Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't know what to think anymore

• 22-09-2014 8:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭

For years, I've been convinced that the proper english name for the caman was 'Hurley' and I used to shout at the television/radio whenever someone used to call it a Hurl (in a good natured way, mostly)

However, this weekend I was out at a 40th birthday party in Cassidy's pub in Carron Co. Clare (The birthplace of Michael Cusack, the founder of the GAA) and they have newspaper clippings from the 1880s all around the bar including extracts from the original rules of the game and every time the caman was mentioned, it was called a Hurl.

My illusions have been firmly shattered. I don't know what to believe anymore. This could mean been a change to my personal identiy of biblical proportions

And by biblical i mean Old Testament, Boards.ie, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!, Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... the dead rising from the grave!, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!....

Does anyone have any information that could end this existential crisis and settle once and for all what the correct name for the caman actually is?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

why is it that Munster people get so worked up over having to call it a hurley? I've always called it a hurl, and anyone I know bar munster people call it a hurl. What difference what it is called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Just a regional thing. Although I also find 'hurl' grating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

bruschi wrote: »
    why is it that Munster people get so worked up over having to call it a hurley? I've always called it a hurl, and anyone I know bar munster people call it a hurl. What difference what it is called?

Imagine you're talking to someone who insists on calling a football a 'foo'

It's just a different word, so ultimately it doesn't matter, but it would definitely make that conversation a little bit unsettling

But I've woken up in a world where perhaps the correct word for football is actually 'foo' and I'm wrestling with the idea that maybe I've been wrong all these years. I just need even the tiniest little bit of evidence will allow me to cling to my prejudices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Akrasia wrote: »

And by biblical i mean Old Testament, Boards.ie, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!, Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... the dead rising from the grave!, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!....

You've watched Ghostbusters too many times!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

hallo dare wrote: »
    You've watched Ghostbusters too many times!!!!:D
    I didn't think that was possible :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Akrasia wrote: »
    I didn't think that was possible :)

Exactly!!!!!

Nice little run of 1+2 yesterday on Sky movies. Aw childhood joy!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Hurl=to vomit, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Lets face it- the entire sport was made up by 19th century nationalists in order to further their political agenda- it doesn't really matter what you call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

call it a stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Lets face it- the entire sport was made up by 19th century nationalists in order to further their political agenda- it doesn't really matter what you call it.

I heard it was to annoy people who run in a straight line and call it fun. It's still working.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

degsie wrote: »
    Hurl=to vomit, no?

Many words have 2 meanings.

Some people use Hurley as the noun and Hurl as a verb eg. that boy can hurl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

call it a stick

Some of the English lads on Twitter call it a bat. Can't blame them but :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

Kilkenny people call it a hurl, so its a hurl

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kkboy wrote: »
    Kilkenny people call it a hurl, so its a hurl

....in Kilkenny:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

You hurl with a Hurley in hurling :)

deise08 wrote: »

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Correct, and it's a band, not a hoop.

People calling bands hoops does my hoop in. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

bruschi wrote: »

Everyone in Clare that i know calls it a hurley, always thought hurl was a Leinster thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

In KK they hurl with a hurl!

In KK they hurl with a hurl!

Only cause its too confusing for them to use 2 different words....god love em!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I have always called it a hurl, and also as has been said here use it in the context "The boy can hurl".

I encountered people in west belfast who would call it a "Hurley baton" nothing to do with the sport mind you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Only cause its too confusing for them to use 2 different words....god love em!

We must be too busy using them to win all-irelands, rather than bickering over what they should be called :D

We must be too busy using them to win all-irelands, rather than bickering over what they should be called :D

Ye can call them what ye want if Tip beat ye Saturday!

Advertisement