Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rejoining the UK

• 21-09-2014 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

HI folks. Was talking to a friend of mine about the Scottish situation today. We both agreed that their leaving the Union was daft and I expressed the view (jokingly) that we should rejoin! But since then, I've been thinking. I now actually conclude that I would consider joining a federalised Union, as an EQUAL PARTNER NATION, with England, Scotland, Wales and NI. However, as a Republican, I couldn't live with the idea of a monarch.

So here's the question:

With the future of the EU becoming more uncertain, and the UK moving in a more Federal direction, are there any circumstances under which you'd consider supporting Ireland rejoining the UK?

Pity I can't put up a poll, but if anybody else wants to - feel free! I'm just curious as to whetehr the notion would still be dismissed out of hand by most Irish people, or whether there are circumstances under which it might be considered more thoughtfully.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There's already two threads running on this at the moment, one in after hours and one in politics cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

For gods sake another one of these daft threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Mac1978 wrote: »
    With the future of the EU becoming more uncertain, and the UK moving in a more Federal direction, are there any circumstances under which you'd consider supporting Ireland rejoining the UK?
    Yes.

When Hell freezes over.

Not because I have anything against the UK, but because I don't think there's any more case for joining the UK than there is of becoming a State of the U.S. or a Lander of Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

HI folks. Was talking to a friend of mine about the Scottish situation today. We both agreed that their leaving the Union was daft and I expressed the view (jokingly) that we should rejoin! But since then, I've been thinking. I now actually conclude that I would consider joining a federalised Union, as an EQUAL PARTNER NATION, with England, Scotland, Wales and NI. However, as a Republican, I couldn't live with the idea of a monarch.

So here's the question:

Pity I can't put up a poll, but if anybody else wants to - feel free! I'm just curious as to whetehr the notion would still be dismissed out of hand by most Irish people, or whether there are circumstances under which it might be considered more thoughtfully.
    I'll answer your question with a question; why?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

Presently the farmers would like UK prices for produce, so with more money in the rural economy it would be a good thing rejoining the uk. I know london could suck the life out of the country !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I now actually conclude that I would consider joining a federalised Union, as an EQUAL PARTNER NATION, with England, Scotland, Wales and NI.

How would we be an "equal partner nation" with less than 1/10th of the population of England? Wales, Scotland and NI aren't equal partners with England in the current UK. Even combined with them, we all wouldn't approach half of England's clout. England is always going to dominate the UK, based on sheer population alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A qualified maybe. In that not full membership of the UK as a local regional centre would better meet local administrative needs and the EU has already removed quite alot of the legislative/judicial power of Dublin.
    Instead, the closest medium term objective should just be the rejoining the Commonwealth so as to improve trade links and hopefully be part of that diplomatic network which includes republics like India. That would represent a middle path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Manach wrote: »
    A qualified maybe. In that not full membership of the UK as a local regional centre would better meet local administrative needs and the EU has already removed quite alot of the legislative/judicial power of Dublin.
    Instead, the closest medium term objective should just be the rejoining the Commonwealth so as to improve trade links and hopefully be part of that diplomatic network which includes republics like India. That would represent a middle path.
    Commonwealth membership doesn't involve any "trade links" - the fact taht it doesn't is a constant complaint of certain Commonwealth countries - and we're already "part of a diplomatic network that includes republics like India". I don't think Commonwealth membership has anything to offer us.

Advertisement