Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football rule Changes?

• 21-09-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭

After the snoozefest that was the All Ireland, is it time to alter the rules to promote attacking play, and mitigate against over defensive strategies ?

increasingly, especially at club level, we see banks of 13 defenders, pulling and dragging, cynical fouling, and low scoring bores. It ain't enjoyable to play, and it ain't enjoyable to watch! This, by the way isn't necessarily an attack on the so called 'Ulster style' per se. Good defense is important to any game, but the recent trends mitigate against good individual play too much IMHO.

So the question is, are rule changes needed ?
    If so, what would you suggest ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

People were talking about changes because Dublin were too good four weeks ago.
    The rules are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Considering the semi-final games were among the most exciting football games I've ever witnessed, I think it is a bit over the top to suggest rule changes from just one game.

Infact I think this year we've seen a much more attacking approach from teams compared to previous years, possibly as a result of the black card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The only rule change that will eliminate what we saw to day is a direct rule that bans it. I've suggested numerous times that a rule that at all times at least 5 men must be inside the 65 metre line of the goal they are attacking would improve football.

However overall football is in good shape the league was brilliant this year and when we got evenly matched teams playing each other in the championship the games were good (the 3 semi finals were excellent games) the structure of the championship is a bigger issue than any rule changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

So the question is, are rule changes needed ?

No.

/thread.

Big Ears wrote: »
    Considering the semi-final games were among the most exciting football games I've ever witnessed, I think it is a bit over the top to suggest rule changes from just one game.

Infact I think this year we've seen a much more attacking approach from teams compared to previous years, possibly as a result of the black card.

The big rule change needed is better referring. Kerry would not of won the all Ireland only for an appalling ref in the semi. Its not good enough.

GAA keep changing the rules instead of correctly enforcing the existing ones. Bring in video in croke park with multiple refs and umpires that know what they are doing.

GAA are making millions in croke park, pay the officials professionally and expect professional referring.

There was an incident in the first half today where a Kerry back kicked a ball out two feet away from an umpire and he waved it wide, how is that standard acceptable in todays semi professional era its making a mockery of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

A few replies suggesting that because we had a couple of good games in the semi finals, then all is well. I watch a lot of club games, and if they are a reflection on where the game is going, then changes are required imo.
    I'd ask that you consider games at all levels

A few replies suggesting that because we had a couple of good games in the semi finals, then all is well. I watch a lot of club games, and if they are a reflection on where the game is going, then changes are required imo.
    I'd ask that you consider games at all levels

Club games are nowhere near the standard of intercounty level. There's too much arsing around with rules to be honest since the turn of the millenium. Just leave the game the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭threeball

No one said a word when we were nearly bored to death by both the hurling Quarter finals or the Cork Tipp semi yet the hurling snobs were back up on their high horses again today after only 20mins of the game. The only problem that football has is the lack of games and repetitive matchups of the same counties ad nauseum

No one said a word when we were nearly bored to death by both the hurling Quarter finals or the Cork Tipp semi yet the hurling snobs were back up on their high horses again today after only 20mins of the game. The only problem that football has is the lack of games and repetitive matchups of the same counties ad nauseum

threeball wrote: »

Same counties ad nauseam? The only team to reach consecutive A-I finals in recent times is Mayo (2012,2013). Before that you have to go back to Kerry (2006-2009). I'm being slightly pedantic though. It is the same teams in the semi's every year. The only reason we see different variations in the final is because there is a draw to determine which provincial winners play which.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Finals are usually poor games, there's just too much at stake, very rarely is a final (in any sport) a great spectacle for it's sport.

Personally, I would bring in 2 new rules, 1 would be the mark, if you make a clean catch from a kick that's over 30 meters long you get a "free" like Aussie Rules. The other rule would be that frees have to be taken within 30 seconds of the free been awarded (if there's an injury or hold up the ref can "pause" the clock), if it's not taken then the ball is thrown in.

ive suggested numerous times that a rule that at all times at least 5 men must be inside the 65 metre line of the goal they are attacking would improve football..

Thats just not practical.
    Lets say you have 5 players in there and the ball comes to rest on the wrong side of the line for the attacking team... With that rule in mind the attacker would have to stop at the line as he wouldn't be allowed to retrieve the ball sitting a yard away.... Would be farcical.

In the same situation, lets say a withdrawn player moves over the line... Hows someone meant to judge when the player out of the play steps over allowing the other player to come out.... Its just not practical.

A more workable alternative to that would be dropping to 13 a side... You wouldn't have 13 behind the ball so more space frees up.
    But freeing up space creates new problems... The tackle is a mess and with too much space players would be impossible to disposses... It only works now as players can 'choke' tackle someone forcing them to cough it up or overcarry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

All kickouts should have to pass the 45. The short kickout is a blight on the game.

Lets say you have 5 players in there and the ball comes to rest on the wrong side of the line for the attacking team... With that rule in mind the attacker would have to stop at the line as he wouldn't be allowed to retrieve the ball sitting a yard away.... Would be farcical.

In the same situation, lets say a withdrawn player moves over the line... Hows someone meant to judge when the player out of the play steps over allowing the other player to come out.... Its just not practical.

A more workable alternative to that would be dropping to 13 a side... You wouldn't have 13 behind the ball so more space frees up.
    But freeing up space creates new problems... The tackle is a mess and with too much space players would be impossible to disposses... It only works now as players can 'choke' tackle someone forcing them to cough it up or overcarry

Perhaps it isn't but its about the only way to get rid of the blanket defence (if people want to get rid of it) which is the major thing that reduces the entertainment of the game.I think if the game went 13 a side you would probably end up with teams playing 11 men behind the ball and one out and out forward. I think 13 a side would be a good idea as it would open up a lot of space for good players to exploit I would think it wouldn't get rid of a lot of managers desire to play a 90% defense minded game.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Same counties ad nauseam? The only team to reach consecutive A-I finals in recent times is Mayo (2012,2013). Before that you have to go back to Kerry (2006-2009). I'm being slightly pedantic though. It is the same teams in the semi's every year. The only reason we see different variations in the final is because there is a draw to determine which provincial winners play which.

I meant the provincial system. I've no problem with the cream rising to the top, its the artifical seperation that I have an issue with.

Clareman wrote: »
    Finals are usually poor games, there's just too much at stake, very rarely is a final (in any sport) a great spectacle for it's sport.

Personally, I would bring in 2 new rules, 1 would be the mark, if you make a clean catch from a kick that's over 30 meters long you get a "free" like Aussie Rules. The other rule would be that frees have to be taken within 30 seconds of the free been awarded (if there's an injury or hold up the ref can "pause" the clock), if it's not taken then the ball is thrown in.

The mark? No thank you. Take a game which is one of the best in the world when in full flight and turn it in to the stop start mess that is Aussie rules. Theres a reason that AR has no international following and never will, as a spectacle its ungainly and pi$$ poor and no amount of spectacular fielding or heavy bumps can cover that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

All kickouts should have to pass the 45. The short kickout is a blight on the game.

Of course its practical - Dont blow for a free immediately allow a 3 second rule to allow the team to regroup.

I think forcing kickouts beyond the 45 could restore the traditional high fielding.

BUT the biggest issue remains the refereeing - give linesmen the power to call for frees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The only rule change that will eliminate what we saw to day is a direct rule that bans it. I've suggested numerous times that a rule that at all times at least 5 men must be inside the 65 metre line of the goal they are attacking would improve football.

There's no 65 in football.

rule 1.2(i)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It would be nice to see the black card given when players deliberately try to stop an attack by holding players or the ball after the free has been given. Atm the ref can move the ball forward but by that time the opposition has had a chance to get back and flood the defence

There's no 65 in football.

rule 1.2(i)

There was a 65 metre line on the field yesterday and it is on most fields in the country.It may have no use but it's there.

• Advertisement

The mark? No thank you. Take a game which is one of the best in the world when in full flight and turn it in to the stop start mess that is Aussie rules. Theres a reason that AR has no international following and never will, as a spectacle its ungainly and pi$$ poor and no amount of spectacular fielding or heavy bumps can cover that up.

Oppose the mark all you want.

But frankly you have never watched a game of AFL if you think it's a poor spectacle.

As someone who watches NFL, NBA, Soccer, GAA, Rugby..... I can honestly say it's a toss up between AFL and Hurling for entertainment value .

The AFL is more widespread than most domestic sports, highlights shows are carried across multiple countries and ESPN cover the games.

The GAA could certainly learn a lot from the AFL, unfortunately they can't due to player poaching.
    In a perfect world where the AFL clubs weren't inclined to poach Irish players we could take a few aspects of that sport... mainly the tackle compared to our lame excuse for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I'd like to see existing rules implemented properly before any new ones are introduced. High tackles are something I'd particularly like to see dealt with appropriately.

The only new approach I'd love to see is to remove time keeping from the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

For the moment simply apply the existing rules. Some of which are being ingnored badly.
    Steps rule, 4 steps only. Players now deliberately run towards the defender with the ball in two hands and then try and burst their way past the tackler without soloing taking up to 8 steps. That is rugby gainline breaking tactics. This will allow the best defenders to shine with disposessions which they can't do right now with forwards holding onto the ball rugby style.

One big problem with the black card currently is clearly the extension to six substitutes. With six substitutes losing a player to a black card is not that damaging.
    Agree with those who say it should be extended to cover deliberate prevention of a quick free. This is absolutely chronic. Interferance with the goalkeepers kickout would be the same offence.

Oppose the mark all you want.

But frankly you have never watched a game of AFL if you think it's a poor spectacle.

As someone who watches NFL, NBA, Soccer, GAA, Rugby..... I can honestly say it's a toss up between AFL and Hurling for entertainment value .

The AFL is more widespread than most domestic sports, highlights shows are carried across multiple countries and ESPN cover the games.

The GAA could certainly learn a lot from the AFL, unfortunately they can't due to player poaching.
    In a perfect world where the AFL clubs weren't inclined to poach Irish players we could take a few aspects of that sport... mainly the tackle compared to our lame excuse for one.

Go watch Afl then cos very few I know or met have any time for it. For a professional sport it has next to no following outside of Australia. They can all the highlight shows you want but when no watches or just flick in and out it means nothing. Tremendous athletes yes, great spectacle, you must be having a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The Black card rule really needs to be looked at, and possible changed to just either a sin bin type offence, or 1 game ban.

The idea that it will stop a team dragging down the opposition with a few minutes left is just flawed, because you can bring on another man. However if the punishment was say a 1 game ban, how many players would take the risk in a semi final knowing they would miss the final??

The idea of having x amount of players within a certain zone at all times I think is pretty good idea actually.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    The Black card rule really needs to be looked at, and possible changed to just either a sin bin type offence, or 1 game ban.

The idea that it will stop a team dragging down the opposition with a few minutes left is just flawed, because you can bring on another man. However if the punishment was say a 1 game ban, how many players would take the risk in a semi final knowing they would miss the final??

The idea of having x amount of players within a certain zone at all times I think is pretty good idea actually.

They'd think nothing of it in a final though.
    I do agree it has to change though, a fifteen minute sin bin would be my preference. If you deserve a black card it should hurt your team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Purely from someone living abroad I'd like to quash your opinion (for the North American market that is) Aussie Rules since 2012 is growing hugely in Canada, they love it here! it's even now being introduced into schools and is on the main sports channels. In contrast Gaelic football is still just an Irish thing played by expats and sons of expats, in fact even the local Aussie Rules league games are being shown on Cable TV. AFL is a very entertaining game in my opinion, better than what we saw at the weekend.

They'd think nothing of it in a final though.
    I do agree it has to change though, a fifteen minute sin bin would be my preference. If you deserve a black card it should hurt your team

The only other punishment that would stop it and indeed in a final, would be to award a penalty if played gets black carded as well as possible sin bin for 5 mins.

The tackle from AFL is the last thing Gaelic Football needs it would destroy the skilful player.The great thing about Gaelic Football is that the rules if applied properly always favour the more skillful players.The mark wouldn't provide much benefit either there has been a real renaissance in the big midfielder in recent years and almost always the player who catches the ball gets the advantage and it would unnecessarily slow down the game and give defences more time to prepare.

We really need to stop judging the standard of the game based on one match per year.It's been a pretty decent year for football.AI club championships were entertaining, the league was excellent and when evenly matches teams met in the championship we saw some good football.

More analysis of competition structures that would maximise the games potential rather than nitpicking at the game whenever there is a bad match would be far more beneficial for the sport (in spite of me making a suggestion earlier in the thread that would get rid of the blanket defence).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Too much hand passing too, should put a limit on it

The only other punishment that would stop it and indeed in a final, would be to award a penalty if played gets black carded as well as possible sin bin for 5 mins.

possibly a penalty if deliberate drag down inside 21 and a 21 yard free if body checked or dragged down outside that, plus the card.

The tackle from AFL is the last thing Gaelic Football needs it would destroy the skilful player.The great thing about Gaelic Football is that the rules if applied properly always favour the more skillful players.The mark wouldn't provide much benefit either there has been a real renaissance in the big midfielder in recent years and almost always the player who catches the ball gets the advantage and it would unnecessarily slow down the game and give defences more time to prepare.

We really need to stop judging the standard of the game based on one match per year.It's been a pretty decent year for football.AI club championships were entertaining, the league was excellent and when evenly matches teams met in the championship we saw some good football.

More analysis of competition structures that would maximise the games potential rather than nitpicking at the game whenever there is a bad match would be far more beneficial for the sport (in spite of me making a suggestion earlier in the thread that would get rid of the blanket defence).

Exactly, why ape afl, if thats what floats your boat go play and watch that. Personally I think football is 10 times the game that afl is with some of the most beautiful fluid movement available in world sport when played to its best and I include hurling in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I called the Donegal approach "anti-football" on here a few days ago and I was bawled out of it. On the basis of the final I was proved right. Fact is both teams indulged in it and what worries me most is that both teams displayed some terrible shooting, even JOD missed a relatively easy point chance. Donegal meanwhile couldn't score from play until the 28th minute, due to a combination of poor shooting and Kerry limiting their opportunities to shoot.

As for changing the rules to encourage more attacking football, by all means, but very difficult to enforce. Possibly stop forwards crossing the half way line into their own defence or backs going forward, but again hard to police. It would however encourage a more open game. That would be in an ideal world and its not going to happen.

As Kerry proved yesterday the only way to beat an ultra blanket defence is to match it. So if one club or county team adopts this approach somewhere, it seems likely that everyone will need to use it. Which would be the end of Gaelic football as we know it. It would become a bit like F1...the team with the best mechanics or computers in the pitlane deciding the race instead of the best drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

One i heard before and might be worth a try, is to set a limit on fouls. For example, allow say 10 per half. Any over this, anywhere on the field, results in a 14 yard free.
    Sin bin is an obvious one, instead of the black card, but it makes sfa difference as refs are not using it anyway.
    Personally, I'd ban hand passing too.....little skill involved and as well as 4 step rule not being implemented, it promotes players drawing fouls and prevents honest contests for the ball.

One i heard before and might be worth a try, is to set a limit on fouls. For example, allow say 10 per half. Any over this, anywhere on the field, results in a 14 yard free.
    Sin bin is an obvious one, instead of the black card, but it makes sfa difference as refs are not using it anyway.
    Personally, I'd ban hand passing too.....little skill involved and as well as 4 step rule not being implemented, it promotes players drawing fouls and prevents honest contests for the ball.

You couldn't ban handpassing you'd end up with endless bottlenecks and scuffles, I'd ban the handpassed score though, its ugly.

I think the refs would sinbin a guy fairly quick, theres a mental bridge to cross when eliminating a player from a game completely thats not there with the bin.

• Advertisement

One other thing I think needs to be looked at is refs giving yellow cards to 2 players, without actually trying to establish what exactly happen, for example player could be thrown to the ground off the ball, get up and square up to the opponent and both get yellows.

A lot goes on in games in front of the umpires and they do nothing either which is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Of course its practical - Dont blow for a free immediately allow a 3 second rule to allow the team to regroup.

I think forcing kickouts beyond the 45 could restore the traditional high fielding.

BUT the biggest issue remains the refereeing - give linesmen the power to call for frees.

The last thing forcing kickouts beyond the 45 would do is encourage high fielding. U would have about 20 players crowded round the middle and it would be very difficult to get clean high fielding in that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

I dont think ive ever seen a ball come to rest in a gaelic match in my life so i dont think you need to worry bout that.

Yes this suggestion has flaws bit imo its the least bad solution if you want less packed defences and the best players getting a chance to shine, which i do- and im from Donegal.

As for 13 a side i think that could possibly have the opposite effect- instead of 11 defenders and 3 foreards whos to say a team wouldnt bring 11 men back when defending and then attack in numbers by handpassing and carrying the ball up the field. Tbh w handpassing teams like Donegal alot of the time the inside forwards mever see the ball anyway as they prefer to work it through the hands into the scoring zone.

harpsman wrote: »
    I dont think ive ever seen a ball come to rest in a gaelic match in my life so i dont think you need to worry bout that.

Yes this suggestion has flaws bit imo its the least bad solution if you want less packed defences and the best players getting a chance to shine, which i do- and im from Donegal.

As for 13 a side i think that could possibly have the opposite effect- instead of 11 defenders and 3 foreards whos to say a team wouldnt bring 11 men back when defending and then attack in numbers by handpassing and carrying the ball up the field. Tbh w handpassing teams like Donegal alot of the time the inside forwards mever see the ball anyway as they prefer to work it through the hands into the scoring zone.
    Iv watched and coached 13 a side and played and coached 11 a side. I don't think can play as effective a blanket compared to 15 a side. Remember the man on the ball if he gets past his marker is statistically going to have more space even if a 13 a side team bring 11 players back. What I witnessed in 13 a side was that getting past your marker really opened up space. Usually both midfielders would drop back n at most two forwards to midfield/half back. Thats not really 11 back n even if it was like that the man on the ball is not as crowded for his pass or shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

harpsman wrote: »

very simple change, if you receive a handpass you can't handpass it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

There was supposed to be a hooter system implemented this year but when it was trialled in the Sigerson it threw up some issues that needed addressing.

[Clock wasnt stopped for subs which was a joke]

Nearly certain it will be brought in next year - not sure if it will be in the league or the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Good post. There are a few fairly obvious changes which ought to come in but nothing as fundamental as has been suggested. As you say, the overreaction to one bad game in football is always hysterical.
    One other thing I think needs to be looked at is refs giving yellow cards to 2 players, without actually trying to establish what exactly happen, for example player could be thrown to the ground off the ball, get up and square up to the opponent and both get yellows.

A lot goes on in games in front of the umpires and they do nothing either which is not right.

It should be ten lashes in the public square for every time a ref hands out two yellow cards. Better he did nothing. Even in the non-existent case where both players are equally guilty the punishment is vastly more punitive on the back than the forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭GBXI

There are some major changes needed in Gaelic football, most of them are easily done, some would be more fundamental. None of the changes I propose are as a result of Sunday's game or the fact that teams drop players back - that would be ridiculous. Sunday, for various reasons, was a poor quality game, this happens. Defensive tactics are as important in the game as attacking tactics.

- Firstly, time-keeping needs to be taken out of the referees hands and a hooter/stop-clock system introduced. I believe this was planned for this year but abandoned for some reason. It needs to be introduced quickly, it frees up the ref to do his main job (which is incredibly hard anyway), and it's easily done. Also, it removes the farcical Gaelic football tradition of adding 1 minute at the end of the 1st half and 2 at the end of the second, regardless of what stoppages there are.

- Already mentioned above, but a bigger (biggest) blight on the game of Gaelic football than the cynical dragging down of a player in on goal, is the intentional slowing down of a player taking a free kick by either holding onto the ball, standing on front of the free-taker, or pulling the free-taker back. Referees currently bring the ball forward but this isn't severe enough. Give the fouling player a yellow card and this blight would disappear in half a season.

- The general competence of referees/officials needs to improve greatly. This is not the fault of the current referees but the idiots who administer the GAA. The 45 not given to Donegal on Sunday is one of the most farcical decisions I've seen in a long time on a football pitch and sums up the GAA administrator's lack of professionalism towards it's players. Another quick example, the ruling in the black card where a player has to hit the ground for the fouler to be sent off is scandalous. Also, the problem of the tackle would improve greatly if refs were trained properly on how to ref this area. I could go on all day on this! Significant improvement could be made here if the GAA trained it's referees/umpires/linesmen properly and paid them. Easily done, IMO.

- As mentioned on The Sunday Game, prior to the August Bank Holiday weekend the football Championship is stale. This problem requires more fundamental change but it still has to be looked at. I have my own theories about Champions League style format similar to our own club championship in Mayo or 4 groups of 8 (retaining some form of Provincial Championships) but at the least, the scheduling of fixtures needs to change as the gaps between games are way too big, again embarrassingly so.

- Small enough thing here, but the GAA also need to look at the kits that competing teams wear when counties with similar colours come up against each other. I'm usually fine watching the games, but I know there are many people who struggle to differentiate between the two because the kits are so similar. This is easily solved, by making every team have a vastly different away jersey than their home one.

Think of the difference being able to take quick frees would've had last Sunday. Interesting to count how many frees were slowed down in entire game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Provincial winners should play their QFs at a venue of their choosing would be one I'd put forward, i.e. at home if their home stadium is suitable, at a suitable ground of their choice otherwise, or Croke Park if they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Some silly suggestions being put out here imo but tbh you'll never win with some crowd. When Dublin were playing this swasbuckling style of attacking football we needed to split the county. When Donegal are defending in numbers (And attacking in numbers, but lets ignore that) we have to ban all defensive strategies. The rules just need enforced ( as has been said in this thread numerous times) The amount of times a Kerry player held onto the ball on Sunday to slow a free was silly.

Donegal players weren't innocent in that matter either mind you. That should be black card. The officiating in general needs to improve. There were some soft frees for either side at different points of the game but I recall an abysmal decision to not give Donegal a 45 at one point also. The umpires are semi useless.

Timekeeping is awful in nearly any sport (bar rugby) I would say its marginally worse in GAA than in Soccer. 1 min 1st half 2 mins 2nd half always. On Sunday Kerry took about 2 mins to hit a free kick given in the 68th or 69th min but there was 2 mins added time for the whole half. Even after the scuffling and a Kerryman kicking the ball away from Durcan in injury time, the game was blown up at 72.30. A lot of cynical behaviour would be stopped if players knew that time wasting like this would hold no benefit over the course of the match. (This irked me loads when Dublin play and Cluxton takes around 20-30 secs to jog up. 20 more secs to set himself for the free. 3 or 4 times a half. No additional time)

Steps essentially isn't a rule anymore. I understand a little bit of leniancy in certain circumstances but players getting 8-10 steps to run at a defender is hardly fair. I wouldn't mind if they upped it to 5 steps a bounce/solo but refereed it farrrr more strictly than now. The black card did a whole lot in stopping some of the cynical play but some of the rulings need to be better defined and perhaps a harsher punishment. For example a forced sub AND a 5min S inbin or just a Sin Bin.

The calls to ban/limit the handpass or different strategies is stupid imo. There's not much point in managers if we're setting out to stringently define how they should set up their teams from a preset list of approved strategies.

The underlying issue is poor refereeing which we all simply accept. I mean, how many times have you seen the 1min/2min HT/FT added time? Or one player pull down another player only for both players to get booked because the ref has no idea what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

keane2097 wrote: »
    Provincial winners should play their QFs at a venue of their choosing would be one I'd put forward, i.e. at home if their home stadium is suitable, at a suitable ground of their choice otherwise, or Croke Park if they wish.

Not a hope of this happening. Totally unfair on fans from the north having to travel to Tralee or vice versa. The GAA should prioritise fans when deciding venues, not what suits players and teams.

Anyways, the GAA will always try to squeeze money out of games and Croke Park is its cashcow. Hence the reason its loathe to allow any AI games go outside of hq.

Advertisement