Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in NYC

Options
  • 21-09-2014 2:33am
    Site Banned Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've just moved to NYC a week ago on a graduate visa. The job hunt has been going good. 2 interviews done and another one lined up. One of the interviewers says he should have some work coming up and I've to call him Monday.

However I haven't been so lucky on the accommodation side of things. I've moved out here alone and don't know anybody so it's hard to find a place through word of mouth.
    I'm staying in a hostel and its costing me a fortune so I really need to move into long term accommodation asap. I've tried craigslist but it's hard to find suitable accom there...I'd rather live with Irish so there's no cultural/language barriers and generally to have the craic.

I'm just looking for a room preferably in Queens or Brooklyn. If anybody knows anybody or hears anything I'd appreciate it so much if you could PM me or help me out in some way.

I'm a 22 year old guy btw. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Try contacting the Gaa clubs and Irish societies, they may be able to put you in touch with someone who can help

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Try the Irish Echo too. I used to live in the Woodlawn section of The Bronx, along with many other Irish immigrants. It's an easy commute to Manhattan by subway or Metro North.

http://irishecho.com/contact-us/about/classifieds/this-weeks-classifieds/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Hey guys,

I'd rather live with Irish so there's no cultural/language barriers and generally to have the craic.

Christ, it's New York...not Timbuktu. You're actually talking yourself out of a key part of living in another country. Living with Americans mean you could be living with people who are more established in the city, have internships/jobs and networks that could open up a lot of opportunities, instead of another Saturday night at Sean Og's or whatever random bar in Woodlawn and replicating life "back home".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I lived with American families for the summer and it was fantastic.

• Site Banned Posts: 96 ✭✭engineerbrah

Christ, it's New York...not Timbuktu. You're actually talking yourself out of a key part of living in another country. Living with Americans mean you could be living with people who are more established in the city, have internships/jobs and networks that could open up a lot of opportunities, instead of another Saturday night at Sean Og's or whatever random bar in Woodlawn and replicating life "back home".

No need to be smart. Yes it's a multicultural city but still very segregated. You think Asians, Hispanics or what have you will want to share an apartment and hang out with an Irish lad? Come on like. Even Americans will have there own friends groups who they'd rather live with than share with some randomer. Anybody I've been in touch with on craigslist turned out to be an absolute weirdo. I think my best bet is finding Irish immigrants in the same boat as me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

No need to be smart. Yes it's a multicultural city but still very segregated. You think Asians, Hispanics or what have you will want to share an apartment and hang out with an Irish lad? Come on like. Even Americans will have there own friends groups who they'd rather live with than share with some randomer. Anybody I've been in touch with on craigslist turned out to be an absolute weirdo. I think my best bet is finding Irish immigrants in the same boat as me tbh.

I'm not being smart - i live in San Francisco, a city pretty much as multicultural as any, with a huge asian population

My wife's best friend has 5 housemates (resident doctors don't earn enough to live by themselves here). None of them are the same race as each other...but all american, and none of them knew each other before moving and get on amazingly - two are doctors, one nurse and two tech workers. I work with a guy who moved here from NY, not knowing anyone and now lives with 4 others and has a social life like no other. 1 of his room mates is Irish, and took the plunge on craigslist.

But if you want to have a year like any other, just in another city with no cultural experiences outside of meeting someone from another county...carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kilmac11

Hi there, I have a place in Manhattan which I am looking to rent. I'll PM you the details

Advertisement