Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

We do need professional landlords but they could be encouraged to build not buy. Do you think that prices would be so high to buy if thousands of properties are takes out of the system? There are 3K houses for sale on DAFT in Dublin, imagine if the Government wasn't selling to external investors.

ITs a deliberate policy to push up house prices.

A lot of REIT stakeholders are Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Crusades

Not really, most people leaving college would be 23-24 at the earliest. As well, many engineering/science degrees are now 5 years long(they now include a masters program in the final year). Plus Transition Year in secondary skill.. you get my point.

It's time to put Facebook away and grow up.

If you haven't got your sh*t figured out and are still house sharing at 30; there's something wrong with you.

No hot girls will want anything to do with you and you'll end up as a beta male provider for some wan who you'll never be able to keep happy. It will all come to a sorry end in the family courts where she'll want a divorce settlement from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Crusades wrote: »
    It's time to put Facebook away and grow up.

If you haven't got your sh*t figured out and are still house sharing at 30; there's something wrong with you.

No hot girls will want anything to do with you and you'll end up as a beta male provider for some wan who you'll never be able to keep happy. It will all come to a sorry end in the family courts where she'll want a divorce settlement from you.

That's ludicrous, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Don't feed the troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

remember a lot of people lost thier jobs and had to retrain so being at the start of your career in your 30's is not uncommon. We dont all work in the public sector or have masters to fall back on. You would be lucky o find a job on anything over 25000 a year these days employers just are not paying. 8.65-10.10 an hour is the norm. after you have paid the rent and bills you would be lucky to have 50 euro a week.

• Advertisement

My dad bought his first house at 26.

I'm really struggling to buy my first house and I'm early to mid 30s.

There are far too many teenage men in their 30s and 40s wearing funky t-shirts and jeans pi$$ing a secure retirement up against the wall by having €200 weekends every weekend.

...__... wrote: »
    remember a lot of people lost thier jobs and had to retrain so being at the start of your career in your 30's is not uncommon. We dont all work in the public sector or have masters to fall back on. You would be lucky o find a job on anything over 25000 a year these days employers just are not paying. 8.65-10.10 an hour is the norm. after you have paid the rent and bills you would be lucky to have 50 euro a week.

Over 30 is too old for an increasing number employers. They favour youthful naivety (a one-day-it-will-be-great living-in-the-future mentality) over men/women who require a decent wage to provide for a family. Also, women need to have their babies before they're 35 and they tend to flock to public/semi-state jobs which are *very* accommodating.

The pool of naive young employees is bigger than ever. Government policy (Jobbridge) has lowered their expectations too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

My dad bought his first house at 26.

I'm really struggling to buy my first house and I'm early to mid 30s.

There are far too many teenage men in their 30s and 40s wearing funky t-shirts and jeans pi$$ing a secure retirement up against the wall by having €200 weekends every weekend.

Things were different 30 years ago. People have much more mobility now. Jobs for life are rare.

The problem is that developers, builders and estate agents are foaming at the mouth waiting for the good times to return and will do anything to make it happen, including leaning on government to instigate another property bubble.

Things were different 30 years ago. People have much more mobility now. Jobs for life are rare.

The problem is that developers, builders and estate agents are foaming at the mouth waiting for the good times to return and will do anything to make it happen, including leaning on government to instigate another property bubble.

Why are things different?

Why can working people not afford modest homes? There are retired or retiring taxi drivers, teachers, nurses, Gardai with very nice houses in leafy suburbs. Fair play to them. They worked hard and they deserve a peaceful retirement.

I know of nurses with 5+ years' experience still flat sharing and have no savings. I also know of fully qualified teachers who supplement their dole with whatever hours they can get their hands on and are on RAS.

Why are term & conditions of employment and pensions so poor? Why should those who haven't a snowball's chance in hell of getting these pensions pay for them? Today's teachers and nurses work the same hours and do the same work for nowhere near the same benefits.

IMO a flexible, mobile workforce ought to be rewarded, not penalised.

A civilised country that cannot provide basic comforts and security for its workers is not a country worth contributing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Actually nurses today don't do the same work nurses did a generation ago. Nurses don't get down on their hands and knees and scrub wards clean or empty bed pans or such like anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

murphaph wrote: »
    Actually nurses today don't do the same work nurses did a generation ago. Nurses don't get down on their hands and knees and scrub wards clean or empty bed pans or such like anymore.

Correct. They are university educated professionals that deliver healthcare and patient advocacy. They are not cleaners certainly.

Why are things different?

Simply put, economics and demographics. The Ireland of today is unrecognisable in those respects from the Ireland of 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

drumswan wrote: »
    Ive no problem with house sharing when you are a bit younger, but its not something we should expect graduates 4-5 years into their careers to be doing.

Why not? I sure as hell was, most of my peers were.

As for buying a house, people should ask anybody over 50 who bought houses in their 20s and 30s exactly what they had in that house the first night they slept there and where they got it, one month later and one year later, it'll be an eye opener.
    Everyone today wants the finished article, they're not prepared to do anything to turn something not quite fully formed into something better. They believe they should have houses in mature estate because they perceive that's what their equivalents from previous generations have but their equivalents from previous generations bought in new estates and formed the communities that matured the estates. If you think you should live in a better community, make it better, how many people can say they've done even one thing that makes their neighbours life better whether they know them or not?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Why not? I sure as hell was, most of my peers were.
    What's next? Dormitories for working people?

What's the point in working if there's no dividend?
    alias no.9 wrote: »
    As for buying a house, people should ask anybody over 50 who bought houses in their 20s and 30s exactly what they had in that house the first night they slept there and where they got it, one month later and one year later, it'll be an eye opener.
    Everyone today wants the finished article, they're not prepared to do anything to turn something not quite fully formed into something better. They believe they should have houses in mature estate because they perceive that's what their equivalents from previous generations have but their equivalents from previous generations bought in new estates and formed the communities that matured the estates. If you think you should live in a better community, make it better, how many people can say they've done even one thing that makes their neighbours life better whether they know them or not?

That's rubbish. I know of a teacher in her 40s who recently bought a 2-bed ex council house in Donnycarney and she had to beg her family and the bank to lend her the money. She got furniture from family and friends. I guess she can count herself lucky that she has a permanent job, unlike peers a handful of years younger who are f*cked in terms of job security.

Most of her neighbours got their houses for free and don't work. Which is nice to know when you're waiting at the bus stop at 7:30 on a November morning.

There are loads of 35 year-old+ house sharers who still believe that one day everything will be great. Still Facebooking away about how wonderful their lives are.

They will wake up one day finding themselves with nothing to show for 10 to 15 years' work - no savings, no assets, nothing.

murphaph wrote: »

Teachers of today have to potty train and wipe bums of kids who were reared by strangers working for €8.65 in a creche because working mum was back at her desk after 6 months to pay for the mortgage on the duplex and keep diesel in the car. Do you think there's been a pay rise for those tasks?

Anyway, next time you're in hospital you should go in with that attitude. See how much time you're left waiting around.

Why do you think a 30 year-old agency nurse on €30k should pay for the pensions + lump sums of recently retired nurses who voted that "new entrants" should have a special pay rate to protect the older person's income? She's effectively doing the same work for half the pay, with house prices costing twice as much. It's not the older person's fault, but the work/reward system that operates in this country - a system where there's almost zero dividend from working in low paid jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

That's rubbish. I know of a teacher in her 40s who recently bought a 2-bed ex council house in Donnycarney and she had to beg her family and the bank to lend her the money. She got furniture from family and friends. I guess she can count herself lucky that she has a permanent job, unlike peers a handful of years younger who are f*cked in terms of job security.

Most of her neighbours got their houses for free and don't work. Which is nice to know when you're waiting at the bus stop at 7:30 on a November morning.

There are loads of 35 year-old+ house sharers who still believe that one day everything will be great. Still Facebooking away about how wonderful their lives are.

They will wake up one day finding themselves with nothing to show for 10 to 15 years' work - no savings, no assets, nothing.

Get off Facebook then.

When did each person having a bedroom of their own with shared living space become so unacceptable? Even singles who do own their own places tend to rent out rooms.
    Maybe there's more to life than owning property

There's nothing new about having to make huge sacrifices to afford modest housing, sure prices were lower in the past but interest rates were colossal. There was a brief period where nearly anybody could get 110% mortgages and everything could be shiny and new and you could have it instantly, but its back to reality now.
    As for the Facebookers, maybe they don't feel the need to own the house they live in or they're happy to live for now rather than having their life consumed by trying to grasp something that they feel is out of reach right now.

Teachers of today have to potty train and wipe bums of kids who were reared by strangers working for €8.65 in a creche because working mum was back at her desk after 6 months to pay for the mortgage on the duplex and keep diesel in the car. Do you think there's been a pay rise for those tasks?

Its funny, teachers I've been talking to have said that the ECEE year of preschool has made a huge difference to junior infants, it's no longer how you describe it and it's not so long since the mum's were back after 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Most of the property cheerleaders are those that benefit from high house prices and would not be able to afford the property they are currently living in if they were entering the market today. They are also the most vocal against property tax based on house prices.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Most of the property cheerleaders are those that benefit from high house prices and would not be able to afford the property they are currently living in if they were entering the market today. They are also the most vocal against property tax based on house prices.

Cheerleaders also make a past-time out of telling people who have better jobs, work harder and earn higher salaries that they ever did; that they're second class citizens.

Sure they're "only renting".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

It is a landlords market and being someone that likes living in Dublin and the demographic that people seem to be targeting as a the 'Should be able to afford live alone'. I currently apartment share with a college buddy in the IFSC, I can't afford to live there in a one bed or rent a two bed on my own. The option is house sharing or move out somewhere out of the city.

My monthly rent is roughly 34% of my net salary. I don't see how anyone could live comfortably in Dublin city on less than 30K p/a (Gross)

On the living along thing I think that one of the posters had it correct that the only people that I know of that are not house sharing are cohabiting with a partner. It's more of a social thing imo that it's better to be house sharing than living alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

ec18 wrote: »
    the only people that I know of that are living together are cohabiting with a partner.

Don't understand what you mean by this, could you rephrase?

It was always the case that single professionals house shared. There was no golden era where young professionals starting out could rent a single apartment themselves, well not without making huge sacrifices on other spending.
    The availability of RA for such arrangements (prior to the rent caps) may have skewed peoples expectations.

MouseTail wrote: »
    It was always the case that single professionals house shared. There was no golden era where young professionals starting out could rent a single apartment themselves, well not without making huge sacrifices on other spending.
    The availability of RA for such arrangements (prior to the rent caps) may have skewed peoples expectations.

When my dad came to Dublin first at 22, he rented an airy first floor flat on Leeson Street.

He was an entry level civil servant.

Bought his first house a few years later over a 20 year term. Upgraded few years after that. Upgraded again in the 90's. No lump sum from bank of mum and dad. Single income household.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Unanswerable question, I know, but how long are rents likely to continue rising? My rent has gone up by 20% each of the last 2 years and if it goes up next year again by a similar amount I will probably be forced out of Dublin city altogether.

Although house prices are still below boom prices surely rental prices in many parts of Dublin must be approaching all time highs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Unanswerable question, I know, but how long are rents likely to continue rising? My rent has gone up by 20% each of the last 2 years and if it goes up next year again by a similar amount I will probably be forced out of Dublin city altogether.

Although house prices are still below boom prices surely rental prices in many parts of Dublin must be approaching all time highs?

2014-Q2-rental-asking.png

We're at the prices of ten years ago. However, ten years ago they were still building apartments to feed the demand.

When my dad came to Dublin first at 22, he rented an airy first floor flat on Leeson Street.

He was an entry level civil servant.

Bought his first house a few years later over a 20 year term. Upgraded few years after that. Upgraded again in the 90's. No lump sum from bank of mum and dad. Single income household.

ok then, in the 70s, when there was a tiny professional class, soaring interest rates, no women in,the workforce it might have been possible. Since expansionary economics, a ballooning middle class, social and economic mobility and the widening of accessibility to third level it hasn't been.

Don't understand what you mean by this, could you rephrase?

apologies I meant to say that the only people who are not house sharing are co inhabiting with partners

2014-Q2-rental-asking.png

We're at the prices of ten years ago. However, ten years ago they were still building apartments to feed the demand.

interesting that the increase since January this year is only matched by 2007. Which would have been at the peak (more or less?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

ec18 wrote: »
    interesting that the increase since January this year is only matched by 2007. Which would have been at the peak (more or less?)

I don't think we can read across like that to infer any comparison. There are different factors in both years affecting the price. The property bubble in 2007 and the lack of supply this year as the biggest factors.

The other thing to note is that 6 percentage points in 2007 was a smaller percent of the total back then, and it was a different market where everyone was better off, in more secure jobs, expecting better pay, etc.

Advertisement