Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

YbFocus wrote: »
    ...This forum has been getting bad press but for the most part it's a great spot, to me anyway!

I think it's grand! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Just got the estimation...
    Can't for the life of me remember the name of the metal part behind the bumper (frame?) well that's bent to ****, the radiator is toast, the bumper is beyond reasonable repair and the headlights are no longer straight.
    In total almost 1k euro in parts and about half of that in labour but he said this can go up and more than likely it will.
    Going to the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

bear1 wrote: »
    Just got the estimation...
    Can't for the life of me remember the name of the metal part behind the bumper (frame?) well that's bent to ****, the radiator is toast, the bumper is beyond reasonable repair and the headlights are no longer straight.
    In total almost 1k euro in parts and about half of that in labour but he said this can go up and more than likely it will.
    Going to the pub.

Jesus he/she really hit the car at speed!

Jesus he/she really hit the car at speed!

Which is why I think the person was drunk. I'd also wager it was a jeep of some sort considering there wasn't much of the other car there, apart from the plate.
    How to fook people can do that, realise the utter damage they have done and just f off leaving the other with one hell of a mess.
    And after getting the car back to perfect with the chains/injector ****e.

Which is why I think the person was drunk. I'd also wager it was a jeep of some sort considering there wasn't much of the other car there, apart from the plate.
    How to fook people can do that, realise the utter damage they have done and just f off leaving the other with one hell of a mess.
    And after getting the car back to perfect with the chains/injector ****e.

That or they made a monumental **** up!
    Ah it's awful man i can't imagine being stuck in that position!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    While musing on car sites I noticed there is a Smart Roadster up north for sale for 1.7k, its only 638 euro to VRT it. Combine it with the very low tax (<1.0) you could get a weekend car for next to nothing. I know the box is ****e in them but still..

Aren't they a bitch to insure? I think they're in a high insurance group.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I know it's old and **** but I have that astra there now doing nothing, it's taxed but only has a weeks test left.
    By right it needs 4 tyres too but you're welcome to it man to get you out while your stuck?

I'm not using it now with my new machine here!

Is bear not in Poland?

Stheno wrote: »
    Is bear not in Poland?

He moves between here and there :)

Police called.
    Driver found and admitted it immediately. They didn't give me all the details but they said they can't test for alcohol as too much time has passed but the woman explained what had happened.
    She isn't used to driving an automatic jeep and when she was putting it into reverse she slammed on the accelerator instead of the brake pedal. Which in turn then smashed into my car. Panicked again and drove home only to then realise the number plate had remained there.
    Insurance has now gotten involved and I should know later this week if the repairs will be covered by them.
    I'm quite happy though that the police slapped the woman with points and a hefty fine for leaving the scene of an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That's a nice result :)

• Advertisement

Great news bear, hopefully it will be cleared up very quick now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Police called.
    Driver found and admitted it immediately. They didn't give me all the details but they said they can't test for alcohol as too much time has passed but the woman explained what had happened.
    She isn't used to driving an automatic jeep and when she was putting it into reverse she slammed on the accelerator instead of the brake pedal. Which in turn then smashed into my car. Panicked again and drove home only to then realise the number plate had remained there.
    Insurance has now gotten involved and I should know later this week if the repairs will be covered by them.
    I'm quite happy though that the police slapped the woman which points and a hefty fine for leaving the scene of an accident.

Result. Insurance will surely cover it, and from the other parties insurance. Given the Garda intervention and admission of guilt I wouldn't think you'll have trouble.

I wonder.... I've got the ARBS that are starting to play up and I'll need them done to get passed the NCT. Wonder if I can convince the garage to fix it and charge the bitch.

Thanks to everyone btw, and more thanks to Yb :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Great news bear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I wonder.... I've got the ARBS that are starting to play up and I'll need them done to get passed the NCT. Wonder if I can convince the garage to fix it and charge the bitch.
    Mine passed and the fronts were annoyingly noisey. Thought I was in a taxi...

Your mileage may vary with NCT of course. I got them done anyway because it was just nasty. I guess the standard approach is "passed NCT, be grand, I'll wait until they fail before I do em"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]
    You're in Poland, aren't you? If so, insist on insurance crowd repairs MUST be done by authorised dealer, paid directly by insurance company (in Polish: ASO + bezgotówkowo). Long story short - leave your car in a garage, they repair it, insurance co. pays for it.
    I'm quite happy though that the police slapped the woman with points and a hefty fine for leaving the scene of an accident.
    She would be fined anyway, for causing an accident - that's the law over there - 500PLN + 6 points, IIRC.

joujoujou wrote: »
    You're in Poland, aren't you? If so, insist on insurance crowd repairs MUST be done by authorised dealer, paid directly by insurance company (in Polish: ASO + bezgotówkowo). Long story short - leave your car in a garage, they repair it, insurance co. pays for it.
    She would be fined anyway, for causing an accident - that's the law over there - 500PLN + 6 points, IIRC.

Yeah, so you are saying I should bring it to Honda?
    The bitch should be given an even higher fine IMO but luckily I'll leave her insurance company to deal with that.

Unregistered Users

Yeah, so you are saying I should bring it to Honda?
    [...]

Definately. That's the only place to do that appropriately, don't forget to mention you want them to use genuine parts. Most other places would try to push in aftermarket parts telling you they put genuine ones.

It'd take time, especially if you have headlights damaged, as they'd have to import RHD ones for you.

• Advertisement

Definately. That's the only place to do that appropriately, don't forget to mention you want them to use genuine parts. Most other places would try to push in aftermarket parts telling you they put genuine ones.

It'd take time, especially if you have headlights damaged, as they'd have to import RHD ones for you.

Right I'll do that then.
    I'm really curious of the cost for everything. I also hadn't thought of the RHD lights things, this will be a costly mistake for missus Jeep driver.
    Do you know, out of curiosity, would I be entitled to car rental from her insurance? Or is this not popular in PL?

Unregistered Users

Yeah, goodbye NCB for her! :D

Edit: don't forget - your car's been damaged and you decide who will repair it. They have to accept that and pay for.

Yeah, goodbye NCB for her! :D

Edit: don't forget - your car's been damaged and you decide who will repair it. They have to accept that and pay for.

Thanks for the tip. Is there anything else I should do? Never had an accident abroad so hard to know how the Poles will treat it.
    Besides, I'm also curious if they will write it off. And if so would I be given the market value of the car in PL or IRL?

Thanks to everyone btw, and more thanks to Yb :)

Awh shucks :o

Don't mention it, sure i done nothing anyway!

Unregistered Users

If they treat it as write-off, I'd expect it to be valued as RHD car in Poland, so not much really.

Re: anything else...

https://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.pclab.pl%2Ftopic%2F811901-Naprawa-z-OC-sprawcy-doradzajcie%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Best option if you find someone who can read that and translate better than google. :o

Well this is the cause of my 'clacking', apparently.

D68F34B069404ABCA00F780FE9E84642-0000333410-0003713561-00800L-E266AA42B5BA47C1A7F4CA365E3BFFEF.jpg

Also got him to look at my un-openable boot.

He got the boot open, found a broken wire and soldered it together. Apparently a common enough issue.

Checked it in the garage and it seemed grand. However, on the drive home I kept getting warnings on the dash that my boot was open. Got out to close it, but it's already closed!

So now i have gone from having a car with a locked boot, to having a car with a locked boot, and everything else open, because the car won't lock the doors if it thinks the boot is open! :mad: Back to mechanic after lunch, so... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ah one battle at a time man. At least you know what needs fixing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Jaypers I got to bed early one night and all this happens, its the january curse i tells ya! Everyone seems to be having some form of car problem it seems :(

Bloody windy and miserable out there. Oi loikes being in a long, low two-ton behemoth on days likes this, Oi do! :D

Jaypers I got to bed early one night and all this happens, its the january curse i tells ya! Everyone seems to be having some form of car problem it seems :(

I'm going on the piss tonight due to it.

'Tis an ill wind, wha'?? :pac:

• Advertisement

I would, but i have no money, still no car, and well yeah kinda need those :o

jimgoose wrote: »
    'Tis an ill wind, wha'?? :pac:

Zing :D

Dutch Gold ;)

Dutch Gold ;)

I don't even drink :pac: but this car lark would drive you to it haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I'm here getting my cvrt done mine hasn't gone in yet but there is a lad in front of me and the list of stuff he's after failing on fcuk me it's gone seriously strict with this new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Dutch Gold ;)

Aldi's finest, Galahad.
    12 pack for a tenner.

My current tipple of choice :pac:

Do you want the astra?

What about the astra being the boards fleet car? :)

Do you want the astra?

What about the astra being the boards fleet car? :)

Haha ah no you're grand I should be back up and running this evening, could be an idea alright!

or a track car ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Can anyone suggest a car that is:

a) Fairly small
    b) Can fit a set of golf clubs
    c) Automatic
    d) Has heated seats?!

or a track car ;)

God a 1.4 astra saloon track car, that'd be scary :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Can anyone suggest a car that is:

a) Fairly small
    b) Can fit a set of golf clubs
    c) Automatic
    d) Has heated seats?!

3dr DSG GTI :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

tossy wrote: »
    3dr DSG GTI :cool:

It's for my granny :)

Oh and all else being equal, the last few cars she's had have had DSG and she finds it difficult reversing, so a different Auto box may be preferable, but its no deal breaker.

God a 1.4 astra saloon track car, that'd be scary :)

Well seeing as according to some posters in here I own 3 opels :rolleyes: I'm sure an engine out of them would fit into it ;)

It's something I intend on doing in the future at some stage

Well seeing as according to some posters in here I own 3 opels :rolleyes: I'm sure an engine out of them would fit into it ;)

It's something I intend on doing in the future at some stage

Who says that :rolleyes:
    You should, you'll never have as much fun!

Who says that :rolleyes:
    You should, you'll never have as much fun!

Well I do have a spare 9-5 knocking about now :pac: but no there's plans for that already I just need to iron them out, I'm lowering my own next week :D all oem spec too ;)

Well I do have a spare 9-5 knocking about now :pac: but no there's plans for that already I just need to iron them out, I'm lowering my own next week :D all oem spec too ;)

Deadly we may meet up and get a look at the new cars :)

Deadly we may meet up and get a look at the new cars :)

We may do! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Seen this post from a friend come up on my newsfeed on facebook, claiming it was the best 300 euro ever spent, should of spent the 300 on a decent set of tyres instead!!

10888484_1027549317262601_3651358916621537212_n.jpg?oh=fc07a873b4ff1d08ef5b3a29b138d38e&oe=552FD8EF&__gda__=1430388182_d512eb55557f7f7ff5dda1e3418ede9e

300 to clean their wheels? Or wheel? Jesus! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

300 to clean their wheels? Or wheel? Jesus! :eek:

for alloy refurb I'm guessing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement