Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers "Fans" Disgrace the club

• 21-09-2014 7:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/mourner-brutally-attacked-outside-wake-4300720
    A mourner brutally attacked outside a wake by drunken football thugs has told how he feared for his life.

Paul McGee, 37, was left with horrific injuries after a group of Shamrock Rovers fans attacked him outside a house in Dundalk.

Paul was with his wife Dara at the wake of her grandmother Maura Coleman, 77, when he says he was struck in the face with a beer can.

The innocent mourner was left shaken with a broken nose, a fractured eye socket and had to receive six stitches in his face following the cowardly assault.

He was with Eddie Coleman, a son of the deceased, when a group of more than 70 Shamrock Rovers fans walked along the road past Mrs Coleman’s house in Pearse Park in the town on Saturday afternoon before the match between Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk FC.

Paul told the Irish Mirror: “My nose is broken, I have had 6 stitches to my face and the doctors think my eye socket is fractured.

“What happened was disgraceful and unreal. The can was smashed into my face without any warning and it was completely unprovoked.”

Paul said he could not believe it when they set upon him as he had not engaged them at all.

Eddie Coleman (left) and Paul McGee pictured outside the home of Maura Coleman
    He said: “They had no regard for anyone or anything. If I had not gone behind a van (parked outside) I think they would have killed me. I didn’t even look at them in fact when I first saw them I thought they were Dundalk fans. ”

Furious Eddie branded the attackers “scum” and said the incident had added to his family’s grief.

He hit out: “We as a family condemn this violence as we waked my mother. They were throwing cans into the garden as they passed by and I said to them ‘would you show a bit of respect, there is a wake here, maybe take your rubbish with you’.

“Then one of the crowd assaulted Paul with the can and when other family members came outside to see what was happening, the crowd verbally abused them calling them ‘sheep sh*****s,’ and ‘**** bag.’

“My mother had 7 children and 28 grand-children and 5 great grand-children so when the children came out they saw this and they were crying. My mother would be horrified at this behaviour. She was one of the nicest people you could meet and we were never ever in any trouble.

“We condemn this behaviour from so-called Shamrock Rover’s fans, I am sure there are decent Shamrock Rover’s fans but these were the scum of the Earth and they weren’t young, they looked to be in their 30’s and 40’s.”

The family wants to know why any football fans were directed into a residential area.

The estate where the incident happened
    Eddie added: “We want answers as to how these rowdy drunken hooligans ended up passing by our vicinity.”

The family has made a complaint to the gardai and officers are investigating the violent incident.

A spokesman for Dundalk gardai confirmed: “There was an issue with some Shamrock Rovers supporters who took a wrong turn to the match. We are aware an incident occurred in Pearse Park.

"We were very disappointed to hear something happened at a wake house.”

Mrs Coleman will be buried in Dundalk on Monday morning.

It is understood that a number of Shamrock Rovers fans had already caused a disturbance in the town centre before the brutal attack.

One man, who did not want to be named, said he witnessed elderly people being abused.

He told the Irish Mirror: “They were drinking in a pub in the middle of the town and pretty quickly it got ugly. They ran up the middle of the town.

“They started abusing children and elderly people and banging on cars and all sorts.

“It was absolutely disgraceful. There has been some needle between Dundalk and Rovers fans in the past but this was beyond that.

“I am sure most Rovers fans are decent but these lads were a disgrace to their club.”

Obvs the same little pricks who were on the BBC 3 Football Hooligan Show few weeks back

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Probably the same scum that were in the stand calling Stephen kenny a Cnut in front of women and children . They were a lot quiter at the end of the game!
    The majority of rovers fans though were grand with good banter to and frowing.
    Great game but both clubs in fairness and a great atmosphere overall .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blingrhino wrote: »
    Probably the same scum that were in the stand calling Stephen kenny a Cnut in front of women and children . They were a lot quiter at the end of the game!
    The majority of rovers fans though were grand with good banter to and frowing.
    Great game but both clubs in fairness and a great atmosphere overall .

If you find bad language an offence and don't want women or kids hearing it, Football is not really the Sport for you IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

If you find bad language an offence and don't want women or kids hearing it, Football is not really the Sport for you IMO

That's not good enough. Grown men roaring the c word is not part and parcel of going to football matches. If you can't bring a child to a match then that has to change.

That's not good enough. Grown men roaring the c word is not part and parcel of going to football matches. If you can't bring a child to a match then that has to change.

Id say every club in Ireland has fans that shout/sing/say the word **** at every game!
    Id say every club in the World even!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Absolutely not on to imply Kenny was called a cnut.

I'm almost certain it was actually 'big eared cnut'.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »

They should be locked up :D

Id say every club in Ireland has fans that shout/sing/say the word **** at every game!
    Id say every club in the World even!

