Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longwood 10k & 5k road race

Options
  • 22-09-2014 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I see this race is coming up again on Sun 19th October. I did it last year and its a lovely course, mostly flat with a couple of little hills, very good course for PB. Starts at 11am this year, which is good time as leaves afternoon free. Registration is on precision timing or on the day. I see its also AAI permitted & Trim AC are co organisers this year.

Its on my doorstep so I'll definitely be there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Planning to do the 5km, will be my first time running in Longwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 meathrunner

5k is a lovely route along country lanes, with just a couple of small hills along the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Anybody have a link to the 10K route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Barry_run

Hi

All race details are on website

peterm7.com/longwood2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 47 meathrunner

Just registered this morning for this run and I believe it is filling up well. Tshirts for first 200 so don't miss out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anyone do this today? How did you get on? Ran the 5k myself, didn't quite hit my target but a good time for me nonetheless considering the tough wind from about 2.5k to 4k or so.

Great local race for the Meath folks among us, nice cuppa and sambos/cakes afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Did the 10k. Stiff enough wind played a part in me being a bit off my target but nabbed a top 10 finish nonetheless.

Very well organised race. Must say, I'm never disappointed when I do a road race in Meath - always a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Did the 10k. Stiff enough wind played a part in me being a bit off my target but nabbed a top 10 finish nonetheless.

Very well organised race. Must say, I'm never disappointed when I do a road race in Meath - always a great atmosphere.

^^^ what he said!

In fact pretty much exactly what he said :D although I just missed out on the top 10?

Were you in a Crusaders vest Paulie?

Anyone know where you can see the pics from this event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Peter Mooney would normally do must Meath races, try his Flickr albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

wrstan wrote: »

Peter mooneys Flickr acc...

• Advertisement

wrstan wrote: »
    ^^^ what he said!

In fact pretty much exactly what he said :D although I just missed out on the top 10?

Were you in a Crusaders vest Paulie?

That was me alright - the handsome fella with little or no hair ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

You were great company too Paulie, for first 6k anyway ;)
    It is run by my old GAA club of 20+ years ago and is my only road race of the year as I am a committed hill billy sort.
    I was delighted and more than surprised to get 6th and M40 prize - only because Declan Power won overall some considerable distance ahead of the rest of us admittedly :)

Great to see the great numbers at the event this year.

It is a nice course and very well organised by Barry, Vinny and lots of other local with guidance from the Mooney brothers and Trim AC folk

Excuseless wrote: »
    It is run by my old GAA club of 20+ years ago and is my only road race of the year as I am a committed hill billy sort.
    I was delighted and more than surprised to get 6th and M40 prize - only because Declan Power won overall some considerable distance ahead of the rest of us admittedly :)

Great to see the great numbers at the event this year.

It is a nice course and very well organised by Barry, Vinny and lots of other local with guidance from the Mooney brothers and Trim AC folk

Well done - I might have dug in a bit more had I known there was a prize at stake :P.

Thought I recognised you from the IMRA races/website alright - I've given the IMRA races a swerve this year since spraining my ankle in the Howth race at the start of the summer.

Nice to bump in to you - might see you on the mountains again soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Well done - I might have dug in a bit more had I known there was a prize at stake :P.

Thought I recognised you from the IMRA races/website alright - I've given the IMRA races a swerve this year since spraining my ankle in the Howth race at the start of the summer.

Nice to bump in to you - might see you on the mountains again soon.

For sure Paulie - In Reality we were just lucky some of the usual fast as f**k forty sumtins did not show.

Cu in the hills for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Did this race & enjoyed it despite the wind, definalty added a minute or 90 secs to my time. Only quibble I had was at the end, I didn't know how to pace for it, would have liked if it was marked in 500 meters, 400 metres etc as I couldn't see it to judge , only a small thing

From what I recall, there were 2 Crusaders fitting that description. :P
    Excuseless wrote: »

I parted company with you both around 6k too, just heading in the opposite direction to Excuseless :o - that was me in the Orange BR vest,

Any thoughts on what the impact of the conditions were on your overall time? Even taking the conditions into account I was pretty disappointed, crossing the line about 90 seconds later than I had hoped to.

I would definitely echo that this is a really well run race, with great support and hospitality, typical of Meath road races, even if Precision Timing did add 20 minutes to my time :mad:

PS. Well done on your prize!

We had a good little group going wrstan - it's a pity we didn't all stick for another couple of km.

I was a minute off target - reckon 30 seconds from conditions and 30 seconds from taking the foot off the gas a bit in training since the Longford Marathon.

My clubmate was c. 30 seconds off his target too.

Please God I'll be back to do the race again next year if it doesn't clash with any autumn marathon I might do.

Advertisement