Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless vs wired internet connection

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

cookie24 wrote: »
    Hi lads, wasn't too sure where to put this but hopefully someone will be able to help.

Anyone know how the following would work with xbox live (playing mainly COD):

http://www.dabs.ie/products/trendnet-tpl-407e2k--powerline-500-av-nano-passthrough-adapter-kit-9BT5.html?src=2

vs a ~20m long internet cable?

Thanks

Technically the use of powerline adapters is still classed as wired, rather than wiress. Personally, I stick to this when considering console connectivity:

Wired>powerlines>wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

I've been using them on the xbox one for a week, and I've noticed a marked improvement over wireless. Haven't lagged online at all, no crazy lag in game and speeds are pretty good using the xbox detailed network checker.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

VivGrise wrote: »
    I've been using them on the xbox one for a week, and I've noticed a marked improvement over wireless. Haven't lagged offline at all, no crazy lag in game and speeds are pretty good using the xbox detailed network checker.
    I'm not sure how you could lag while offline...

The difference between wireless and ethernet connections depends on how far you are from the router. If your router is in the same room or in adjacent room with one internal wall between you, you'll probably not experience any noticable lag at all.
    If your console is on the other side of the house to the router and there are 5 or 6 walls between, you may experience connectivity issues

One other caveat is that your xbox will be competing for bandwith if there are multiple other wireless devices in your network, so if you share a house with other people who are using torrents or netflix or whatever, you might consider running an ethernet wire and setting up your router to prioritise traffic to the xbox

The download speeds will be lower on wifi than ethernet but this won't affect your ping (which is what really matters when playing online games)

If you're really worried about latency, you should be using a wired controller (to reduce input lag from the controller) and an ethernet connection, but the vast majority of people won't notice the difference between a standard wireless controller/wifi set-up and the alternative set-up, and certainly not enough of a difference to justify the inconvenience of running cables through your house and using a wired controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

Akrasia wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you could lag while offline...

Obvious typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

cookie24 wrote: »
    Hi lads, wasn't too sure where to put this but hopefully someone will be able to help.

Anyone know how the following would work with xbox live (playing mainly COD):

http://www.dabs.ie/products/trendnet-tpl-407e2k--powerline-500-av-nano-passthrough-adapter-kit-9BT5.html?src=2

vs a ~20m long internet cable?

Thanks

Yep, use a similar setup myself throughout the house. Perfect speeds and no messy wires.

The pack probably comes with all the ethernet cables you'll need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Shred

Myrddin wrote: »
    Wired>powerlines>wifi

Spot on and this is why I ran CAT6 throughout my house last year from the attic down (behind the dry lining) to each room. Wired Gb ftw!

Advertisement