Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission emptions when there is an old extension

Options
  • 22-09-2014 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi all

so the plan is to buy a house belonging to the family that has been lying idle for a few years and completely refurbish it. it is an end of terrace and in 1969/1970 the house was doubled in size. our architect is telling us that if we were to build a small extension(less than 40msq) at the back of house we probably wouldn't need planning permission.
    would we not need planning as there is already an extension? or does a certain amount of time pass where an existing extension is not considered an extension anymore? is my architect talking through his hat?:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Ring the councils planning office and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

I did and the girl I was talking to wasn't sure. so I have sent an email so hopefully someone there will be able to help.
    I thought someone here might have some personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html
    Building an extension to the rear of the house which does not increase the original floor area of the house by more than 40 square metres and is not higher than the house. The extension should not reduce the open space at the back of the house to less than 25 square metres which must be reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of your house. If your house has been extended before, the floor area of the extension you are now proposing and the floor area of any previous extension (including those for which you previously got planning permission) must not exceed 40 square metres. (There are also other height restrictions.)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Trix wrote: »
    would we not need planning as there is already an extension?
    The previous extension would pre-date the exemption rules.

Does the previous extension have planning? It might be useful to regularise the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If the original floor area is being increased by more than 40 Sq.m, you need planning. That includes the previous extension as it was after 1964 when planning legislation came into force.
    Even if the old extension had planning, it is still included in the 40 Sq.m.
    so for example if old extension was 30 sqm with or without planning, Any new extension over 10 sqm would need planning as long as original extension was after 1964.
    There is another major issue to consider also.
    If any proposed extension is less than 40 sqm, you can avoid the worst of the latest building control regulations which is a whole other conversation but those regs are set out differently to planning regs in that is the current extension size that matters for the 40 sqm not any previous extensions.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    If the original floor area is being increased by more than 40 Sq.m, you need planning. That includes the previous extension as it was after 1964 when planning legislation came into force.
    Even if the old extension had planning, it is still included in the 40 Sq.m.
    so for example if old extension was 30 sqm with or without planning, Any new extension over 10 sqm would need planning as long as original extension was after 1964.
    There is another major issue to consider also.
    If any proposed extension is less than 40 sqm, you can avoid the worst of the latest building control regulations which is a whole other conversation but those regs are set out differently to planning regs in that is the current extension size that matters for the 40 sqm not any previous extensions.
    ah 1964... our engineer thought it was 1968!!! the new extension will be less than 40sqm so hopefully, as you say, can avoid a lot of those regulations. thank you for your reply. that's made it clearer for me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Trix wrote: »
    ah 1964... our engineer thought it was 1968!!! the new extension will be less than 40sqm so hopefully, as you say, can avoid a lot of those regulations. thank you for your reply. that's made it clearer for me.

Add the existing extension msq to your proposed msq extension = ?

At the moment it sounds like planning is required

yes planning will be required. original extension was over 40sqm. my confusion was that the architect told us we probably wouldn't need planning so then I thought maybe the original was exempt as was so long ago. but the original extension(1969) was built after the exemption date. anyway was talking to architect yesterday and I think there was some crossed wires and he said yes, would need planning.

Advertisement