Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Has anyone polished up plastic headlights and used lamin-x or similar to prevent further headlight clouding?
    Or just give em a good polish first time round and annual light polishes to keep them clear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Lads, none of ye are going to believe this. Came out of work and headed to the car, noticed something about the back of it. Walked closer, yep someone hit it and ****ed off. No cameras this time. Ill pop a photo of it up soon. No words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

bear1 wrote: »
    Lads, none of ye are going to believe this. Came out of work and headed to the car, noticed something about the back of it. Walked closer, yep someone hit it and ****ed off. No cameras this time. Ill pop a photo of it up soon. No words.

I think you are the unluckiest person on this forum, sucks to hear :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Looks like when scooby is washed, it can still turn some heads!

I was in town today to buy a few things and I parked in main street. I was walking back to my car and I sow an oldish fella checking out my car, he even went to the back of it to see badges and I guess find out what car was it. I have to admit, it did felt good. :)

I was in town today to buy a few things and I parked in main street. I was walking back to my car and I sow an oldish fella checking out my car, he even went to the back of it to see badges and I guess find out what car was it. I have to admit, it did felt good. :)

Mine goes down the same way with the TDi brigade down here, when they don't think I'm driving my Dad's car that is :pac:

Also, Motor Tax is inclusive of the month it ends right? Mine is out 3/15 so that's inclusive of all of March, correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mine goes down the same way with the TDi brigade down here, when they don't think I'm driving my Dad's car that is :pac:

Also, Motor Tax is inclusive of the month it ends right? Mine is out 3/15 so that's inclusive of all of March, correct?

Yes, it covers you all march too m8.

Yes, it covers you all march too m8.

Extra month of scrimping so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Finally snowing here in Raheny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Driving home today I was glad I hadn't waisted money on winter tyres. Yeah they're great in this weather but what's the point when the 20 cars ahead of you on the one way bridge can't get up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Swapped ends on the way home. Was embarrasing because:
    A) It was on a roundabout
    B) I was going very slowly

Nothing damaged but my self esteem.

• Advertisement

So here is the damage.
    You can't see it properly, but the scratches go through the paint so it will need a bit of work to get it back to normal.
    ****ing pissed off :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is there a fair bit of filler in the bumper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

You mean, "it did felt well" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

rocky wrote: »
    You mean, "it did felt well" :p

:P

Image1.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone polished up plastic headlights and used lamin-x or similar to prevent further headlight clouding?
    Or just give em a good polish first time round and annual light polishes to keep them clear?

There's a great big thread in the detailing subforum about how to deal with this and what people found good here

That sucks man.

I ffing hate the days I have to work in Dundrum .

Three car collision at Finglas, rubberneckers gawping at the cops doing something on the northbound lane at Blanch, breakdown at Lucan and a collision at Firhouse on the southbound M50 this morning, over two hours to get in :(

Then the snow on the way home, 35 mins it took to drive one 1 mile, the trip computer was depressing me. Finally got home two hours later. The most bizarre thing was the M50 the snow disappeared after Lucan exit northbound, can't figure out if South Dublin Co. Co weren't prepared or was there just no snow past that point that stuck? It was still snowing when I got to Swords.

On the good news front, I got into the alfa the other day (OH primarily drives it during the week now as a day like today would drink petrol) but as he does little mileage, the car is only getting out the odd weekend for a run.

This particular day I was working in the office about 6km from home, so sat in to go, started it up and got the freaky message "Engine control management failure". Out of car and into merc. Did a bit of research on the web in work, turns out it's a sign of a failing battery. Sure enough after it was out and about for a run, it's now gone :D

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is there a fair bit of filler in the bumper?

Doesn't seem to be.
    The paint was practically peeled off.
    What you also can't see is that the top part of the bumper near the light cluster has badly wrinkled and at the side are lovely scratches which have taken striped chunks out of the bumper.
    To repair it it would need a bit of filler and a proper respray.
    Costly anyway IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd price a SMART repair, it mightn't be too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Stheno wrote: »
    There's a great big thread in the detailing subforum about how to deal with this and what people found good here

Thanks! I find that forum a little scary, usually avoid it. Although if you pretend it's a load of guys talking in code about dropping designer drugs... ah yeah had a serious session of Chemical Dodos Gorilla Panic to start and a nice smooth G-tech nano balm to finish off. Savage long lasting results...

Only joking beados! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The drive from Calais to Spa would be fine. Maybe 3.5hrs. The drive across the UK is more of a pain, especially if you hit London at the wrong time.

You're in the South East right? I'd go from Rosslare to France overnight and get a berth for a good kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

OSI wrote: »
    Thinking of driving to Belgium for the Spa Grand Prix via the ferry to Holyhead and Chunnel to Calais. Anyone done it? Seems a long enough journey.

Did that route to the 'ring which isn't a million miles from Spa, not that far at all, the longest part is crossing England, the M25 around London will be a nightmare if doing it on a week day, so try do the English leg at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Thinking I'll just fly in to Brussels and rent a car. Seems the cheaper and more sensible option. A ferry from Rosslare to France will take a good 18 hours, and then it's another 6-8 hours on the other side of driving. And remembering driving across England the last time I'm not sure doing the journey in my own car is worth the stress.

Can rent a Golf for 4 days for around €150 which I think is reasonable enough.

Decided to check Hertz as I still have points on my Gold account from travelling with my last company. I used them to rent the Camaro SS in the states which was just under a grand for 2 weeks. Logged in and asked it for quotes, it came back with a Jaguar XF for €2,200 or a Jaguar E-Type for €1,200. For 4 days. I think my rental profile is a little skewed.

just a thought , no offence intended or anything.

But if your heading off and getting a rental car, would you not get something different to your own car ?

I mean its ample opportunity to pick out a competitor car that you might like and give it a good run over or an Italian test drive....

So in 1 hour 40mins I'm out of this ****e job I've been stuck in for far too long :)
    On Monday I'm in a new job but luckily it's more or less the same terms as the one I'm now - 50% Ireland and 50% Poland.
    Onto another topic.
    I want to thank many of the posters on here, namely Yb and Toasted for their amazing help offers and others for their great advice and friendly atmosphere :)
    Never met any of ye but I feel like we're all friends in one shape or form.
    Thanks again to all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

So in 1 hour 40mins I'm out of this ****e job I've been stuck in for far too long :)
    On Monday I'm in a new job but luckily it's more or less the same terms as the one I'm now - 50% Ireland and 50% Poland.
    Onto another topic.
    I want to thank many of the posters on here, namely Yb and Toasted for their amazing help offers and others for their great advice and friendly atmosphere :)

*sniff* *tear rolls down face*

No bother bear, but you may come to a meet now when one is organised :)

The astra was doing nothing anyway!

YbFocus wrote: »
    *sniff* *tear rolls down face*

No bother bear, but you may come to a meet now when one is organised :)

The astra was doing nothing anyway!

Sure... if the Accord can do it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Just got on ferry at Holyhead. 2 transporters of Jaguar/Land Rover products waiting to board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I'll download some tank noises to blast out of the stereo while I'm driving a VW through the Belgian hills :P

Maybe wear a welders helmet to give the impression of looking out of a tank :D

Looks like it's not our week Bear1 :(

20150130_145228_zpslwu8vejs.jpg

20150130_145235_zpseznizujg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Onto another topic.

Best of luck with the new job.

But you don't have to leave us :eek: (the forum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Thinking I'll just fly in to Brussels and rent a car. Seems the cheaper and more sensible option. A ferry from Rosslare to France will take a good 18 hours, and then it's another 6-8 hours on the other side of driving. And remembering driving across England the last time I'm not sure doing the journey in my own car is worth the stress.

Can rent a Golf for 4 days for around €150 which I think is reasonable enough.

My dad was in Switzerland a few months ago and he got a mk7 golf rental and it was a 1.4tsi with alot of stuff on it adaptive cruise control etc. no gti but sure you know that.

• Advertisement

Was talking to one of the aul maintenance fitters in work today saying I picked up a throttle body gasket from Volvo for less than a fiver. He was nearly giving out to me saying I could have gotten a load of gasket paper and just cut the thing out myself and have a ball of it leftover for future jobs. He swears by the stuff. I know my aul lad used it back in the day (70's-80's) on whatever banger he had at the time. Do ye use it or have ye ever used it? Personally I prefer to buy from the dealer for the sake of a few euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Was talking to one of the aul maintenance fitters in work today saying I picked up a throttle body gasket from Volvo for less than a fiver. He was nearly giving out to me saying I could have gotten a load of gasket paper and just cut the thing out myself and have a ball of it leftover for future jobs. He swears by the stuff. I know my aul lad used it back in the day (70's-80's) on whatever banger he had at the time. Do ye use it or have ye ever used it? Personally I prefer to buy from the dealer for the sake of a few euro.

Use it all the time :) Well anytime I need to make a gasket!

Just when you think you've seen it all on donedeal seen this in a ad

"Car comes packed with extras including electric windows and a CD player"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Bpmull wrote: »
    Just when you think you've seen it all on donedeal seen this in a ad

"Car comes packed with extras including electric windows and a CD player"

Was the advert for a Golf?

Sorry couldnt resist :p

Got my nct today! :)

Got my nct today! :)

That's the navy one?

• Advertisement

That's the navy one?

Yep!

Yep!

Green cars are bad luck anyway, the navy one is much nicer!

Green cars are bad luck anyway, the navy one is much nicer!

So everyone keeps saying! So yeah now I've the green one just sitting there and I dunno what to do with it

I'm sure some smartarse will be along to say set it on fire :rolleyes:

I've a few butane bottles if required...winter bbq meet?

I've a few butane bottles if required...winter bbq meet?

:pac: smartarse :P

But yeah if anyone wants a fixerupper it's there for the taking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Looks like it's not our week Bear1 :(

Hit and run foxhole again was it where that happen?

Was the advert for a Golf?

Sorry couldnt resist :p

Ah no it was an astra h I was just flicking through ads. I'm not as obsessed with golds as you all make out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I'm down in listowel and Killarney for the week if any boardziez fancy a mini meet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

A meet soon would be no harm atall atall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

A meet soon would be no harm atall atall

After the last success? lol

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Hit and run foxhole again was it where that happen?

No, a rear ender of the entrance to the Kinsale Road Roundabout from the city entrance. Ringing her now tomorrow to sort it all out, won't be too bad, I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Was in boxing tonight, bad things happened.
    Now in A+E, think I broke my arm.

No driving for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

No, a rear ender of the entrance to the Kinsale Road Roundabout from the city entrance. Ringing her now tomorrow to sort it all out, won't be too bad, I hope.

Ah that's ok so hopefully its be sorted quick enough! You were getting the bumpers done weren't you can do it all now maybe at same time like.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Was in boxing tonight, bad things happened.
    Now in A+E, think I broke my arm.

No driving for a while.

That sucks dude :( but this is why you should drive auto :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement