Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting photos of bad parking at school

Options
  • 21-09-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

My child is in a primary school where a number of parents park illegally and inconsiderately when dropping off or collecting their children. Recently as I try to use the blocked footpath outside the school I have been taking photos of the parked cars (no people in the photos).

I fully realise that every school in the country has similar issues.
    Has anybody here ever taken and uploaded similar photos from their child's school? Does such "shaming" help?
    Or does anyone have suggestions or experiences that have improved parking around the school?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Uploaded to where though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

daymobrew wrote: »
    My child is in a primary school where a number of parents park illegally and inconsiderately when dropping off or collecting their children. Recently as I try to use the blocked footpath outside the school I have been taking photos of the parked cars (no people in the photos).

I fully realise that every school in the country has similar issues.
    Has anybody here ever taken and uploaded similar photos from their child's school? Does such "shaming" help?
    Or does anyone have suggestions or experiences that have improved parking around the school?

With the ways some parents leave their cars around schools they don't have any shame. If they willingly abandon their car in dangerous positions outside the school where their children attend then posting it on the web won't make a difference.

There's only one solution to the dangerous and inconsiderate parking at schools and that involves our law enforcers being told to enforce parking laws around schools, a couple of €50+ parking tickets and points, will soon teach people to park correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

January wrote: »
    Uploaded to where though?
    PTA Facebook page.

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's only one solution to the dangerous and inconsiderate parking at schools and that involves our law enforcers being told to enforce parking laws around schools, a couple of €50+ parking tickets and points, will soon teach people to park correctly.
    I agree that parking fines and penalty points would be great but, in my experience, Blanchardstown Gardai are very lazy (I reported a commuter parked car in early August - it had a fake insurance disc, NCT that was expired 12+ months ago and no motor tax - 7 weeks later they still have not given the car a ticket!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You could spend less time worrying about what everyone else else is doing and more time getting on with your own life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Swanner wrote: »
    You could spend less time worrying about what everyone else else is doing and more time getting on with your own life.
    As bad parking can put childrens lives at risk (such as totally blocking the footpath, forcing kids to walk on busy roads), the OP may have their own reasons.

OP; don't bother with the Gardai. Take a few photos, and send them to the local County Council, addressed to the traffic warden. The bad parking is paperwork for the Gardai, but it'll be revenue to the traffic warden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

In my experience people who park like that have no shame, so uploading photos for name and shame wont change their behaviour one iota.
    Their sense of self-entitlement is too strong, and of course they are educating their children (the most important children at the school) in that behaviour by example.
    Even where there is ample safe parking provided nearby the self-entitled class will always want to park as close to the school gates as possible, even if that's on the footpath, across the exit, whatever. (I know of a school in Trim near the fire station and parents regularly block the exit from the station with their cars, because well, their children are more important that anyone requiring an ambulance or fire brigade).

It's frustrating but I dont know if it will ever change, it's such a universal thing at every school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ask the head master to bring it up. Then keep hounding the council and the garda. If some one is hurt as a result of the bad parking, and they've all been informed it will look very bad if they've done nothing.

But I reckon the only way to change this bad parking is parking fines. Anything else is wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The parent association is probably the best place to bring it up, I believe thy have an AGM coming up very soon, Wednesday 1st October 2014.

Here are there contact details

"If you would like to contact the PA, we would love to hear from you. Please send us your suggestions, ideas, feedback via:"

HAND: Dedicated Post-Box at the School Reception

E-MAIL: stpatrickspa@yahoo.com

TELEPHONE / TEXT: 085 844 8064

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

beauf wrote: »
    Then keep hounding the council and the garda. If some one is hurt as a result of the bad parking, and they've all been informed it will look very bad if they've done nothing.

Be sure the car park is a public road. If it's owned by the school and not the council the guards can't do anything. Why hound guards anyway are they not busy enough as is? Hound your local traffic warden (again be sure it's a council owned car park)

• Advertisement

Lmklad wrote: »
    Be sure the car park is a public road. If it's owned by the school and not the council the guards can't do anything. Why hound guards anyway are they not busy enough as is? Hound your local traffic warden (again be sure it's a council owned car park)
    The issue is parking on a public footpath outside the school. It blocks access to the official crossing point where the lollipop lady it. It also blocks passage of children from another school nearby.

The principal has been writing to Fingal County Council for 6 years for double yellow lines but no action from them.
    Last year 2 fire engines and an ambulance could not pass on the road because of the illegal parking.
    In Malahide a child died because an ambulance was unable to pass along a road was blocked by inconsiderate parking (I am digging up a link for this).

BTW, it is not St Patrick's NS - they have a solution (Spar car park), this school does not have such a facility.

I will contact the traffic warden - good idea.

Lmklad wrote: »

What car park? Because its their job? I've no idea if they are busy. Never see them.

The cars are parking on the footpath. Making it dangerous. People can't around them easily.

I doubt the issue is they just look untidy.

I tend to find with these kinda of things a letter that's proof that people were informed of issues like this. Highlighting the danger and risk. Tends to light an issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BTW, it is not St Patrick's NS - they have a solution (Spar car park), this school does not have such a facility.

Ah ok, unfortunately they still have issue like this, people even parking on the roundabout!

Best of luck and I hope a result come from it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

No one will find a solution to this...

I have hundreds of photos with cars parked all over the place, I've been chatting with Caretakers,Principals,BoMs...no solution will be found.

Caretakers been abused verbally and physically...parents told "mind your fcukign business" by other parents...others been accused been racist that I'm one colour and you are not...tens of letters sent home to parents by schools.

IF someone will come with a working solution,a big pint of Guinness from me...

Also, be aware of data protection when you upload (if you do it) as it may create problems to yourself with others. I will not do it... not worth it !

From 8:30AM to 9:15AM parents dropping children to school are completely out of touch with reality, are slaves to time, clock and 8:50 school bell !
    After 9:15 they are like some different set of fcukign angels...like nothing happened, smiling, chatting and gossip it at the side of the road ! :)

I will contact the traffic warden - good idea.
    Grr, traffic wardens only issue fines in pay and display areas.
    rolion wrote: »
    Also, be aware of data protection when you upload (if you do it) as it may create problems to yourself with others. I will not do it... not worth it !
    In 2010 the High Court ruled that photos taken in a public place (my photos are taken on a public road [not the path, because that is blocked] outside the school) are not subject to privacy protection. A corporate law firm interpreted it similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Probably a bit off topic, but at second level you would swear that some of the students have no legs. 12, 13, 14 etc year olds being dropped right up to the front door of our school instead of walking from the road. Mammy and Daddy or whoever the chaufer is cloggs and blocks traffic up big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Commiserations OP, I have the same problem.

Here's an illustration of the challenge you face (from the website you linked):
    The Gardaí and local residents have again approached the school regarding the issue of dangerous and illegal parking.

The Gardaí have approached the school. How very Irish. A public service with a statutory remit, funded from the public purse, ignores their lawful powers as well as their "protect and serve" function, and instead goes to the school making ineffectual attempts to put the onus of responsibility on people who have neither the time nor the resources nor the mandate to tackle the root of the problem.

I see that your local authority is also useless in this regard. No surprise there.

Name and shame does have an impact. Not people's names or faces, but car registrations. The challenge is where to post the images. Boards won't do, but I gather that Twitter and Facebook have their uses.

I'm not au fait with the technology myself, but I understand that Twitter can be particularly effective. My broad understanding is that including the Garda hashtag includes them in any Tweet you make.

http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=87&Lang=1

So, perhaps, one approach might be to start tweeting photos showing theft of pedestrian space and endangerment of vulnerable road users, pointing out the absence or ineffectiveness of Garda/Local Authority intervention? Include the Garda hashtag, and see what happens...

I would also suggest that you need to link up with like-minded people, with a view to devising a "whole-of-community" solution.

The docs might help you get started. Note the reference to "name and shame" in the UK STARS guide.

http://www.staccreditation.org.uk/school/toolkits/WhatWorksStarGuidance.pdf

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Schoolroadsafety/Safe%20school%20travel%20safest/School%20environment%20safety/Qldguidetoschoolroadsafetysection1.pdf

Advertisement