Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computers and technology

Options
  • 21-09-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I have a dell inspiron 1720.
    Whenever I turn on the computer it shows a black screen saying:"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally.
    (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Launch Startup Repair(recommended)
    Start Windows Normally

Description: Fix problems that are preventing Windows from starting"
    I have tried both and they both failed. My son is saying it is to do with too much missing data from the bootup routine on the hard-drive and to get a new one.
    What do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Will it start in safe mode? Hit F8 while booting.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vietnam5

I didn't hit F8 but I pressed it when it started booting up and it showed a menu with: repair your computer, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, enable boot logging, enable low-resolution video(640x480), Last known good configuration (I think this one seems good), directory mode, debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, disable driver signature enforcement and start windows normally. I tried safe mode and it went through a bunch of loading \windows\system32\driver... files and went to the windows failed to start screen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

vietnam5 wrote: »
    I didn't hit F8 but I pressed it when it started booting up and it showed a menu with: repair your computer, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, enable boot logging, enable low-resolution video(640x480), Last known good configuration (I think this one seems good), directory mode, debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, disable driver signature enforcement and start windows normally. I tried safe mode and it went through a bunch of loading \windows\system32\driver... files and went to the windows failed to start screen

Try that

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vietnam5

tried it... didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

matty4 wrote: »
    anyone know a free word processor application I can download

Libreoffice, Google docs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

srbuggle wrote: »
    can I get advice on a free application

Which one there is millions