Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

First time I seen a car clamped and felt no sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

To be fair the numpty beside him in (what looks like) a berlingo looks to be well over the line..
    And the clamper looks like a stereotypical clamper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

To be fair the numpty beside him in (what looks like) a berlingo looks to be well over the line..

It's a Nissan Note. :pac:

Much worse than a Berlingo! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Dord wrote: »
    It's a Nissan Note. :pac:

The other side ;)

To be fair he's in a space he shouldn't be in. I don't even want to know what the stereotypical clamper comment is about.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    The other side ;)

That's the clampers van.

Augeo wrote: »
    That's the clampers van.
    You're probably right, and a second better look tells me it's a Caddy not a Berlingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Some of the back roads were slippy this morning. There was one part really bad just literally a sheet of ice and it was a bit of hill too I was going slowly anyway and bearly touching the accelerator the traction control was still having a panic attack flashing away :) but I still got up it ok at least all the main roads were gritted anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Thats the clampers van. It looked to me like they squeezed between two legit disabled cars earlier on. Gob****es.

• Advertisement

You're probably right, and a second better look tells me it's a Caddy not a Berlingo.
    That's the clampers van.
    The other side ;)

The car on the RHS of the photo. Sorry I don't have the eagle eyes of others here :P

To be fair he's in a space he shouldn't be in. I don't even want to know what the stereotypical clamper comment is about.
    He is, but if it was caused by the other car then surely the other car's bad parking should be clamped too.

Not that I agree with private clamping anyway. It's a legal grey area atm. It is illegal to interfere with private property and specifically to interfere with a car.

The stereotypical comment was both (a) related to how clampers are depicted on TV generally, and (b) that it alligns with the opinion that all clampers are thugs.

Dord wrote: »
    There's most likely a sequence to reset the key and boot lock after a battery replacement.

I had something similar in my old Merc. I had to reset the traction control, central locking and electric windows after the battery was changed. I almost needed three hands to do it. Hahah :pac:

Hopefully that's all there is to it.

I'm Googling around and finding nothing though.

Most people online are saying that this is a problem (the boot not opening) that generally occurs from corroded wiring or such relating to the boot lock. Apparently a lot of people change them out (and it doesn't fix the issue a lot of the time).

Due to the timing of the issue occurring though, I can't really rule out that it was battery related. I did have to reset the time on the display, but that was it. No looking for radio codes or any other electrical issues, etc.

I'll give Peugeot a ring tomorrow and see if they know the answer off-hand. Not bringing it in to them though (€90 + VAT per hour to diagnose an issue.. no thanks!).

In the mean time I'll keep Googling. :(

407 doesn't even have a button inside the car to open the boot that I can try.

The stereotypical comment was both (a) related to how clampers are depicted on TV generally, and (b) that it alligns with the opinion that all clampers are thugs.

He looks like a fairly ordinary middle aged chap to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

YbFocus wrote: »
    Hmm and who said it first :)

The astra uses a drop of coolant, probably a couple of litres a month, can't find a leak but it appears fine.
    I'll live and not worry until it really shows signs it's giving in.
    I only done the head on that about 6 months ago though!

Since when was a drop of coolant a few litres a month....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Does this car belong to a boardsie's GF or is it the famous 'other' THP200 in Ireland?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/peugeot/rcz/peugeot-rcz-2010/7103813

http://www.jameshennessymotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1173408&r=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

No, my girlfriend's is white and that one is a THP 156, not a 200.

• Advertisement

So I was inside the boot of the 407. Spent longer than I'd have liked in there as I got stuck trying to get out.

Plan was to open the boot from the inside to see if that'd work. Someone said on another forum that they did it, and made it sound simple. I had no luck.

Which I actually find very surprising! Why is there not a catch inside the boot? If I accidentally got locked inside the boot, put someone in the boot etc. you're pretty much fcuked?! That's madness!? Surely every car should have a very obvious catch or button or such you can pull or turn to open the boot from inside? :eek:

Cars in the USA are required to have a handle to open the boot on the inside. I think there is one in my 159

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

So I was inside the boot of the 407. Spent longer than I'd have liked in there as I got stuck trying to get out.

