Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

GvidoR wrote: »
    I think it's weird that you have those but not 10mm. :pac:

You're telling me!

These bolts are killer, seems they were torqued in within an inch of their life, snapped one already and afraid to go at the other, it just seems to spring back into place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm having some starting issues. Turn the key, all the dash lights come on, radio etc come on, and nothing happens. No noise, no click, nada. Then turn a couple more times and eventually it will fire right up. I'm wondering if it could be my battery in the key...might swap it for the spare for now...:(

So....after swapping my key, this hasn't happened again. From reading online, it's not so much the battery in the key, but the chip that communicates with the immobiliser. So it effectively means I only have one key. Annoying, but not too bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You're telling me!

These bolts are killer, seems they were torqued in within an inch of their life, snapped one already and afraid to go at the other, it just seems to spring back into place.

Oh furk me pink. They're probably in there since Kaiser Wilhelm put them in. Try soaking them in penetrating fluid - WD40 or similar - for a while. I'd reckon that snapped one will probably have to be drilled and/or Easy-outed. :mad:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    Oh furk me pink. They're probably in there since Kaiser Wilhelm put them in. Try soaking them in penetrating fluid - WD40 or similar - for a while. I'd reckon that snapped one will probably have to be drilled and/or Easy-outed. :mad:

Yep, gave it a good old spray there, doesn't look too annoying to get the remainder of the other out though.

Yep, gave it a good old spray there, doesn't look too annoying to get the remainder of the other out though.

I probably should have warned you - that 1/2'' Bahco will reduce a bulldozer to component parts in about ten minutes. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Probably get in trouble for be sexist but it is funny.

funny_pictures_of_the_day_14.jpg

I probably should have warned you - that 1/2'' Bahco will reduce a bulldozer to component parts in about ten minutes. :pac:

Some yoke! Managed to get it off without taking out the second bolt, it just slotted right out somehow. Now to actually fix it :pac:

Drove about 15-20 minutes today, to an OPW site to do a bit of video work.

Get back into car, my loving 407, and on the drive home, the front driver's side wheel makes an annoyingly loud 'clacking' noise everytime I turn while accelerating.

Sounds very aggressive in nature. Rang my mechanic and he reckons it could be a ball joint or such. It's very loud.

Sick of this heap of sh*t! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Drove about 15-20 minutes today, to an OPW site to do a bit of video work.

Get back into car, my loving 407, and on the drive home, the front driver's side wheel makes an annoyingly loud 'clacking' noise everytime I turn while accelerating.

Sounds very aggressive in nature. Rang my mechanic and he reckons it could be a ball joint or such. It's very loud.

Sick of this heap of sh*t! :mad:

CV Joint maybe?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

CV joint surely if its a clacka-clacka-clacka-clacka noise.
    Balljoint noise the only time I had it was like the loudest drop link noise ever - clank or a clunk rather than a clack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Balljoint noise the only time I had it was like the loudest drop link noise ever - clank or a clunk rather than a clack!

Awesome :D:D

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

My cvrt is tomorrow so I gave the car a quick wash was still dirty after it it was of them self service car washes in topaz but I got the heavy crap of anyway enough for the test. Went to go fix my number plate light which would only work some of the time notice it was very loose compared to the other side when I took out the housing to look at it turns out some broke the retaining clip which holds it into the bumper and then glued it in. So much for just replacing a bulb.

So then I had to go to my local vw garage which is literally the most expensive vw garage in the country but I didn't have time to go to any other one I hate buying stuff from them. As everytime I ring around there always 50% plus more expensive than carlow or cork where I normally buy the parts. Anyway it's sorted now. All I need now is a pass.

69FB9E58-E521-446E-98B1-060D4CD582C8_zpsjl835eai.jpg

h3000 wrote: »
    CV Joint maybe?

Hmm.. no, it's definitely a clack.

Is it safe enough to drive for the evening, would ye guys say? About an hour or so in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Errr, my Google Maps location history for my trip back from Leitrim to Dublin is interesting to say the least.

http://i.imgur.com/gIj9yrj.png

Mohill to Edgeworthstown seems to take a bit of a detour...

http://i.imgur.com/FAkEXxi.png

....via Moldova. As you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Errr, my Google Maps location history for my trip back from Leitrim to Dublin is interesting to say the least.

Happens all the time lad.

KKV - there's usually some lead in - if this is the first time you've heard this then should be ok. Take it handy I suppose just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I hate being back driving on Ireland's motorways. Did 1,312 kms in 5 days in England and while a LOT busier than here I enjoyed it. Never had an issue over there.

Get off the port and back onto the M50/N7 and my blood is boiling in no time! WTF is it with middle lane hoggers doing 80kph here??? Does my head in :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Looks to me like you were abducted by aliens and don't even know it. Google maps is just letting you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Moldovan aliens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Moldovan aliens?

