Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

odd keyboard issue

Options
  • 21-09-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Keyboard: TT Esports Meka mechanical keyboard: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TT-ESPORTS-KB-MEG005UK-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B0059KCWJ8

Problem: It stops working about a minute after I plug it in.

Odd things:

1. It's still recognised by windows, it shows up in my devices window

2. It works with my sisters Imac without issue

3. When I put on capslocks on my ps/2 keyboard this keyboard lights up it's capslock button (though the button itself does not appear to work)

4. The USB ports in the keyboard appear to work (plugged my wired controller in via them.)

History: Back in january I rebuilt a substantial part of my pc, new motherboard, new cpu, new graphics card. But I prepped my windows 7 installation to be moved and while it was a bit of a hassle I moved everything across successfully. But this keyboard that had been working without issue with the previous motherboard has not worked with the current set up. I initially put it down to a busted keyboard and put it aside and used a cheap ps/2 keyboard in its place for work.

But in recent clean up I dug it back out and decided to test it with a different machine. Asked my sister to plug it into her mac and left it there for about 10-15 minutes, it worked without issue. Plugged it back into my pc and it stopped responding in less then a minute.

it honestly has me stumped cause it doesnt come with any drivers and the manufacturer's website say they dont need any. The computer recognises it and everything has power and seems to work.

But the keyboard itself doesnt? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I assume you have tried all the USB ports. Have you tried uninstalling the device in Device Manager, and allowing it to reinstall? Any options in the BIOS that could cause this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

all the usb ports have been tried, they all work fine for any other device and fail miserable with this one.

There might be something in Bios perhaps, it's a gigabyte motherboard and they do have some set up involving legacy drivers with the usb 3.0 or something, but I messed with them and it changed nothing except stopping my other devices from working.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it numerous times.

though it shows up as 3 HID keyboards instead of 1. When I uninstall it and then detect hardware changes, it just add the 3 HID keyboards back in.

it's a damn mystery.

It probably won't help but the only other thing I can think of is trying another USB keyboard to rule out fault with generic USB keyboard drivers.

already have a nostromo usb keypad plugged in and just plugged in a mac keyboard on top of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Did you move your Windows 7 installation to a new motherboard without reinstalling Windows 7?

You could try the guide here:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html

but also remove the drivers in the Human Interface Devices and Keyboards categories rather than just in the Universal Serial Bus controllers category:
    http://superuser.com/questions/548856/why-is-my-keyboard-not-working-after-moving-to-an-ssd

To determine if this is a Windows problem or a problem with your hardware, you could boot your computer from Linux on a USB flash drive and check if it works there.

• Advertisement

ok giving that a try and got a good feeling cause it's quite close to what I suspected was wrong, just didnt know how to fix it. but I got a lot of usb devices to uninstall so wont know for a bit if it worked or not.

*sigh*

right click

uninstall

right click

uninstall

sadly didnt work, will do the linux test tomorrow when I'm more awake.

found another sympton

keyboard works perfectly fine in safe mode.

I wonder if your last install of Windows (the OS you migrated to the new motherboard) had USB 3 drivers installed. If you did it might not be compatible for your current board, or you don't have it installed at all. It might be worth looking for the USB3 Host Controller driver for Win 7 from the motherboard webpage.

i've installed the usb3 drivers from the manufacterers website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

Uninstall the 'USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller' there seems to be a bit of an issue with some older kit when this is installed.

YuM wrote: »
    Uninstall the 'USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller' there seems to be a bit of an issue with some older kit when this is installed.

How will removing that effect my usb 3.0 ports? Will they be slower overall or is it just nonsense software from intel?

edit: cause it looks like this has fixed the issue, the keyboard is working longer then it has before, to the point that I was able to write this post with it and it hasnt stopped working yet.

which is odd cause I could have sworn I tried deleting and that usb 3.0 controller before, I guess I didnt. But yes this looks to be the solution

I've done this whole post on the keyboard and it hasnt sto

:D

it hasnt stopped working yet which is leagues over previous restarts.

ahh damn it spoke too soon

keyboard stopped working again.

but it lasted much longer that time.

weird

Advertisement