Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I heard a story today...... (legal issue)

• 21-09-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Mods, please move this to the legal section if you see fit.....

I heard a story today.... (no, it's not me in the story)

This story is as follows....

Driver caught driving without tax and nct. Had insurance.

Given 2 options by the Garda that stopped them.

Option 1: Pay a fine, scrap the car, walk away.

Option 2: Go to court and lose your licence and get a massive fine.

I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It sounds outlandish to me.

Do the Garda now have the power to be judge, jury and executioner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Correct me if I'm wrong, but basically the Garda gave him the option of losing either the car or his license?

Sounds like a load of shíte if I'm picking it up right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

131spanner wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but basically the Garda gave him the option of losing either the car or his license?

+1
    Its bs.
    They can confiscate the car but you pay a small fine and take it back.
    You don;t even need to pay the back tax if you can trailer the car away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭godskitchen

131spanner wrote: »

The way it was told to me (by someone not known for drama or hyperbole) was that if they scrapped the car and pay something in the region of €250 fine then they walk away.

If they remove the car from the Garda compound on a low loader then:

They will be going to court

They will lose their licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I think whoever told the story may have it arseways.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I think whoever told the story may have it arseways.

I would think so too if I was hearing this from someone on line.

The person that told me is not one to get facts wrong. They would have quizzed the person that told them, in this case the person that was stopped by the Garda.

They have asked for the "deal" in writing so it will be interesting to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I don't see how you'd lose your licence for no NCT or Tax, unless you racked up enough points to lose it in that manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

In fact isnt it even against EU law for the Gardai to remove/impound your goods for tax reasons/arrears.
    No link as it was mentioned on a FB page thats in my feed. It was confirmed to be correct but no link!

Chimaera wrote: »
    I don't see how you'd lose your licence for no NCT or Tax, unless you racked up enough points to lose it in that manner.

No points, no convictions, driving or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

No points, no convictions, driving or otherwise.

What I meant was I don't see how a court conviction on either of those offences would result in someone losing their licence.

Chimaera wrote: »
    What I meant was I don't see how a court conviction on either of those offences would result in someone losing their licence.

Yep, I just wanted to clarify.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

bcmf wrote: »
    In fact isnt it even against EU law for the Gardai to remove/impound your goods for tax reasons/arrears.
    No link as it was mentioned on a FB page thats in my feed. It was confirmed to be correct but no link!

Yes, it is illegal for goods to be seized if they exceed the value of the debt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Yes, it is illegal for goods to be seized if they exceed the value of the debt
    Don't think it is considered to be "seizing goods".
    They are removing a vehicle from the road because it isn't certified fit to be on the road. You have to pay for the cost of removal and storage if you want it back.
    The fines/points etc is a separate issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

This really is a non-thread. BS as said before

corktina wrote: »
    This really is a non-thread. BS as said before

What's BS?

I have now spoken to the person that was pulled over and they are telling me the same story.

The same "deal" was offered to their solicitor.

I can't see any reason for the person to make all this up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Need more details. Is it possible the car was a piece of scrap that shouldn't have been on the road (of which there are many) and the guard was giving him a chance to get rid of it and take a small fine or go to court and explain his reason for driving such a piece of (possibly dangerous) scrap to the judge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Mods, please move this to the legal section if you see fit.....

I heard a story today.... (no, it's not me in the story)

This story is as follows....

Driver caught driving without tax and nct. Had insurance.

Given 2 options by the Garda that stopped them.

I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It sounds outlandish to me.

Do the Garda now have the power to be judge, jury and executioner?

I'm personally sick of hearing this type of scenario. There was a time when you'd be mortified to say that the Guards were on your case. Now it's like they're perceived as victimising people just by doing their job. I'd say they're at the end of their tethers with the multitude of excuses people come up with for not doing their civic duty and paying their due.

The cute hoor mentality is no longer tolerated. Pay up or pay the consequences.

Don't expect a sympathetic ear from the law enforcers any more. They're entitled to expect that you drive a roadworthy vehicle which is taxed.

Now a bit of humility for a change please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What's BS?

I have now spoken to the person that was pulled over and they are telling me the same story.

If what you are being told is true then you are not getting the full story. It is, of course, possible that your friend just came across a dickhead Garda on a powertrip (it happens, especially if they are given some stick...), but Im going to hazard a guess that there is more to this story than you are being told. Option 1 is valid; they can pay the fine, scrap the car and walk away. The Garda must have a reason for suspecting that option 2 is the other likely scenario though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I'm personally sick of hearing this type of scenario. There was a time when you'd be mortified to say that the Guards were on your case. Now it's like they're perceived as victimising people just by doing their job. I'd say they're at the end of their tethers with the multitude of excuses people come up with for not doing their civic duty and paying their due.

The cute hoor mentality is no longer tolerated. Pay up or pay the consequences.

Don't expect a sympathetic ear from the law enforcers any more. They're entitled to expect that you drive a roadworthy vehicle which is taxed.

Now a bit of humility for a change please.

I don't think that the OP is suggesting that anyone should not comply with their civic duty.

The issue is more to do with the the options supposedly given to the driver of the car by the Gardai. They don't really fall into the published laws regarding the issue.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    I don't think that the OP is suggesting that anyone should not comply with their civic duty.

The issue is more to do with the the options supposedly given to the driver of the car by the Gardai. They don't really fall into the published laws regarding the issue.

100%. I'm of the opinion that you break the law you pay, whatever that may be.

This "case" didn't feel right or just to me so I was looking for other opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Tax isnt even a point offence and nct is 5 points. If the gardai impounded it then he will need to pay the fine for no nct, back tax the car ,pay release fee for the car and book an nct. Thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

maybe it's an example of how certain gardai get a bit carried away with their perceived power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

What's BS?

So, if the person has instructed a solicitor and they too have been offered the 'deal', we are talking about a prosecution well down the road here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

According to the list of penalty points offences using a vehicle with no NCT is a mandatory court appearance, so even option 1 is bullflop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

What's BS?

They are making it up, AGS do not have the power to take a person's licence only a judge does and AGS would not offer what I would think is an illegal deal to a solicitor, they may something like your licence is at risk of the judge in this district is mindful to take a licence. But as a deal no this is not the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

They are making it up, AGS do not have the power to take a person's licence only a judge does and AGS would not offer what I would think is an illegal deal to a solicitor, they may something like your licence is at risk of the judge in this district is mindful to take a licence. But as a deal no this is not the USA.

They might also know of a reason why 5 points would equate to a driving ban (ie the person in question is already on 7+ points), which is why I am questioning whether or not the full story is being disclosed here.

Advertisement