Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is my credit being affected from another country?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have been in ireland (and with AIB) for nearly 4 years now and at my current job for 2 years, yet when i applied for a visa click card online i was rejected.

I had a pretty big debt from my visa card in canada (where im from) but always kept in touch with my bank and made payments etc. for the last 2 years the payments have been steady and monthly, as agreed on by myself & the recovery program BUT im wondering if this could be the reason im not getting another visa card?

i was jobless here for a few months 2 yrs ago which really slowed me down but things have been on the ball since and i have a good job with a good salary and at the same address for the last 3 yrs as well, so wondering what the issue could be...

before anyone suggests i dont get another card while in debt, it's really for emergency like the 800 euro tooth i needed to have fixed last week!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have been in ireland (and with AIB) for nearly 4 years now and at my current job for 2 years, yet when i applied for a visa click card online i was rejected.

I had a pretty big debt from my visa card in canada (where im from) but always kept in touch with my bank and made payments etc. for the last 2 years the payments have been steady and monthly, as agreed on by myself & the recovery program BUT im wondering if this could be the reason im not getting another visa card?

i was jobless here for a few months 2 yrs ago which really slowed me down but things have been on the ball since and i have a good job with a good salary and at the same address for the last 3 yrs as well, so wondering what the issue could be...

before anyone suggests i dont get another card while in debt, it's really for emergency like the 800 euro tooth i needed to have fixed last week!

Unlikely another country is having an effect. There could be any number of reasons. Income. Lack of long term record. Prior unemployment. Bank's own lending criteria. People can only speculate here unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SBarrett

For mortgages, banks do look at people's credit rating in other countries if they do not have a sufficiently long record here. It may have been the same for your credit card application but I can't say for sure.

Steven

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

Doubtful it is because of the debt in Canada unless it's obvious from your bank account that you are sending a regular amount abroad, they might figure it out from that but highly unlikely to be from a credit check, otherwise it is one of the other reasons suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 todd david preston

I dont see why it would be any of those reason as i've been here for 4 years, pretty much always been working, at my current well paying job for 2 yrs and at my current address for 3 yrs. anyway i changed my mind about the whole thing anyway - dentist is taking installments thank christ

Advertisement