Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Dublin to Wicklow

Options
  • 21-09-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi
    my wife and I early 60s are thinking of selling up in Dublin and moving to Wicklow
    I am sure lots of you out there have done the same
    what are the pros and cons that we might not have thought about
    thanks in advance VN
    n

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Hi Noel,

I am 60 and moved from central Dublin to a small town in Co Offaly about 3 years ago.

I am pleased with the move. I don't have a car but am close to a train station. I think its important to have transport private or public to be able to visit Dublin where most of my circle of friends were and for them to be able to visit me.

In the beginning there was a big influx of friends to visit me in the country, curious about my new home. Most of them only made the one visit though so it was important to make new contacts. I did that by joining hospitality exchanges on the internet. I found it very difficult to meet people here in Offaly because I am an outsider and in a small town in the country I always will be. Wicklow may be more cosmopolitan than Offaly though.

I enjoyed finding out where all the local services were to be found. I wouldn't want to do it again though, its time consuming when you don't know where things are situated.

Internet is essential. Couldn't do it without and couldn't stay here without it.

Good luck with your move to the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 noelhx

Thanks Nomis
    yes internet is essential
    we have been driving around looking and have seen some lovely places
    i think fairly close to a town is important even though we both drive (at the moment)
    any other tips would be appreciated
    N

Advertisement