Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had no success with spinning

Options
  • 21-09-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have used a mepps aglia in two locations. 1) Wild brownies(catch and release all the way) 2)Ballyhass for rainbow trout(only keeps 1 and release small ones) and these two locations had no success with mepps. I added two shot weights onto the line to help my casting distances. Now I was reading don't use weight on the spinners as it would affect them. Is this true. How fast do we retrieve. And can u give me any other extra tips to use these spinners.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    I have used a mepps aglia in two locations. 1) Wild brownies(catch and release all the way) 2)Ballyhass for rainbow trout(only keeps 1 and release small ones) and these two locations had no success with mepps. I added two shot weights onto the line to help my casting distances. Now I was reading don't use weight on the spinners as it would affect them. Is this true. How fast do we retrieve. And can u give me any other extra tips to use these spinners.
    Thank you

Depends on the speed of the water.
    But I would've thought the rainbows would've snapped the spinner. What size were you using

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

Depends on the speed of the water.
    But I would've thought the rainbows would've snapped the spinner. What size were you using

a rainbow wouldn't have snapped it would it. I only caught rainbows on worm. well any way is it faster the faster the water and slower the slower the water is etc

Meant a rainbow would've snapped it up. They'd go for anything. Have caught them while retrieving a worm.
    The faster the water the slower the retrieve. In non moving water I'd let it sink and draw at a steady pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Use a bubble with the spinner and use a size 00 with blue dots and you shouldn't be keeping the rainbow trout :mad:

Snowc wrote: »
    Use a bubble with the spinner and use a size 00 with blue dots and you shouldn't be keeping the rainbow trout :mad:

True. They taste like Shiite :)

• Advertisement

I don't mind the taste of them. it depends on what they were fed on in the fisheries and how long they were feeding on natural food in th lakes I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Snowc wrote: »

why not? the only place you can catch them is stocked lakes and you have to pay for the privilege to fish them.if you catch them in the river you are supposed to kill rainbow as they are not a native species and can cause damage to native stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rjap

Tie in a little piece of red wool or somethin at the hook end it'll increase your catch rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

your problem is the location id imagine , ballyhaas has gone downhill in last few years if ya ask me

i used get 10 at least everytime i went down now your lucky to get 2 really bad conditioned fish no matter what method your using {small lake now }

big lake used hold some monsters i had them 8/9lb now you be lucky to get a 3lb fish

popsy09 wrote: »
    your problem is the location id imagine , ballyhaas has gone downhill in last few years if ya ask me

i used get 10 at least everytime i went down now your lucky to get 2 really bad conditioned fish no matter what method your using {small lake now }

big lake used hold some monsters i had them 8/9lb now you be lucky to get a 3lb fish

I caught only three rainbows that day. I think it's being fished out as the big lake is closed for wakeboarding the small lake is probably being fished out because everyone goes to the small lake now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement