Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best and Worst Stations

• 21-09-2014 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Just want to hear your opinions on the best and worst stations in terms of functionality, how safe they are and anti social behavier.

Bayside is full of anti social behavier, that tunnel beside it is dangerous. Portmarnock isnt the best looking station but it does its job

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Heuston is the best and most modern major station, million miles ahead of Connolly even if the screens are not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

In terms of functionality there is none for customers in any of the stations built recently on the Maynooth line.

Conversely Hazelhatch, which has quite low patronage compared to the other North Kildare commuter stations, has a heated waiting room, lifts to all platforms, and customer toilets.

devnull wrote: »
    Heuston is the best and most modern major station, million miles ahead of Connolly even if the screens are not great.

Apart from far less trains, the only other thing Heuston has which Connolly doesn't is a Supermac's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

n97 mini wrote: »
    ...... Hazelhatch, which has quite low patronage compared to the other North Kildare commuter stations, has a heated waiting room, lifts to all platforms, and customer toilets.

Low patronage is probably why they have toilets, the jacks in Dun Laoghaire Dart station hasn't been open in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: BROOMBRIDGE!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broombridge_railway_station

The pride of Cabra/Finglas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

room_149 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: BROOMBRIDGE!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broombridge_railway_station

The pride of Cabra/Finglas

Yep a worse nightmare for maynooth line users (that dont use broombridge), would be to get stuck there!

There is a hope though that with plans for the luas to terminate there and other plans for the area such as dits planned sports complex, that we might be see a bit of work done in the area and make it more secure.

thomasj wrote: »
    Yep a worse nightmare for maynooth line users (that dont use broombridge), would be to get stuck there!

There is a hope though that with plans for the luas to terminate there and other plans for the area such as dits planned sports complex, that we might be see a bit of work done in the area and make it more secure.

It's been a lot quieter there of late in fairness.
    I've also noticed that more people appear to be using the station in the mornings/ evenings.
    The luas works will definitely help improve the place as they'll have to employ full time security to watch the sight while building work is taking place. Irish Rail might even install ticket machines/ leap card readers then in turn.
    The only downside of course is that people who use the service there will have to start paying to travel to and from Maynooth ;)

Apart from far less trains, the only other thing Heuston has which Connolly doesn't is a Supermac's!

It's more spacious and more modern, it has a kind of major UK train station feel about it and a much better selection of retail outlets as well, and I'm not just talking about Supermacs! For me it's just an awful lot nicer station, despite the fact that it's not as useful as Connolly is trains wise.

Pearse isn't bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

:D

Galway and Limerick are some dumps for terminal stations. Connolly and Peasre need roof replacements which would really be a big improvement.

I do agree about Heuston but the security need to do there jobs and removed the junkies who usually block the entrance (Luas side) regularly.

In general our stations over here compare well if not better than many European ones which are very basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Howth Junction is diabolical. Ugly, unnecessary, un secured, open monstrosity. Always a smell of p*ss, usually worse, lifts broken, no staff, paths from kilbarrack side unlit and dangerous.

Skerries is a nice station, I always thought.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    :D

Galway and Limerick are some dumps for terminal stations.

That has more to do with the cities they are located in than anything ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Good:
    Malahide
    Skerries
    Arklow
    Pearse
    Killarney
    Little Island
    Roscrea
    Westport
    Claremorris
    Muine Bheag

Worst
    Broombridge
    Howth Junction
    Limerick
    Kilbarrack
    Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

In terms of functionality there is none for customers in any of the stations built recently on the Maynooth line.

Conversely Hazelhatch, which has quite low patronage compared to the other North Kildare commuter stations, has a heated waiting room, lifts to all platforms, and customer toilets.

You have merely stumbled across the misguided investment strategy of Irish Rail that's a combination of political interference and company ineptitude. There are no lifts in Sallins, only an ugly wheelchair accessible bridge that took a while to get built. But the nearly unused station at Monasterevan is a state of the art facility where a few lads can climb under tracks and become social media darlings such is the desolate nature of its existance.

Waterford

Whats the problem (aside from the current issues with platforms?). It was done up a few years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Good:

Little Island

Have to take issue with some of the smaller unmanned Cobh line stations, if there's a prolonged breakdown, passengers are left in complete ignorance as to when the next train will ever arrive. It wouldn't kill them to send someone out from Kent to advise and/or direct people to buses when they're substituted. Plenty lads hanging around there just scratching themselves.
    Also, you wouldn't want to get 'caught short' at any of them.

Platform 1 and 2 at Cork, if you can call them that are awful at Cork.

I know the roof collapsed 9 months ago destroying everything with it, but there are no platform numbers, no seating, no displays, no speakers, not even a timetable there.

I know it takes time to build something, but surely they could at least put some piece of furniture there? It looks abandoned right now.

Platform 1 and 2 at Cork, if you can call them that are awful at Cork.

I know the roof collapsed 9 months ago destroying everything with it, but there are no platform numbers, no seating, no displays, no speakers, not even a timetable there.

I know it takes time to build something, but surely they could at least put some piece of furniture there? It looks abandoned right now.

No money for rebuilding it right now, most likely. And the PA is only in use when there's staff in the ticket counters I imagine.

All those things mentioned are on the main concourse, it's not as if you have to set up camp on 1 & 2 esp, when it's pelting rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Claremorris is a good station??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Cork's a dump and has been for years. Nice building from an architectural point of view but full of the bolshiest staff in CIE; and since the buffet was turned into warm offices for staff travel centre there's nowhere to get a decent meal. :mad:

No money for rebuilding it right now,

IE were given funding for it to be rebuilt. Now weather they are tendering the contracts or have used the cash to fill the financial hole in the company is another question. It could also be the DoT may not of actually released the cash yet.

• Advertisement

No money for rebuilding it right now, most likely. And the PA is only in use when there's staff in the ticket counters I imagine.

All those things mentioned are on the main concourse, it's not as if you have to set up camp on 1 & 2 esp, when it's pelting rain.

Nobody asked for rebuilding.

They can address some of these things on a temporary basis without rebuilding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Heuston; good, nice screens, spread out, not many trains.

Connolly; good, screens where you need them, crammed, lots of trains.

Broombridge; very bad, abort, abort, abort! Everything not bolted to the ground has been stolen, burnt, or smashed up. Scumbags view the trains as a source of amusement, and everyone prays the train doesn't stop there for long. No business nearby, looks like desolate factories on the "train side" of the canal, alongst with fields that are used by the scum to congregate. Pointless pumping money into the place.

As for the Luas stopping at Broombridge; can't see it happening. The Luas will stop elsewhere, as they usually store the Luas at the stop places, and storing the Luas, or anything shiny and of value, at Broombridge, is a bad idea. Stopping it at Ashtown would make more sense.

the_syco wrote: »
    Heuston; good, nice screens, spread out, not many trains.

Connolly; good, screens where you need them, crammed, lots of trains.

Broombridge; very bad, abort, abort, abort! Everything not bolted to the ground has been stolen, burnt, or smashed up. Scumbags view the trains as a source of amusement, and everyone prays the train doesn't stop there for long. No business nearby, looks like desolate factories on the "train side" of the canal, alongst with fields that are used by the scum to congregate. Pointless pumping money into the place.

As for the Luas stopping at Broombridge; can't see it happening. The Luas will stop elsewhere, as they usually store the Luas at the stop places, and storing the Luas, or anything shiny and of value, at Broombridge, is a bad idea. Stopping it at Ashtown would make more sense.

The LUAS works will commence next year at Broombridge. When it's finished it will house a new depot & a hub that will link the western arrow commuter line with the LUAS Green line. It will travel into the city via Cabra, Phibsboro, Grangegorman, the old Broadstone station, Dominicks St, Parnell st, Marlborough & then over the river to St Stephens Green. People in the know have told me that there will be a beefed up security presence in the area whilst the works take place & afterwards when DIT's new playing fields are in place there. The platforms as we know (and love them:rolleyes:) know will be transformed.

I take your point about the place being a kip, but the area adjacent to the station is far from being a wasteland. Kepack aside, there are quite are number of Businesses & Factories in the Dublin Industrial estate just to the left of Broombridge- Colorman (sic) & MWV Healthcare Dublin employ over 200 people each for example. Woodies, Kodak & Lidl are a few mins walk down the road, as is Ricoh and Des Kelly. There are other life Science firms in the estate too, and as I drove through the estate last Thursday, I was surprised to see that occupancy rate for the place was at the 70% mark now

The Ballybogan rd, which is a 5 min walk from the stations platform's also houses a large number of companies and business too.
    Many people working there are warned off using Broombridge due to its well documented problems. Hence the low numbers of people getting on and off there, I guess.
    So it is hoped the luas works will act as an instrument of change for the area along with the DIT sports complex.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Whats the problem (aside from the current issues with platforms?). It was done up a few years ago!

When I used it as a student in the early 90s the bar was always open when I was there. Permanently closed now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a brand new An Post Sorting office on Bannow Rd too just around the corner from Broombridge.

The train station is not used much but the area around it is buzzing with businesses and maybe, just maybe when the LUAS opens and the station is revamped people will start using it in their droves.

Nobody asked for rebuilding.

They can address some of these things on a temporary basis without rebuilding.

There's platform numbers at the entrance to each platform. They're not that hard to find, it's not like it's a uk-sized massive station. There's one HUGE display in the main concourse and several smaller ones in other spots.
    Seriously, do people have to be spoon-fed all the time?

There's platform numbers at the entrance to each platform. They're not that hard to find, it's not like it's a uk-sized massive station. There's one HUGE display in the main concourse and several smaller ones in other spots.

I will tell you a story.

A few weeks ago I was in Cork, passengers and tourists at that wanting to see the historic area of Cobh and Fota went through the gates which were already open and no staff at the gates and the displays were flicking a touch.

A train is parked either side both on Platform 1 and Platform 2, the train on Platform 1 says "COBH" on the back of it and the second one says MIDDLETON. Passengers walk around asking which train is going to Cobh, since they saw the previously flickering board say platform 2, but see a train going to Cobh on Platform 1. Passenger then runs down the front of the train to see that the train on Platform 1 shows COBH on the front of it and the other one shows nothing on the front of it.

Passenger then waits for train on platform 1, whilst locals then go and get on the train on Platform 2, despite it not having any destination on it, since they know from previous days. Tourists then wait at platform 1, since after all the train says it's going to Cobh and there is nothing to say that they are not on the correct platform, after looking around for information and platform numnbers and the train says it's going to COBH so therefore it must be right?

Meanwhile after we stop at Glounthaune someone asks me is this the train to Middleton, so I say no, to which they said that the train had Middleton on it and they were told it would be "The first bank of platforms on the left, look for Middleton" by staff. they then get to Fota and realise they need to go back where they came from. Another disgruntled tourist then complains why there was no information on the platform, no display, no announcements at all on the train and the destination was wrong on the train saying it was going to Middleton when it wasn't.

Passengers don't need to be spoon fed, but it's not too much to ask for a company to provide a basic level of information and to ensure that where there is not proper information on platforms, adequate alternatives, be they no more than a temporary sign or a staff member calling out where the train is going or at least setting the destination right. Passenger Information is a huge problem on Irish Rail, and there seems to always be a minefold of excuses why this is so, rather than actually providing a proper level of information as you'd find in other countries.

If you want to see this shambles on a much bigger scale, look in the commuting and transport forum for the topic about last Friday in Connolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Connolly (platforms 5-7) has been a staff-free zone for years - and never a manager to be seen.

Connolly (platforms 5-7) has been a staff-free zone for years - and never a manager to be seen.

I've seen small armies of staff greeting trains at some stations down the country. Feast or Famine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I quote often see staff at platforms 6/7 I'm in Connolly 4 days a week

There's often staff on Connolly 6-7 alright, normally at peak hours only though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I use Connolly quite a bit. I don't think its the worst station, but it lacks decent shops, and the internal layout is very poor.

The main problem in Connolly is the lack of clear information and signage. Its brutal.

The outside platforms are seriously cold in the winter. No shelter from the wind at all.

In terms of functionality there is none for customers in any of the stations built recently on the Maynooth line....

+1 Most of the stations have no shelter from wind or rain. They aren't really stations, just a platform and a ticket machine.

I...Pearse isn't bad either.

While they have improved it a bit over the last couple of years. Theres very little in pearse. It has the potential to be a nice space, but its feels like an engine shed.

The toilets feel like they should be in trainspotting.

I don't agree its got book shop, decent newsagent, decent deli place. Access for drop off and picks are better. It just feels like a proper station. Agreed that part of that is that its a different kind of line and the traffic reflects that.

Connolly has a poor layout just to the lines passing through and where its sited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I think Howth is a beautiful station

Shankill is horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Howth Junctions complexity is beyond bizarre. A couple of winters ago I had to go to FAS Baldoyle, every night for a week. FAS is right beside the station & there is a short cut to their car park, directly off one of the platforms. But actually getting to the platform, from Northbound Darts (coming from town) was like something out of an Indiana Jones movie.

You get off the train, go up stairs, across a walkway bridge, down more stairs, past the ticket barrier and out the actual main door of the station onto the actual street....then you have to go back into the station via another station entrance, you go up more stairs, across another bridge walkway, down more stairs and then onto the platform where the pathway to FAS is.

That may sound simple, but it is not, because at every turning, you have more than one option for where to go or where to turn. Nothing is sign posted and the lighting is crap, so you have no idea where you are going. ( I only found my way to it because I had printed directions, there is no way you'd find it by yourself, especially in the dark.)

Once you have eventually found the platform you want, the walkway to the FAS path is not lit at all & has high hedges on one side and a high metal railing on the other. It is quite scary to walk down it after dark, because the hedges make you feel very hemmed in. There were usually hoodie clad locals scaling the fences, presumably to access the platforms without paying. Having said locals then pulling their hoodies down over their faces, as they approached you (presumably not to be seen on CCTV cameras) was not a great way to instill confidence that you were in a safe environment. You are still on Irish Rail property all the time, so you can't blame FAS for the crap lighting.

I had a bad back at the time, so climbing stairs was incredibly painful. Naturally, the lifts rarely worked. The floor of the stairs was a highly polished tiled stone. When it got wet (which it always did when it rained) it was very slippy, so I was always petrified about falling and hurting my back even more.

Sorry for the length of this rant, but two years later & I still remember the pain of having to climb all of those interminable stairs, the terror of slipping & falling, as well as the worry about getting mugged.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

Clongriffin is excellent but overkill :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Colonial wrote: »
    Clongriffin is excellent but overkill :)

What do you mean by "overkill" ?

Adamstown and all the stations in the same style. Awful design and despite having expansive roofs the stations are soaking wet inside, so much so that the turnstyle machines need to have waterproof covers. I don't really know what the point of these stations were, they seem to be a massive waste of money and better stations could have been built for a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Adamstown and all the stations in the same style. Awful design and despite having expansive roofs the stations are soaking wet inside, so much so that the turnstyle machines need to have waterproof covers. I don't really know what the point of these stations were, they seem to be a massive waste of money and better stations could have been built for a fraction of the price.

Developer paid and off the peg stations, I'm afraid. Bad and all as they are, they are a step or two over the likes of Coolmine, Bayside, Oranmore or even Belfast's Finaghy, Adelaide and so on.

That said, I can't see any of them being held in the same acclaim in 150 years time as we hold the likes of Heuston, Malahide, Cork etc today.

Developer paid and off the peg stations,

Not really. Had there been no bust the developer would have recouped his costs from the residents of Adamstown. However I understand Castlethorn's debts went into Nama, so the taxpayer covered it.

I actually don't agree that they're an improvement over Coolmine, as neither of them offer anything in the way of customer facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Not really. Had there been no bust the developer would have recouped his costs from the residents of Adamstown. However I understand Castlethorn's debts went into Nama, so the taxpayer covered it.

I actually don't agree that they're an improvement over Coolmine, as neither of them offer anything in the way of customer facilities.

Irish Rail didn't pay for the stations though directly or otherwise; the relevant developers and site owners did or are at least indebted to Irish Rail for the cost of a station. If NAMA actually paid Irish Rail for a station then NAMA will recoup it sooner or later.

If you think that the likes of Coolmine is better facility wise than the new stations, well you are for the birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I'd have to admit that I think the concourse areas of those Kildare line stations are awful too - they should be enclosed. Leaving gaps open to the elements means they can get quite wet and freezing as well depending on the weather. A really bizarre design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

What do you mean by "overkill" ?

It was build with a lot higher traffic in mind... Clongriffin is where the bubble seems to have burst :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Colonial wrote: »
    It was build with a lot higher traffic in mind... Clongriffin is where the bubble seems to have burst :)

Well it was built to allow overtaking northbound, which has proved useful on occasions when a late running Enterprise has overtaken a DART. Unfortunately a loop wasn't installed southbound - a rather bizarre decision.

It also was designed to facilitate any future spur to the Airport - which in all likelihood would be from north of the station. I think it is better that it has been future proofed (like the layouts at Hazelhatch and Adamstown).

If you think that the likes of Coolmine is better facility wise than the new stations, well you are for the birds.

Without getting personal, what do you think Adamstown does better than Coolmine?

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'd have to admit that I think the concourse areas of those Kildare line stations are awful too - they should be enclosed. Leaving gaps open to the elements means they can get quite wet and freezing as well depending on the weather. A really bizarre design.

The dampness is starting to adversely affect the buildings aswell. Seems rain can get in but it can't get out again.

I know what you mean about the cold too, for some reason any time I'm in Adamstown it seems really bleak.

Also seems to be staffed more than the far busier stations across the M4.

Advertisement