Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom rifle

Options
  • 21-09-2014 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Well lads,
    I'm doing a bit of research into getting a custom rifle built in the next while. It'll be purely a fox rifle but haven't decided on calibre yet. What are your opinions on using a factory sako or Remington action vs say a stiller predator action. Is it worth the extra cost.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Well lads,
    I'm doing a bit of research into getting a custom rifle built in the next while. It'll be purely a fox rifle but haven't decided on calibre yet. What are your opinions on using a factory sako or Remington action vs say a stiller predator action. Is it worth the extra cost.
    Cheers.
    Dom Byrne(doms custom rifles) will do a fine job for you, , a common rifle he will do will be a tikka action with a pse composite stock,you can change barrels ,triggers etc according to your budget.
    I would recommend you get a .243 so if you deicide you want to get into deer you already have the rifle for it.
    Most will use a .223 for foxes i had one myself but when you have .243 it is a great all rounder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Varmint Shooter

Like most things you get what you pay for. A "custom" action should be better than a factory one.

Can you get a .243 for foxing. I was told by local Garda that I couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Foxwhistler

Dom Byrne(doms custom rifles) will do a fine job for you, , a common rifle he will do will be a tikka action with a pse composite stock,you can change barrels ,triggers etc according to your budget.
    I would recommend you get a .243 so if you deicide you want to get into deer you already have the rifle for it.
    Most will use a .223 for foxes i had one myself but when you have .243 it is a great all rounder.

Thanks lad. I've heard a lot about dom but as of yet I have still to meet him. I already have a stalking rifle so don't need another so it will probably be 204, 223 or 22-250. I'm more interested in the price of a true custom action and is it worth the hassle.
    I'm trying to locate a sako 75 223 size action to build on but finding it hard to locate one.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

How about a 22-250? At least you'll have a 308 sized bolt face and can re-barrel to something larger later.
    The stiller actions I had in the workshop are really nice, I would prefer them to any Sako Action. If one wants to hang on to the rifle for a long time then it might be worth spending the extra on a custom action. Every time you pick it up...you'll pick up something really good.
    I have and had semi customs built on T3, Sako, Mauser and Remington actions. They all have their good and bad points. Custom actions mostly have less bad points.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

ejg wrote: »
    How about a 22-250? At least you'll have a 308 sized bolt face and can re-barrel to something larger later.
    The stiller actions I had in the workshop are really nice, I would prefer them to any Sako Action. If one wants to hang on to the rifle for a long time then it might be worth spending the extra on a custom action. Every time you pick it up...you'll pick up something really good.
    I have and had semi customs built on T3, Sako, Mauser and Remington actions. They all have their good and bad points. Custom actions mostly have less bad points.

edi

Just out of interest Edi, what would be the bad points on a Tikka action over a custom one.

I have held quiet a few customs actions and shot a couple but not for long enough to have an opinion.

I was very close to building on a Bat or Rpa action but eventually choose to go with the Tikka as it was more cost effective.

• Advertisement

T3 Action, does not have a proper recoil lug. Even the hardened steel replacement lugs have quite a bit of slop. Some custom rifle builders overcome the problem by fitting a recoil lug on the barrel ala Remington. Safety is not regarded to be good by some.
    Fitting AI style mag systems to T3 is not that easy. 223 plastic mags need reworking to get them to fit, 308 seems fairly ok, 300wm needs work on the action meaning proof is out the window. Many good points for T3 too, If it is worth the extra over a remmy is up to each to decide.
    Just saying there is no perfect action, possibly the closest to perfection in my books is the new action made by ASH in Germany. Remmy footprint, remmy trigger compatible meaning jewel, timney etc works, proper firing pin safety, integrated pica rail, integrated proper recoil lug, three lug bolt.
    Sometimes I think it is astonishing, we all know what we want on an action which are actually only a few points and.... no manufacturer listens. ASH is much closer to getting it right.
    edi

T3 Action, does not have a proper recoil lug. Even the hardened steel replacement lugs have quite a bit of slop. Some custom rifle builders overcome the problem by fitting a recoil lug on the barrel ala Remington. Safety is not regarded to be good by some.
    Fitting AI style mag systems to T3 is not that easy. 223 plastic mags need reworking to get them to fit, 308 seems fairly ok, 300wm needs work on the action meaning proof is out the window. Many good points for T3 too, If it is worth the extra over a remmy is up to each to decide.
    Just saying there is no perfect action, possibly the closest to perfection in my books is the new action made by ASH in Germany. Remmy footprint, remmy trigger compatible meaning jewel, timney etc works, proper firing pin safety, integrated pica rail, integrated proper recoil lug, three lug bolt.
    Sometimes I think it is astonishing, we all know what we want on an action which are actually only a few points and.... no manufacturer listens. ASH is much closer to getting it right.
    edi

Thanks for that, I still have an itch for a custom action on my next rifle so will look at these points when choosing.

I have a T3 here that I am thinking of getting fitted with a custom barrel to fit into our new stock. I will chance the aftermarket steel lug arrangement and possibly try an aftermarket 3 position firing pin safety. The T3 trigger breaks really nice and is perfect for my needs, no need to upgrade. I'll even chance the original mag however with an alu bottom metal.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

and possibly try an aftermarket 3 position firing pin safety.
    edi

That sounds interesting. Can you give more details please.

http://www.buema-hochwang.de/shop2/index.php?a=78
    I know the owner of the company...typical Bavarian fella.
    edi

• Advertisement

Never been fond of the safety on my tikka and it isn't very user friendly for a left hander. Do you have a price or when you might be getting them in?

Recon you could order directly. I can ask when the next batch is being made or if a left hand version is available as there was talk about it.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Can you get a .243 for foxing. I was told by local Garda that I couldn't.

I'm not knocking your local Gardai but you can't always go by what they tell you at the counter in your local station. They don't make the decisions, it's up to the Super/Chief Super.

I was told to sod off, no pistols being licenced by my local Guard. I ignored the Guard, applied anyway and got the pistol no problem.

If you think you have a valid reason for any type of firearm that is licenceable and can show it to the Super/Chief Super, then go ahead and apply.

Recon you could order directly. I can ask when the next batch is being made or if a left hand version is available as there was talk about it.
    edi

Danke Herr Edi. I'll send him an email and see what he says too. The installation seemed straight forward in the video but was in a foreign lingo.
    Ich habe ein wenig Deutsch aber nicht gutes Gesprach:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Foxwhistler

edi

Fair play edi. I didn't know such a safety existed for the tikka. That's one of the reasons I hadn't considered one. I don't like putting the gun live to operate the bolt.
    Any of you guys got a ball park price on a custom action.

Any of you guys got a ball park price on a custom action.

I think I was quoted around the €900-1000 mark.

I cannot remember what action that was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

What are your opinions on using a factory sako or Remington action

I love my Finnbear, but trying to get parts can be difficult and selection anemic.

I would go with a 700 action. There's just so much support for it: triggers, bases, barrels, ...

I always hated that Sako and Tikka went a more proprietary route when it comes to rings/mounts. Kind of reminds me how Apple/Mac always had to make everything themselves.

Consider the Krieger barrels are well. Don't quote me, however, I believe the cryo treat all of their barrels. All of the lads I know in the States shooting 50's swear by cryo treatments.

Advertisement