Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shower wire exposed

Options
  • 22-09-2014 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭

Guys, just a quick question. I have a landlord who sees himself as a handyman. He tries to fix everything himself. Our electric shower went bust a while ago, so he buys a new one and replaces it himself. Right now there is a hole at the top of the unit (he must have forgot to put the top cover on) and a snipped electric wire is exposed within the unit (which can be seen when I look through the hole on the top). He says it’s fine to use.... Obviously I'm not comfortable using it in its current state. I think it’s illegal for any electric device to be installed without qualifications, does anyone know if this is true for electric showers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Not good, ask him to have a electrician repair it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sounds dodgy and unsafe. I'd love to see a picture if can post one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Do not use that shower. Electricity and water are not good bed fellows get an electrician to look at it. Not sure on the regulation regards LL doing that kind of work but I'm sure someone will advise on that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would just like to echo the replies above.
    salmocab wrote: »
    Not sure on the regulation regards LL doing that kind of work

Since the 1st of October 2013 it has been illegal for a non-Registered Electrical Contractor to carry out most electrical work in domestic premises. As per the "Restricted Works Decision Paper" (published by the Commission of Energy Regulation) swapping out an electric shower unit falls under the defenition of “Minor electrical works”.

Minor electrical works do not have to be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC), they can be carried out by a "competent person".

However the OP's description strongly suggests that this work was not carried out by a competent person and that the shower is potentially lethal.

As above, do not use the shower.
    Insist on an inspection from a REC.

Advertisement