Yeah you're right I guess.

Ah that's not right. His ears aren't that big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Pack of dirty scum. Always the same ****e with a minority of the Rovers..

Also, what is their obsession with sheep? There are more sheep in the hills behind SDCC stadium than there are in Dundalk.

Pack of dirty scum. Always the same ****e with a minority of the Rovers..

Also, what is their obsession with sheep? There are more sheep in the hills behind SDCC stadium than there are in Dundalk.

In fairness we have quite a few Scumbags aswell but this is the lowest of the low IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is as bad as it gets, but at the same time I don't see why your normal Rovers fan who goes to games every week without the need to assault people needs to feel any guilt like some would make out.

CSF wrote: »
    This is as bad as it gets, but at the same time I don't see why your normal Rovers fan who goes to games every week without the need to assault people needs to feel any guilt like some would make out.

Because sooner or later the Guards in Dundalk are going to say Fcuk It, No Away Fans will be allowed to Oriel because every time, its Rovers "fans" casuing trouble in Dundalk/Oriel

Incidents nearly every season now since we came back up (Bohs once and yourselves every other time)

Because sooner or later the Guards in Dundalk are going to say Fcuk It, No Away Fans will be allowed to Oriel because every time, its Rovers "fans" casuing trouble in Dundalk/Oriel

Incidents nearly every season now since we came back up (Bohs once and yourselves every other time)

I don't support Rovers Jaysus no!!!!

CSF wrote: »
    I don't support Rovers Jaysus no!!!!

AhnI know you dont, Im just saying I can see it happening if they cause trouble here next season again, be grand for game this year as its a Monday...Most these scumbags prob on dole so wont get paid till Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Seen a picture of the chap last night after he got stitches, looked a serious injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Scummy thing to do even for their Standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

In fairness we have quite a few Scumbags aswell but this is the lowest of the low IMO

It was low, but not the lowest. Remember a few Rovers fans were giving Simon Webb abuse about his wife who had just died.
    The thing is, nothing is done about any of these incidents. Clubs don't really care because most of the time it's season ticket buying fans that do this stuff.
    And in fairness Dundalk have their fair share of skangbag fans too

Cienciano wrote: »
    It was low, but not the lowest. Remember a few Rovers fans were giving Simon Webb abuse about his wife who had just died.
    The thing is, nothing is done about any of these incidents. Clubs don't really care because most of the time it's season ticket buying fans that do this stuff.

To be fair, what would the Rovers board be able to do if these lowlifes manage to assault someone at a funeral without arrest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

was heading into the pub and there was a gang of about 50 or so Rovers fans marching through the centre of town, drinking booze and some where grabbing car wing mirrors, some were marching on the road... they were shouting "free state Bas*****"... pretty imtimadating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

dont have a problem with them kicking the heads off each other if thats their thing but when innocent people are attacked its very wrong

• Advertisement

Was told by a few people that the guy came out of the house because people were chanting and singing when walking past the house and starting shouting at people and apparently threatened to have people shot and that's when the fighting started.

Wasn't there obviously so can't verify it but if it's true it's a little bit different to the events claimed in the article.

Plus the whole wake thing. I'm sorry for the family's loss but how the hell would people walking by singing en route to a cup final know that somebody was being waked in the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Was told by a few people that the guy came out of the house because people were chanting and singing when walking past the house and starting shouting at people and apparently threatened to have people shot and that's when the fighting started.

Wasn't there obviously so can't verify it but if it's true it's a little bit different to the events claimed in the article.

Plus the whole wake thing. I'm sorry for the family's loss but how the hell would people walking by singing en route to a cup final know that somebody was being waked in the house?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rovers fans were walking down the road arm in arm, singing hymns and enjoying the sunshine when a group of disgusting mourners decided to attack them. One even had the audacity to smash a full beer can belonging to an innocent Rovers fan with his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

There were black funeral traffic cones outside, so the story goes. Whether that attracted a few pissed up lads to go too far in the first place, you couldn't be sure, but given form...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/shamrock-rovers-fans-broke-my-nose-with-a-beer-can-at-family-wake-30605082.html

The entire family of mourners are lying and you expect us to believe information you obviously received secondhand from scumbags that were involved? It was a friend of mine's aunt that died and I'm sure as hell going to believe their family over the absolute filth that attach itself to your club. Any decent Rovers fans are disgusted by this incident. I think you are a disgrace for trying to justify it with bull**** second hand information.

Bateman wrote: »
    but given form...

Bit rich from a gypo fan.

doncarlos wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/shamrock-rovers-fans-broke-my-nose-with-a-beer-can-at-family-wake-30605082.html

The entire family of mourners are lying and you expect us to believe information you obviously received secondhand from scumbags that were involved? It was a friend of mine's aunt that died and I'm sure as hell going to believe their family over the absolute filth that attach itself to your club. Any decent Rovers fans are disgusted by this incident. I think you are a disgrace for trying to justify it with bull**** second hand information.

Wasn't justifying anything. Just saying what I heard. Like everybody else here.

Typical Rovers response

Wasn't justifying anything. Just saying what I heard. Like everybody else here.

Come off it, you were saying he started it. If that's not justification I don't know what is.

And by the way here is a post from a Rovers fan on foot.ie seems to contridict what you've heard and actually backs up what the family are saying

I didn't see the guy being attacked as I was at the back of the group but from what I heard he was attacked without provocation by one scumbag who was dragged away by right-thinking hoops and a couple more drunk eejits continued an argument with the family while the brave members of the Garda Síochana sat in their armoured car and watched. The police should have talked to the guy and tried to apprehend the culprit but clearly that didn't happen. I can't really offer any more information than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

A bit odd how these types who'd be usually anglophobic in all other aspects of their lives indulge in the quintessentially English 'yob culture' that used to be looked down upon before the Celtic Tiger era.

• Advertisement

Come off it, you were saying he started it. If that's not justification I don't know what is.I]

Nope I said what I heard. That lad on fool.ie said what he heard. Neither of us saw it personally.

Not downplaying what happened to the guy either. Not a nice thing to happen. Don't mind discussing it with dundalk supporters but I'm fcuked if I'm listening to sanctimonious hand wringing lectures from gypos when their lads are in rows all over the country themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rovers fans were walking down the road arm in arm, singing hymns and enjoying the sunshine when a group of disgusting mourners decided to attack them. One even had the audacity to smash a full beer can belonging to an innocent Rovers fan with his face.

Love it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I am actually inclined to believe that as usual, there are 2 sides to it.

I was talking more about the optics, as usual for neutral observers there doesn't seem to be much slack to be cut to Rovers here.

Smashing up Michael McKevitt's pub as well, oh dear. I presume the older lads had no truck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cienciano wrote: »

Haven't several clubs banned fans this season? Have seen a few stories.

I know 11 lads have been barred from Tolka this season, 10 for an incident in Waterford which was blown completely out of proportion by the club and most of the lads shouldn't be barred. It's the case of getting the right medium.

Not sure how clubs are meant to bar fans for actions outside of grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Not sure how clubs are meant to bar fans for actions outside of grounds.

Have to start treating them like prisoners on a work programme.

4688913_std.jpg

"Chanting a song, Boss"

Nope I said what I heard. That lad on fool.ie said what he heard. Neither of us saw it personally.

Not downplaying what happened to the guy either. Not a nice thing to happen. Don't mind discussing it with dundalk supporters but I'm fcuked if I'm listening to sanctimonious hand wringing lectures from gypos when their lads are in rows all over the country themselves

I heard a similar story that the bloke was ''Lippy'' but how can a group of 70 justify starting on 1 bloke? that's a scummy cowardly thing to do and it's not surprising with some of them eijets.

• Advertisement

major bill wrote: »
    I heard a similar story that the bloke was ''Lippy'' but how can a group of 70 justify starting on 1 bloke? that's a scummy cowardly thing to do and it's not surprising with some of them eijets.

They prob thought he was another "Free State Bastard" because their is a video of them walking through Dundalk singing "Free State Bastards" (its in Humour Thread)...They forgot where they come from it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Sinn Fein " youth wing" on tour.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Sinn Fein " youth wing" on tour.

Still does not make sense for people from Dublin calling Dundalk people "Free State Bastards"

Ive Northern Catholic mates who call me it and I know the Loyalists/Unionists call anyone from the 26 it but I really cant undersatand Shamrock Rovers fans singing it anywhere never mind Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Still does not make sense for people from Dublin calling Dundalk people "Free State Bastards"

Ive Northern Catholic mates who call me it and I know the Loyalists/Unionists call anyone from the 26 it but I really cant undersatand Shamrock Rovers fans singing it anywhere never mind Dundalk

Surely that chant was aimed at the Gardai who were following them rather than the local townsfolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Bateman wrote: »
    Smashing up Michael McKevitt's pub as well, oh dear. I presume the older lads had no truck with that.
    The bar wasn't smashed up. I was there. It was completely untouched - people were drinking there with the full permission of the landlord and fans left without causing any trouble. This is a bad enough situation without people plain making things up.

• Advertisement

Wasn't in the pub myself. I was tasked with causing Ebola at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cringe on so many levels.

Lets go down a street and taunt OAP's

Alias G wrote: »
    Surely that chant was aimed at the Gardai who were following them rather than the local townsfolk.

Think you're right tbf, as dumb as they are that's a common name for Gardai

Advertisement