Plan was to open the boot from the inside to see if that'd work. Someone said on another forum that they did it, and made it sound simple. I had no luck.

Which I actually find very surprising! Why is there not a catch inside the boot? If I accidentally got locked inside the boot, put someone in the boot etc. you're pretty much fcuked?! That's madness!? Surely every car should have a very obvious catch or button or such you can pull or turn to open the boot from inside? :eek:

Made+me+laugh+so+hard+i+could+barely+see+and+_a75a05cca3f7f60a09168c59be8e4ac7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I think the standard back up plan is to get at the wiring of the brake lights and tap out "help I've been kidnapped" in morse code.

However, with a french car no one will take a blind bit of notice of random blinking rear lights...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sent from my Pug 407

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

No, my girlfriend's is white and that one is a THP 156, not a 200.

Here she is again, claiming to be a 200

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/peugeot/rcz/used-2010-peugeot-rcz-rcz-1-6-tur-dublin-fpa-126114193478223730

I was behind a ssangyong rexton but it was 142 brand new although same shape as the ones from years ago just slightly different lights and minor things. I knew ssangyong were back but I didn't think they were selling the rexton. Who would even buy one they must be seriously cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Since when was a drop of coolant a few litres a month....

When it's a 16 year old car and the coolant is mixed about 100:1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Just back from a few days in the Enguland, few motoring things of note:

The standard of motors in general is unbelievably superior to ours, i.e. the spec level of most cars & what they're powered by, one example is being passed constantly on the motorway by f10's & e90's, but most are either 5/330i or 5/335d as opposed to the 4 cyl turf burners here. (Lots of other makes & models with nice specs, just the most obvious was these)

Also the amount of salt they lay onto the roads! holy shit the car had a thick layer on it after a 50 mile spin! I don't know how anything lasts there, saw lots and lots of LR defenders knocking about, have to wonder how they can be kept together at all.

Had use of 2 hire cars, first was a Skoda Rapid liftback, think it was a 1.4.... Certainly nothing to write home about, boring, bland & gutless! But fairly comfortable, I liked the steering wheel :pac:

Other was a Leon 1.4tsi, pokey enough for a 1.4, bags more power than the skoda anyway.

Can't say either would be a weapon of choice for me at all, I'd stick to my ancient pajero given the choice :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just on the F10, in the uk the biggest seller is the 520d

If you look on autotrader for 5 series up to 3 years old. There are 1555 diesel and 55 petrol.

350 of the 1555 diesel are 535d or 530d, 1189 are 520d

So 74% are 520d, and that's before you consider how many used 520d's BMW Ireland and private buyers export to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just on the F10, in the uk the biggest seller is the 520d

If you look on autotrader for 5 series up to 3 years old. There are 1555 diesel and 55 petrol.

Jaysus I must have just gotten a good few days on the road so :o

Either way, I saw loads of cupra's, ST's, GTI's, RS4 & RS6's (+Avants :cool: ) and was just happy to see lots of nice metal. :o

There's no doubting they like their cars!

To be honest, I like the 407, but the boot issue has drawn it's line with me, I'm afraid.

Once I have that, and a bushing (i think) on the front left fixed, it's getting detailed and going onto DoneDeal. The only good thing is I can sell it with a guilt-free conscience knowing that there's very little that can realistically go wrong on it at this stage. I've pretty much tackled everything it's thrown at me (new battery being the last thing on the 'to do' ist), but this trivial nonsense with the boot has just soured it for me.

I tried following this routine to reset the central locking: http://www.petercoopercarrepairs.co.uk/peugeot_bsi_reboot_procedure.htm

But still no action from the boot. I'll drop it to mechanic next week.

What's the next step KKV, any ideas on the replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rubin_spitfire

There's no doubting they like their cars!

With reason,

When I lived in the UK, I could tax my entire fleet for the same cost of taxing my daily driver in Ireland.

And Irish people are bad at buying new cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I dunno kkv, not up to date with the complete list of jobs on it but if it's just a few niggles now I'd be inclined to hang on to it.

The opportunity for a joke about french electrics was too much to resist I'm afraid ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What's the next step KKV

Going to see what the engine bay is like to lie in with the bonnet closed? :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hmm have been checking out my next car for a while. Like both the accord and the 407, I know the accord is a sensible choice and as the OH is hellbent on buying a jag I should consider it, but what do you guys think about the 407?

Stheno wrote: »
    Hmm have been checking out my next car for a while. Like both the accord and the 407, I know the accord is a sensible choice and as the OH is hellbent on buying a jag I should consider it, but what do you guys think about the 407?

You couldn't write this :D

Don't ask KKV!

Really wouldn't be my type of car so can't help very much Stheno, wouldn't appeal to me at all if I'm honest!

What's the next step KKV, any ideas on the replacement?

I've no idea. On one hand, self employment lends itself to commercial tax, so a few jeeps caught my eye. But then, at the same time, I'm thinking maybe I'm better off with a 98 purple Micra that'll cost me €200 that I can just throw in the bin at the first sign of trouble.

I think 'hassle-free' is gonna be my priority on the next car. Something low budget and bullet proof, that I don't care about. Drive it into the ground.

I dunno kkv, not up to date with the complete list of jobs on it but if it's just a few niggles now I'd be inclined to hang on to it.

The opportunity for a joke about french electrics was too much to resist I'm afraid ;-)

I've the car about 5 months. In that time...

I've replaced the LCD display. On the old one, if the dash got warm, the LCD would 'fade'. You'd get about 5 mins out of it before it faded into nothingness. €200.

I fixed a common enough problem - the heater on the driver side only blows hot/cold air (a flap breaks inside the dash). Got it sorted so now it blows hot and cold (€250).

Two tyres on the front (€60).

Full service (~€250).

Got the steering rack fixed (€60). Found out it was never broke in the first place and just needed the right fluid (€50).

Car was giving hassle starting on cold mornings. Figured it was either the glow plugs or the battery. My gut feeling was the plugs. Replaced glow plugs (€200).

... Turns out it was the battery :rolleyes: (€85).

I am pretty sure there was one or two other things aswell, but can't think of them.

Currently a bushing on the front left is in need of some TLC and the boot won't open.

I got the windows tinted, so the car looks well. It's also (apparently) the 'sport' version of the car. Not sure what that means exactly, but it does have bigger alloys than most of the other 407s I see and a "sport" grille that I haven't seen on any other ones. It has the spoiler on the back and very comfortable leather seats. Aesthetically it is in great shape.

On the downside, mileage is around 220km. So high enough (though i'd hazard a guess that it was a sales rep for a fair bit of that).

It has also got NCT til 2016 (February, i think) and Tax til June 2015. So I should be able to get rid of it for in and around 3k I'd say (with a functioning boot)?

It's a bit of a coin-flip situation with how I'm feeling. Do I sell it now and forget about it, or drive it until it dies, hoping nothing else will go wrong with it!? Decisions, decisions..

what do you guys think about the 407?

Great motor. Well worth picking up.

... Wanna buy one?! :P

Ah, to be fair to the 407, the issues i've had are all relatively trivial in nature (though a bit of goodwill from Peugeot themselves wouldn't hurt - Issue a recall on known problems ye pricks!).

The car has never really let me down and has been mechanically sound. Get one that's been taken care of and you're off to the races.

If you're looking for a 'hobby car' then it'd be worth getting one. You'll never be bored.

I'm still chasing an e36...

What do we think of this (plates would be coming off unless they grow on me some way)

It's a 323i
    10387202_186258448211273_7330086983370581999_n_zps4ff5da5f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That is an sexy e36. I like it and I would not mind it myself!

On other note. I sat yesterday in one of the fellas land rover discovery 94'. Full cream leather and all. I loved it! I felt like in sofa! I am really getting old lol. I am liking big, old, lazy stuff! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've no idea. On one hand, self employment lends itself to commercial tax, so a few jeeps caught my eye. But then, at the same time, I'm thinking maybe I'm better off with a 98 purple Micra that'll cost me €200 that I can just throw in the bin at the first sign of trouble.

I think 'hassle-free' is gonna be my priority on the next car. Something low budget and bullet proof, that I don't care about. Drive it into the ground.

On the downside, mileage is around 220km. So high enough (though i'd hazard a guess that it was a sales rep for a fair bit of that).

It has also got NCT til 2016 (February, i think) and Tax til June 2015. So I should be able to get rid of it for in and around 3k I'd say (with a functioning boot)?

Is this a diesel?
    Great motor. Well worth picking up.

... Wanna buy one?! :P

Ah, to be fair to the 407, the issues i've had are all relatively trivial in nature (though a bit of goodwill from Peugeot themselves wouldn't hurt - Issue a recall on known problems ye pricks!).

The car has never really let me down and has been mechanically sound. Get one that's been taken care of and you're off to the races.

If you're looking for a 'hobby car' then it'd be worth getting one. You'll never be bored.

Nah I'm like you my mechanic recently sold an 06 micra that I'd have happily bought, just want a car that is reliable, I do like the 407s though, but need a petrol so won't be buying yours as it sounds like a diesel
    I'm still chasing an e36...

What do we think of this (plates would be coming off unless they grow on me some way)

It's a 323i
    10387202_186258448211273_7330086983370581999_n_zps4ff5da5f.jpg

That's a lovely looking car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

You shoulda bought Peters over on BMWHaus/Driver, YB!

Damn I need to keep an eye out!
    I'll keep an eye on the relevant forums, totally slipped my mind! :o
    This e36 thing has to happen though I'm foaming at the mouth for one everytime I see a nice example!

Damn I need to keep an eye out!
    I'll keep an eye on the relevant forums, totally slipped my mind! :o
    This e36 thing has to happen though I'm foaming at the mouth for one everytime I see a nice example!

There's a silver 323i flying around down here that I think is for sale, owned previously by the mechanic who owned my car so has pretty much everything done.

There's a silver 323i flying around down here that I think is for sale, owned previously by the mechanic who owned my car so has pretty much everything done.

Not silver, that is nearly my only call :)

Is this a diesel?

Nah I'm like you my mechanic recently sold an 06 micra that I'd have happily bought, just want a car that is reliable, I do like the 407s though, but need a petrol so won't be buying yours as it sounds like a diesel

Ah, to be honest, I'm still not sure of selling it. I'll take a fresh stance when I've the boot open again.

Mine's the 2ltr Diesel. A friend of mine had the 1.8 petrol for about 7 years, I think (she bought it brand new). She said it was very pricy on petrol, but never really complained of maintenance issues (except the heater problem I mentioned above - her driver side was stuck on cold air).

I'll keep an eye out! Make sure you check the adverts on Haus/Driver though as a lot pop up. I wouldn't mind a 318is myself.

• Advertisement

Ah, to be honest, I'm still not sure of selling it. I'll take a fresh stance when I've the boot open again.

Mine's the 2ltr Diesel. A friend of mine had the 1.8 petrol for about 7 years, I think (she bought it brand new). She said it was very pricy on petrol, but never really complained of maintenance issues (except the heater problem I mentioned above - her driver side was stuck on cold air).

Heh compare that to a 2.5 v6 doing about 14 mpg

I'll keep an eye out! Make sure you check the adverts on Haus/Driver though as a lot pop up. I wouldn't mind a 318is myself.

Imagine that's the one place I forgot! 6 cyl's are thin on the ground or at least it's hard to find a good one!

I sold a blue one there a while back,
    probably drifted into a hedge by this stage LOL....

Heh compare that to a 2.5 v6 doing about 14 mpg

:eek: there's articulated trucks pulling 40 ton trailers that are almost getting that.

Granted your 2.5 v6 would be a lot more fun to drive :) I never can get my head around mpg figures like that. Just too used to economical cars I could probably deal with 25 mpg but much lower than that. But then I suppose if you love the car and driving it it makes the costs more bearable.

I sold a blue one there a while back,
    probably drifted into a hedge by this stage LOL....

I thought yours was a 318i :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement