think

Again, if you're talking sheer weight of numbers I'm afraid Sky wins by a very huge number.

Sky cannot do anything about channels that do not want to pay to be on the Irish EPG (or can't due to programming rights restrictions).

Your anger should be aimed at them and not at Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The ITV channels are generally rubbish, and this is just another to add to the muck.

Again, if you're talking sheer weight of numbers I'm afraid Sky wins by a very huge number.

Sky cannot do anything about channels that do not want to pay to be on the Irish EPG (or can't due to programming rights restrictions).

Your anger should be aimed at them and not at Sky.

That's sounds pretty much like you are reading the standard Sky line there.
    If I remember correctly Rte do not pay for Sky carriage. Sky made a commercial descision to carry the Irish stations. If people stop paying for the inferior offering then Sky will make a commercial decision to carry for example BBC 3 Bbc4 Rte1 and C4 in Hd for a start

That's sounds pretty much like you are reading the standard Sky line there.
    If I remember correctly Rte do not pay for Sky carriage. Sky made a commercial descision to carry the Irish stations. If people stop paying for the inferior offering then Sky will make a commercial decision to carry for example BBC 3 Bbc4 Rte1 and C4 in Hd for a start

I'm not sure what you mean by "standard Sky line". I'm giving the facts - if they coincide with the "standard Sky line" then that's the way it is.

RTE are only carried in Ireland so your point is moot - in fact it's making the exact same point as I am because programming rights restrictions prevent RTÉ from appearing on British Sky boxes.

And, once again, it is up to BBC Worldwide (in the example of BBC Three & Four) and Channel 4 to make their offerings available on the Irish EPG - I'm really not sure what part of that is difficult to comprehend.

Your anger is misplaced.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what you mean by "standard Sky line". I'm giving the facts - if they coincide with the "standard Sky line" then that's the way it is.

RTE are only carried in Ireland so your point is moot - in fact it's making the exact same point as I am because programming rights restrictions prevent RTÉ from appearing on British Sky boxes.

And, once again, it is up to BBC Worldwide (in the example of BBC Three & Four) and Channel 4 to make their offerings available on the Irish EPG - I'm really not sure what part of that is difficult to comprehend.

Your anger is misplaced.

Oh ok so BBC worldwide pay for placement on the Irish EPG? Thats a surprise I dont think UK licence payers would be too happy with that. Again I thought Sky made a commercial decision in paying for BBC to be on the Irish EPG.
    See where I am going with this?
    I will explain: Sky will do nothing about increasing the offering to Sky Ireland viewers until they see it as being sound commercially to do it, for example if enough customers cancel their subsciption. Im making this argument as simple as I can really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Can I ask a question here? Who decides what channels are on the sky epg? Is it Sky or the channel themselves? Some say that the reason there are no itv channels on the epg is down to TV3.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is one channel I won't ever add to 'other channels', not sure why Itv want to launch it since the content was all on Itv2 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jca wrote: »
    Can I ask a question here? Who decides what channels are on the sky epg? Is it Sky or the channel themselves? Some say that the reason there are no itv channels on the epg is down to TV3.
    I queried this just a couple of months ago with ITV and the following is their last email which pretty much explains why certain channels are not carried by Sky......

Dear muffler,

Thank you for contacting ITV once again regarding the availability of our channels in Ireland. As you note, ITV's digital channels are available to UPC subscribers which is an Irish cable TV company, but are not available to subscribers of Sky in Ireland.

European legislation (specifically the Cable and Satellite Directive 93/83/EEC) means we can easily license our TV channels to satellite and cable operators in other European countries if they have their 'principal operations' in that country, which is the case with UPC. Unfortunately in the case of Sky, its 'principal operations' are based in the UK, so we are unable to rely on this Directive to license our channels. Consequently in order to permit Sky Ireland to broadcast the ITV channels, we would need to secure the explicit agreement of each of the thousands of rightsholders in all the programmes we show. Clearly this would be an extremely challenging and costly exercise, which we have hitherto been unable to justify on economic grounds.

I appreciate this is frustrating for Sky subscribers such as yourself, and rest assured we are exploring opportunities and alternative ways for more homes in Ireland to access ITV's digital channels in the future.

I hope the above information helps to explain the situation. Please do not hesitate to get in touch if there is anything else I can assist with in the future.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact ITV Viewer Services.

Kind regards,

Oh ok so BBC worldwide pay for placement on the Irish EPG? Thats a surprise I dont think UK licence payers would be too happy with that. Again I thought Sky made a commercial decision in paying for BBC to be on the Irish EPG.
    See where I am going with this?
    I will explain: Sky will do nothing about increasing the offering to Sky Ireland viewers until they see it as being sound commercially to do it, for example if enough customers cancel their subsciption. Im making this argument as simple as I can really.

