Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite lure

Options
  • 21-09-2014 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I am running low on good lures for pike (stupit trees) and was wondering what is everyone's favourite lures for pike my favourite lure is probely the rapala type would love to here UR favourite type so I could give em a go

Boyne fisher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I find once you have any jointed lure, a soft plastic, and the good old copper spoon you can't go wrong. Dead bait is still more effective on cold days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Boyne fisher

I find once you have any jointed lure, a soft plastic, and the good old copper spoon you can't go wrong. Dead bait is still more effective on cold days though.

Yeah I always found the jointed good wat type of soft plastic do u recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Zalt or a Fox Replicant.

Zalt or a Fox Replicant.

Thanks I heard a lot about the zolts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Lake Trolling. 10in fox replcant ( old type )
    lake casting. salmo slider 80g
    River Trolling. 8in berkley shad fished on a large jig head with a size 6 stinger
    River casting. Savage gear soft 4play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

SavageGear 4play, can't beat them, using mine about 4/5 years now other than a few hook changes theyre fine. Put a "skull" on them an troll away!

A friend got me a few Tazmanian Devils, you'd use them with a spinning rod yeah? Not a fly rod?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

gumbo1 wrote: »
    SavageGear 4play, can't beat them, using mine about 4/5 years now other than a few hook changes theyre fine. Put a "skull" on them an troll away!

A friend got me a few Tazmanian Devils, you'd use them with a spinning rod yeah? Not a fly rod?

You'd have hard time casting a taz on a fly rod unless your into getting few clatters across back if the head :)

Thanks everyone i might go to tackle shop and by some savage gear 4play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Got some 4play lures this season, only caught the one jack and a seriously optimistic Perch on it so far but there's no denying I've never seen a pure with better action.

That said, all my best pike have been caught on the tried and tested Shakespeare Big S

niallon wrote: »
    Got some 4play lures this season, only caught the one jack and a seriously optimistic Perch on it so far but there's no denying I've never seen a pure with better action.

That said, all my best pike have been caught on the tried and tested Shakespeare Big S
    I find that the lures I admire for their wonderful action are often among the least successful at attacking fish. We must see something differently to the pike's view of things.

• Advertisement

I find that the lures I admire for their wonderful action are often among the least successful at attacking fish. We must see something differently to the pike's view of things.

I've found that myself at times, same for flies. I tie flies that I think look like the business, still catch more fish on a run of the mill brown sedge. With lures, I reckon the Tasmanian Devil casts and moves the best of any lure, I own loads. But I haven't caught a single fish with one!

niallon wrote: »
    I've found that myself at times, same for flies. I tie flies that I think look like the business, still catch more fish on a run of the mill brown sedge. With lures, I reckon the Tasmanian Devil casts and moves the best of any lure, I own loads. But I haven't caught a single fish with one!

Haha own loads and never caught on them the Tasmanian is a fantastic lure for trolling

Haha own loads and never caught on them the Tasmanian is a fantastic lure for trolling

And I use them plenty, mostly trolling! Just never seem to work for me

What makes the fantastic if you havent caught with them?...had a few trout on the small ones but I reckon there are better lures out there. Hook up rates arnt great I found as the lure is slightly wider that the treble at the back and if you replace it with a wider one it can catch alot of weed and debris....they can also cause a lot of line twist...they probably have a time and place but I have yet to find it!

Yeah a lot of line twist same as the Devon minniow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

That lure looks unbelievable

ye lovely action on them,there'd want to be there 15 euro each!!

Are u serious my jesus

have ya seen the price of sum of the bass lures 25 euro +

• Advertisement

My god 25!!!!!!! + would wanna lure that caches every cast

Savage Gear 4Play Hardlure Instructional video: http://youtu.be/gcik6UwUGGQ

Lots of footage of Savage Gear lures in action here, best action I've ever seen a lure create in my opinion. Though as Srameen pointed out, sometimes what looks best to us can be least effective to catch.

Look good alright might have to get one for the pike :)

try http://www.harrissportsmail.com/en/Savage-Gear-4Play-Jointed-Herring-Lip-Lure-190/m-16867.aspx theres a bit of a sale on,i got a few last week, have too many now..haha

All depends on where your fishing...things like depth an water clarity are more important that shiny new lures that look the business...matching lures to conditions will get you into fish imo

Was on a big midland river yeasterday had 10 fish on a floating pike coloured zalt and 4 on a 14 inch bulldog...no interested in any other lure....next time they might only want replacants or sliders????...ya never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

As said above its hard to pick one.

For me best larger pike lure would be a zalt or a replicant in perch pattern. Never seem to do well on dawgs. I like Salmo sliders and fatso`s too. Croc spoons also.

Smaller pike lure for rivers and canals would probably be a jointed floating plug a rapala jointed or a yo zuri jointed jack pike or similar. Honourable mention for the ancient Big S that was a boon in the 90s!

Having said all that I have had my biggest pike on s size 4 mepps while trolling for big perch.

For bass probably an abu tormentor, the savage gear sandeels are good too.

i have 3 of the big S's got them , they dont really sell them any more in tackle shops, got two of the internet, the action on one of them is arse ways probably cheaply made, well for 3.50 i sort of expected that. tried tweeking it with a pliers at the front but jus cant get it right, Mepps are a great spinner too, i had a good few jacks up to 5lb this summer on a size 5 gold with red spots!!

Yeah I use a mepps size 4 or 5 with rainbow coulors on in great fish catcher!!

Again, a mepps is fine in a river or canal but not so hot in a large lake. The choice of lure depends on the conditions and the venue.

• Advertisement

Boyne fisher if ur losing lots of lures, I'd advice u to invest in braid,, I use 50 lb power pro, it's great for gettin back tackle that caught in trees or snags under water, it's expensive but I got 500 yards on eBay for 50 euro off an established dealer, if u do a good bit of lure fishing like me it'll save u money, because losing and buying lures can get expensive after a while!!

Advertisement