Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How has the PS4 dominated Europe so soon?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No one knew what the PS4 looked like for ages, and it could be argued that it was ahead in PR at that point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fine looking console though especially after the rather ugly PS3. The grill at the back is a bit ugly but you can keep that hidden.

The ONE may have pass the PS4 for the first week in 8 months for Fifa's release in the UK plus another price drop (limited), or it may not considering I can't find numbers and new sites are only linking to each other in a big old circle and I don't think they understand what "week over week" means in terms of percentage increase in sales.

Fifa sold more on PS4 as was to be expected with the difference in numbers and mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Fine looking console though especially after the rather ugly PS3. The grill at the back is a bit ugly but you can keep that hidden.

I can't to keep it cool I have that part facing outwards. Damn ikea cabinets - but on the plus side silent as a mouse.

Taltos wrote: »
    I can't to keep it cool I have that part facing outwards. Damn ikea cabinets - but on the plus side silent as a mouse.

I've mine on top of a low filing cabinet beside my desk with the vents facing me, the thing is rather quite but puts out a lot of heat; I don't need the heat on when I'm playing it .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    The ONE may have pass the PS4 for the first week in 8 months for Fifa's release in the UK plus another price drop (limited), or it may not considering I can't find numbers and new sites are only linking to each other in a big old circle and I don't think they understand what "week over week" means in terms of percentage increase in sales.

Fifa sold more on PS4 as was to be expected with the difference in numbers and mainland Europe.

You'll only get concrete figures from NDP who only release them quarterly I think. More than likely its a press release from Microsoft skewing the figures like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You'll only get concrete figures from NDP who only release them quarterly I think. More than likely its a press release from Microsoft skewing the figures like you say.

that's not true. in japan media create give concrete figures and in most EU countries we have chart track. I'm going to reply to that gentlemans question bout the sales so feel free to read it.

Varik wrote: »

chart track jfk track the sales accurately. the xbox one for the week of the fifa bundle outsold the PS4 by a small margin.

I'll get the numbers for the 3 weeks around it.

week ending 6th september: (average yearly week)
    X1 = 6k
    PS4 = 9k

week ending 13th september: (Destiny week)
    X1 = 16k
    PS4 = 35k

week ending 20th september:
    X1 = 8k
    PS4 = 12k

week ending 27th september: (Fifa week)
    X1 = 22k (a few hundred more than PS4 confirmed)
    PS4 = 22k

Don't have numbers for the next week after FIFA but chart track announced that PS4 gone back ahead by a few thousand.

This next link isn't very reliable as it's VGchartz but they will give you an idea of the sales for the EU.

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41910/Europe/

Just want to post a follow up. The only place in Europe where the two consoles compete closely is the UK. Sony recently said they've 80% marketshare in many countries and the figures coming from places like Spain, Germany and Italy certainly back this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Sony need a big thank you to Argos, the brilliant deals they've been putting out has made the PS4 irresistible to a lot of folk over here. I wouldn't even have one yet if it wasn't for their great deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Is Xbox One winning the battle for younger gamers though? We have a PS4 but all my son's school friends have Xbox Ones and from speaking to friends and work colleagues, that appears to be the trend in most schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Judging by the amount of games on display in Cex and Gamestop, XB1 isn't far off 50/50 popularity. Phil Spencer has done an amazing job so far and hopefully it continues at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Price was a big factor in determining which console I would buy. I have a PS3 and Xbox 360 and found myself playing more with the PS3 towards the end of last gen.

I have no preference towards either console but I felt that MS really let themselves down before launch.

Almost like they got a bit too cocky and assumed that people would still buy regardless.

That and they priced themselves out of the market initially. They've brought down the price significantly but I still don't feel the need to rush out and buy one.

Sony certainly learned a lot from their mistakes and you have to applaud them for it. They're not perfect by any means but I like the direction they're going in with indie games and the like.

I do believe that Microsoft will come back strong and will learn from a disastrous launch. I really hope they do because competition is always great.

I think PS+ is a big seller for Sony. The best bargain in gaming bar none. I'm not sure if MS still do the 'Games With Gold' thing but I think Sony are killing them in this area myself.

I'm happy with my PS4. Really happy with it. My preference would actually be a Wii U as a second console this gen.

I think it would take a handful of incredible exclusives for me to bite the bullet for an XB1 but at the moment, I'm happy with my choice but competition is always a good thing and I think MS are slowly coming around especially with their price drops.

Advertisement