Yes that is where they always bring you. I know from experience, happened me before. Damn aliens.

Yes that is where they always bring you. I know from experience, happened me before. Damn aliens.

They made one hell of a journey for you. All the way from Moldova to Mars and back. Show a little respect. :P

Flicking through donedeal and came across this anyone every here of this manufacturer I've never seen them I wonder are they just some cheap chinese yoke although with a 6 year warranty they can't be that bad can they.

http://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/great-wall-steed-2-0-litre-diesel/8240637

Seems quite pricey for a Chinese yoke.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tonight I start my thesis for my masters.

Procrastination will kick in very shortly and my posting on boards will increase exponentially

On a motors related note, remember I was asking about the dipped headlights on the OHs merc? Mechanic reckons it that the casing has faded and needs to be polished and wants me to try that before anything else, anyone know what stuff I am looking for?

Stheno wrote: »
    Tonight I start my thesis for my masters.

Procrastination will kick in very shortly and my posting on boards will increase exponentially

On a motors related note, remember I was asking about the dipped headlights on the OHs merc? Mechanic reckons it that the casing has faded and needs to be polished and wants me to try that before anything else, anyone know what stuff I am looking for?

Does he mean the glass? Toothpaste/toothbrush.

Seems quite pricey for a Chinese yoke.

Especially since it's 25k + vat so approx 31k inc vat. Not sure who'd buy one surly a ssangyong would be a better bet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Does he mean the glass? Toothpaste/toothbrush.

Yeah the glass/plastic in front of the bulbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Who was/is in the convention centre? Limos parked outside with fake plates on (E65 on an 11-D plate :pac: ), one of them an F02 760Li. I'm guessing bulletproof.

• Advertisement

Sobanek wrote: »
    Who was/is in the convention centre? Limos parked outside with fake plates on (E65 on an 11-D plate :pac: ), one of them an F02 760Li. I'm guessing bulletproof.

Pity there's no .50-cal around here. See how bullet-proof they are! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

60th anniversary of the IFA is being celebrated there today. Not sure if they'd he that high-profile though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Pity there's no .50-cal around here. See how bullet-proof they are! :)

-casually whistles- excuse me lads, I have to go and get a loan of something from the military up the road and.....calibrate something....... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Bpmull wrote: »
    Flicking through donedeal and came across this anyone every here of this manufacturer I've never seen them I wonder are they just some cheap chinese yoke although with a 6 year warranty they can't be that bad can they.

http://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/great-wall-steed-2-0-litre-diesel/8240637

Know nothing about them tbh, spotted more than a small few of them in Oz last year. Seem to be up there with tata & similar in terms of style anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Petrol tally since Friday night - €110
    Collecting open diff tomorrow - €150
    Collecting rear section of exhaust - €40

Owning this car - Priceless :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Sounds like the British ambassador's car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

YbFocus wrote: »

What you driving now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

pred racer wrote: »
    What you driving now?

E36 323i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The new corolla is an aggressive looking yoke, I know its still just a corolla but I like it.
    2015-Toyota-Corolla-GLi.jpg

Any sign of decent engines I wonder *goes off to check*

Nope. Same old same old :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

-casually whistles- excuse me lads, I have to go and get a loan of something from the military up the road and.....calibrate something....... :cool:

Good luck getting into tacland ;)
    YbFocus wrote: »

Try €105 since yesterday :(
    The new corolla is an aggressive looking yoke, I know its still just a corolla but I like it.
    2015-Toyota-Corolla-GLi.jpg

Is it the same as last years one just with a humpy front....?

Nah, its completely* new

As in, it came out last year and replaced the 07 shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nah, its completely* new

I just never noticed it until I saw an ad on the telly, I would not buy one as I dont think I will ever buy a car under 200hp again but the design just looked sharp which I like.

They look good at the back too. It desperately needs a 140bhp-ish diesel though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ugh god they're worse than the one before it if you ask me, how that's possible I don't know. 99% of the ones I've seen over the past year are low spec, even the ones with alloys look like they are about 14".

Anyone know if it's smaller then the previous model. It looks so from the outside anyway.

Says the lad in the mondeo!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nah, its completely* new

Ah no I knew there was a new one last year!

Just thought they might have facelifted it already :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

colm_mcm wrote:
    Says the lad in the mondeo!

Ah frig, you hardly think they're nicer than a mondeo do you? Suppose that's a stupid question to be asking you :P

Ah frig, you hardly think they're nicer than a mondeo do you? Suppose that's a stupid question to be asking you :P

Are you a sales rep?

Ugh god they're worse than the one before it if you ask me, how that's possible I don't know. 99% of the ones I've seen over the past year are low spec, even the ones with alloys look like they are about 14".

8981818.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement