Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What is becoming a motorcyclist like?

• 21-09-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey so I wanted to know what becoming a motorcyclist is like,

What was your first step to doing so? How do you get a license (the tests)? Is there a test for different bikes? Basically I'm looking for an explanation of what is involved from having no motorbike license to riding something like a Honda CBR600RR.

I'm asking this mainly out of curiosity, so yeah, can anyone explain?
    (also apologies if there is a thread already similar to this)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056323977

Have a look through that thread that's in bold at the top of the forum :P

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

A sportbike like the CBR600RR would be a bad first bike, would be like getting a ferrari for your first car. You probably wouldn't be able to get insured on it in the first place. Better to start on a less powerful bike as you will learn a lot faster. When you have enough experience you can get the bike you really want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If you're already looking at fast bikes you should not be looking at all. Too dangerous. Get a moped

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There will be plenty of threads and tips etc on the ins and out but I'd like to offer my 2c on the other bits.

Riding a bike can be the most fun commuting experience ever. Even a commute to work can be fun. If you want to know why dogs stick their heads out of the window in a car, just ride a bike!

That being sad it's also unfortunately a dangerous form of transport and when getting first set up there are steps that we should take before venturing out.

Training. Do it. Not just the bare minimum. Do what you can. It will safe your life.

Gear. Invest in what you can afford. Full protection head to toe no matter the weather. It will save your life.

Ride within your limits. Don't take chances. Riding a bike often makes us feel invincible. We're definitely not. Remember all the training in the world and the most expensive protective gear won't prevent other drivers causing collisions so limit adding to the risk.

Stay safe and have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Driving a bike is like making love to a beautiful woman ....

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 allwonder

Thanks guys for the help ,
    and Pugzilla I didn't mean I'd get a Cbr600rr as a first bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The amount of red tape you have to go through these days seems like a serious pain in the arse. But its well worth it, even the commute is fun. I regularly take days off just to go for a drive. Going for a spin is far more common for bikers compared to car drivers because it's so much cheaper to get a bike that's exciting to drive compared with a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Cienciano wrote: »
    The amount of red tape you have to go through these days seems like a serious pain in the arse. But its well worth it, even the commute is fun. I regularly take days off just to go for a drive. Going for a spin is far more common for bikers compared to car drivers because it's so much cheaper to get a bike that's exciting to drive compared with a car.

i hear ya! a 24yr africa twin on knobblie tyres is certainly exciting to ride esp in the wet!:cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

allwonder wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the help ,
    and Pugzilla I didn't mean I'd get a Cbr600rr as a first bike

If you like the sportbike style, a Suzuki SV650s or Kawasaki ER-6f would be good first bikes.

Advertisement