Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone from Northern Ireland moving to Australia/New Zealand?

Options
  • 21-09-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Thinking of moving to Australia or New Zealand and taking a career break for a year! Anyone know any recruitment agencies? I'm in the health and social care profession and want to see if I can contact any employers before making the big move! I have citizenship as I emigrated with my family over ten years ago so thankfully a visa isn't required for me :) just need the courage to fly the nest!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Aimee_24 wrote: »
    Thinking of moving to Australia or New Zealand and taking a career break for a year! Anyone know any recruitment agencies? I'm in the health and social care profession and want to see if I can contact any employers before making the big move! I have citizenship as I emigrated with my family over ten years ago so thankfully a visa isn't required for me :) just need the courage to fly the nest!

Will you marry me, then we can go together? Might be quicker than getting a visa for me :pac:

Weather will certainly be better down under ,good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aimee_24

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Will you marry me, then we can go together? Might be quicker than getting a visa for me :pac:

Weather will certainly be better down under ,good luck :)

Haha! where are you thinking of going? yea the weather is definitely better and standard of living too hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Flippin

Unless you have a skillset that will be in demand, I wouldn't bother with agencies at this stage. They get so many applications from abroad, that you'd really need to have something to offer to make them spend the time on your query (they are a business after all).

My advice? Just get on the plane. A visa isn't a problem for you, so just do it. It's not that much money in the cosmic scale of things, and there's plenty of other work you could get over there if you're just willing to do it while you wait for something better to come along.

Face-to-face contact will open so many more doors for you over there in either country (but NZ is better!).

Good luck whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Aimee_24 wrote: »
    Haha! where are you thinking of going? yea the weather is definitely better and standard of living too hopefully!

Not sure, Syd, or Melbourne, depending on where work is more likely.. anyway, think I`m stuck here for a while longer :pac:

Flippin wrote: »
    Unless you have a skillset that will be in demand, I wouldn't bother with agencies at this stage. They get so many applications from abroad, that you'd really need to have something to offer to make them spend the time on your query (they are a business after all).

My advice? Just get on the plane. A visa isn't a problem for you, so just do it. It's not that much money in the cosmic scale of things, and there's plenty of other work you could get over there if you're just willing to do it while you wait for something better to come along.

Face-to-face contact will open so many more doors for you over there in either country (but NZ is better!).

Good luck whatever you do.

Are you in New Zealand? I'm intrigued as to why it is better lol! My brother is there at the min and finding it hard to get work, he's labouring to get him by but it's not great money considering the cost of living is dear! Getting on a plane is what I'll have to do- alone is scary! Maybe go to nz first and see what it's like and move in with the brother and take it from there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Flippin

Not in NZ but a Kiwi, so I'm obliged to say it's better than Oz :-)

The ex-wife (not a Kiwi) tried things over the phone and via email over there, but nothing worked. She turned up in person and it was a whole new ballgame, by a factor of 1000. If you're going there to make a fortune though, forget it (at least in NZ). If you're going there to get some life experience, have a great time, make heaps of friends and open up a world of opportunities, go for it (in either country). You've got the visa, you've a brother over there. Nothing scary at all.

Flippin wrote: »
    Not in NZ but a Kiwi, so I'm obliged to say it's better than Oz :-)

The ex-wife (not a Kiwi) tried things over the phone and via email over there, but nothing worked. She turned up in person and it was a whole new ballgame, by a factor of 1000. If you're going there to make a fortune though, forget it (at least in NZ). If you're going there to get some life experience, have a great time, make heaps of friends and open up a world of opportunities, go for it (in either country). You've got the visa, you've a brother over there. Nothing scary at all.

You sound just like my conscience lol having him over there is great, it's just whether to go to Australia or New Zealand. A year is nothing I suppose, just a big step for me! Yea I agree, emailing and Skype interviews just aren't the same as being face to face with a potential employer. I can take a career break and still have a job here so that gives me some security! Thanks for ur advice, it's really helpful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

There is Work in Melbourne in Health and Social Care.

State governments and their sub-contractors etc

Aged care
    Youth Care
    etc

There is Work in Melbourne in Health and Social Care.

State governments and their sub-contractors etc

Aged care
    Youth Care
    etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

I'm living in Auckland and I bloody love the place! Much prefer it to Oz. So much to do around here all the time. Scenery is jaw dropping. Climate is much nicer too. Home away from home really! Plenty of work in and around the Construction sector- the economy is booming at the moment. PM me if you have any questions! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tackman7

Hi I am really interested in this thread. I am a 32 year old male from Mayo in Ireland. I hope to move to New Zealand very soon. I have a four year degree in Social Care Work. My main concern is my age as I was made aware that getting a work visa would be difficult and that I would only be able to stay on a holiday visa for three months unless I got sponsored. How would I get sponsored and are there places that would sponsor me with my qualification? Can anyone help me on this issue please?? Thank You.

Tackman7 wrote: »
    Hi I am really interested in this thread. I am a 32 year old male from Mayo in Ireland. I hope to move to New Zealand very soon. I have a four year degree in Social Care Work. My main concern is my age as I was made aware that getting a work visa would be difficult and that I would only be able to stay on a holiday visa for three months unless I got sponsored. How would I get sponsored and are there places that would sponsor me with my qualification? Can anyone help me on this issue please?? Thank You.

Dude we have an NZ forum, they may be more help

Advertisement