BBC Worldwide is the commercial arm of the BBC - nothing to do with licence fee money ;)

You can make your argument as simple as you like but that won't pay for cross-territory programming rights.

Sky haven't done it with Irish TV for British viewers, why do you expect them to do it the other way round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Interesting response from ITV, I wonder will the recent nominal change of provider from SKY UK to SKY Ireland have any impact on SKY's ability to show these channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What does the be in itvbe stand for?

Dave..M wrote: »
    Interesting response from ITV, I wonder will the recent nominal change of provider from SKY UK to SKY Ireland have any impact on SKY's ability to show these channels.
    Yeah, I had thought about that myself. The date on that email was 7 July 2014 and it was some weeks after this when Sky announced the setting up of their company in Ireland. But then again the point they raised regarding getting consent from numerous rightsholders would still put a dampener on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

muffler wrote: »
    Yeah, I had thought about that myself. The date on that email was 7 July 2014 and it was some weeks after this when Sky announced the setting up of their company in Ireland. But then again the point they raised regarding getting consent from numerous rightsholders would still put a dampener on things.

their email seems to indicate that was because SKY's operations were mainly in the UK, this new SKY Ireland's operations will presumably be fully ROI similar to UPC Ireland's so perhaps they won't need to, I guess time will tell....,,

• Advertisement

Dave..M wrote: »
    their email seems to indicate that was because SKY's operations were mainly in the UK, this new SKY Ireland's operations will presumably be fully ROI similar to UPC Ireland's so perhaps they won't need to, I guess time will tell....,,

Well the email quoted actually contradicts itself in that regard.

Cable companies have traditionally been able to carry operations from neighbouring countries based on overspill.

This doesn't apply to satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Cable companies have traditionally been able to carry operations from neighbouring countries based on overspill.

Not since the 1993 Directive became law which covered the issue of copyrighted programming on satellite and cable systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Launches on 118 (Freesat), ITV4+1 booted down to 155 on Freesat.

It's 179 on the trick epg.. Looks to be dire almost as bad as E!

It's 179 on the trick epg.

On the what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

ITV B'ell E'nd! You would have to be one to watch the sh1t they will be broadcasting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

lertsnim wrote: »
    On the what?
    Think lertsnim was referering to this ?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056353483

Regards

Oscarziggy wrote: »

Regards

So the UK EPG number then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭_John C

It stands for "Bull Excrement" :)

lertsnim wrote: »
    So the UK EPG number then.
    Yes just checked.....promo running.
    Regards

It is a black tie event for the launch of ITVBe tonight.

I am only watching this for only a few minutes because for the next 2 hours until 9pm the people in the dreaded reality TV shows are being featured in the launch event. This launch night event looks definitely pre-recorded which is also an even bigger disappointment for the channel.

The only guest I know who is there now is Brian McFadden who was there with his girlfriend whose name I don't know. The other couple who were on with them, I haven't the faintest clue in who they are.

• Advertisement

I am only watching this for only a few minutes because for the next 2 hours until 9pm the people in the dreaded reality TV shows are being featured in the launch event. This launch night event looks definitely pre-recorded which is also an even bigger disappointment for the channel.

The only guest I know who is there now is Brian McFadden who was there with his girlfriend whose name I don't know. The other couple who were on with them, I haven't the faintest clue in who they are.

Is it on the Irish sky epg of just through the other channels feature?

Is it on the Irish sky epg of just through the other channels feature?

As you said earlier in the thread it is on other channels. Did you not read your earlier post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

No prerecorded I don't think. There is a live feed on the satellite at 24.5 West, good signal here.

Intelsat 905 (24.5°W)

Frequency: 10997 - Pol: H - SR: 7200 - FEC: 3/4

Category: Spectacle

Transmitted in: MPEG-2 4:2:0 (PAL)

Comments: Launch of ITV Be (Only Way is Essex Ibiza) S2HD

As you said earlier in the thread it is on other channels. Did you not read your earlier post?

Things may have changed at the launch!

A very quick edit there zorro

Regards

I was.

I was.
    Sorry jca I got your user name mixed up !!

Regards

Well Fine then. :mad:

I should have said that I don't use Sky at all for my TV so I can't give you a specific answer.

Sorry jca I got your user name mixed up !!

Regards

No worries, unfortunately sky have rumbled the nerds and updated us into oblivion:(:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

branners69 can take a warning for his post, everyone else, please be civil to each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement