Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving from dublin

• 21-09-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    My wife and are in our early 60s and have been thinking of selling up in Dublin and moving to Wicklow
    We have looked at some places we seen on line in the baltinglass area
    We would like to hear from others who have done this and what are the pros and cons that we might have missed
    Thanks in advance
    N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

I'd also be interested to read people opinions on living in and around Baltinglass area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I don't know much about Baltinglass bar the obvious. A bit remote with a close-knit community which can be good/bad and the roads to it aren't great.

I found three threads which mention living in Baltinglass. They're a few years old but still might help if you want to read through them: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77681385

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72507585

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68333630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I went to baltinglass from Bray to see a man about a dog once (genuinely) and by god is it a long drive.

In other words I wouldn't like to have to commute to work or shop from there to the east coastal strip. If retired, maybe that's not an issue. Perhaps shopping can be done in Carlow Town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

noelhx wrote: »
    Hi
    My wife and are in our early 60s and have been thinking of selling up in Dublin and moving to Wicklow
    We would like to hear from others who have done this and what are the pros and cons that we might have missed
    Thanks in advance
    N

Hey Noelhx
    Myself, husband and kids moved to Baltinglass from Dublin - nine years ago now. Best move we ever made. We had a lot of criticism from family and friends when we decided to move down, people saying it was too far, in the middle of no where etc etc.
    It's the best move we ever made. We both commute for work, doesn't bother us, the N81 is a dangerous enough road - or more so the eejits on it are dangerous but once you get used to it It's fine.
    My husband travels to Rathfarnham for work and it takes 40 minutes.

It's a beautiful area, people are very friendly
    great community spirit
    My friend recently moved down in the last 6 months with her family plus her father in his 60's and they only regret not doing it sooner.

It's 15 minutes from Tullow which is where I would do my Grocery shopping in Tesco, Lidl, or Aldi
    Carlow is about 20 minutes away and you have everything you need there
    Newbridge is 30 minutes away

We love it and would never move back to the big smoke :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    Hey Noelhx
    My husband travels to Rathfarnham for work and it takes 40 minutes.
    )

I'd have to dispute that - it takes me 50 minutes to get to the M50 and i'm in Donard which is a bit closer to dublin then Baltinglas. And thats at 6am with the roads relatively quite. You might make Tallaght/M50 junction in 40 minutes driving like a demon but not Rathfarnham.

The N81 is a horrible road, espcially on a pitch dark winter's morning, with lots of speeding drivers and exceptionally dangerous overtakers.

Overall if you intend to commute and want to live in wicklow you'd be better off looking along the N11 corridor - Arklow to Rathfarnham is further out by 6 miles but takes about the same time to drive (although prices in the east of wicklow are much higher).

Still, that part of south wicklow is very nice and quiet and having driven through Baltinglas a few times, it is not a bad looking town. And there is the annual elvis-look-alike competition in nearby Hacketstown, which is a hellva lot of fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 milkjunkie90

noelhx wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks in advance
    N
    I moved from Dublin to Co. Louth and i would never look back, the space, no traffic, fresh air, nice people. Dublin is a tip...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

dogmatix wrote: »
    I'd have to dispute that - it takes me 50 minutes to get to the M50 and i'm in Donard which is a bit closer to dublin then Baltinglas. And thats at 6am with the roads relatively quite. You might make Tallaght/M50 junction in 40 minutes driving like a demon but not Rathfarnham.

The N81 is a horrible road, espcially on a pitch dark winter's morning, with lots of speeding drivers and exceptionally dangerous overtakers.

Overall if you intend to commute and want to live in wicklow you'd be better off looking along the N11 corridor - Arklow to Rathfarnham is further out by 6 miles but takes about the same time to drive (although prices in the east of wicklow are much higher).

Still, that part of south wicklow is very nice and quiet and having driven through Baltinglas a few times, it is not a bad looking town.

he has being doing it for the last 9 years I think he knows how long it takes him.
    He doesn't go near the M50.
    He leaves the house at 5.10 and is in work by 5.50-5.55 to open the office for 6 am.
    I commuted to the Dublin 2 area for years and it took me exactly an hour to do the 37 miles commute - not at peak time as it was again 5am
    And no we aren't speed racers. We are sensible parents of teens.
    Husband would finish work at lunch time and yes it would definitely take a bit longer to get home then as traffic through Blessington can be busy at that time

The N81 is dangerous there's no disputing that, but once you get used to it It's fine, it's the drivers on it that's the problem.

Just asked my husband there and he said max it takes is 50 minutes and that's 60mph on the N81

Advertisement