Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bidding on detached house - vents and soil stack at boundary?

Options
  • 21-09-2014 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Am considering bidding on a house in Dublin, which is detached but as far as I can tell, the boundary line with the property to the house next door does right along the outside exterior wall of the house in question. See the photo attached (the house I'd like to bid on is on the left).

I'm worried about two things - which would be addressed if we went so far as to get an surveyor in, but don't want to have to pay that if it's a dud:
    a) the air vents from the house are right on the boundary line, and although they're about 1.5 metres away from the edge of the neighbour's house, they still vent right into the neighbour's property.
    b) the soil stacks from two bathrooms on this side of the house terminate the far side of the boundary line.

I've never seen this before, have you? Is it a run-away-fast issue or something that can be addressed? It seems really strange that to fix a plumbing issue we'd have to get permission from the neighbour to go onto their property...

Any advice much appreciated - many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

fullerand wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Am considering bidding on a house in Dublin, which is detached but as far as I can tell, the boundary line with the property to the house next door does right along the outside exterior wall of the house in question. See the photo attached (the house I'd like to bid on is on the left).

I'm worried about two things - which would be addressed if we went so far as to get an surveyor in, but don't want to have to pay that if it's a dud:
    a) the air vents from the house are right on the boundary line, and although they're about 1.5 metres away from the edge of the neighbour's house, they still vent right into the neighbour's property.
    b) the soil stacks from two bathrooms on this side of the house terminate the far side of the boundary line.

I've never seen this before, have you? Is it a run-away-fast issue or something that can be addressed? It seems really strange that to fix a plumbing issue we'd have to get permission from the neighbour to go onto their property...

Any advice much appreciated - many thanks

My last house was similar. Certain services, including soil stacks, were mentioned in the deeds. Not only were we and our neighbours entitled to have them protruding over the boundary lines, we were also obliged to allow access to each other to service them.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Interesting, thank you. Did you ever have to make use of that provision in the deed, i.e. go onto their property to service the pipes etc? Any issues?

Advertisement