Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody recommend a dermatologist

Options
  • 22-09-2014 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Need to see a dermatologist around the City or County area. anybody used one that they would recommend. also, what kind of price do they typically charge. i seen one online that is 180 euro for first consultation. this seems really expensive. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

This thread from 3 years ago might be of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Afraid that's the going rate for consultant for first visit anyway ( BTW you may need to get a GP referral letter to make an appointment!)
    - I've been going to consultant dermatologist last 4 years ( in Dublin) first visit was at least 160 and all other visits 100 euro just for a check up and ensure no changes .

hopefully you have insurance to claim some of it back !

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dominoe39

thanks for that whatever76. they seem really expensive. got a shock when i seen the 180 tag ! at least now i know they are all charging around that.

yep "Consultants" certainly know how to charge - they might be slightly cheaper in Cork but I was not surprised and you seeing that price !!

yep "Consultants" certainly know how to charge - they might be slightly cheaper in Cork but I was not surprised at the price you saw

• Advertisement

In the thread which I linked Dr. Hilda O'Shea is described as a "GP with 'special interest' in dermatology" so she'd probably work out cheaper than a consultant dermatologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I've been to Dr Hilda (she's just across from Bons) and she is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

My GP finally wrote a referral for a dermatologist in Limerick, but that was 2weeks ago and I haven't heard anything. GP said they'd make first contact. Is 2 weeks a long time to be waiting for initial contact? Or what's the general time frame before they get back to you? I mean, I'm expecting to be put on a long waiting list, but shouldn't they contact you to tell you you're on it?

DeWitt wrote: »
    My GP finally wrote a referral for a dermatologist in Limerick, but that was 2weeks ago and I haven't heard anything. GP said they'd make first contact. Is 2 weeks a long time to be waiting for initial contact? Or what's the general time frame before they get back to you? I mean, I'm expecting to be put on a long waiting list, but shouldn't they contact you to tell you you're on it?
    Consultants can be very slow with their correspondence. If I recall correctly, the last time I was referred I had to wait a month before hearing anything and I had private medical insurance. You could always give your GP a call to see if they are any wiser regarding the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

DeWitt wrote: »

It all depends on the individual hospital, some don't send these letters out anymore due to postage costs. Why not ring the hospital and ask for either the dermatology section or Cental Appointments who will be able to confirm that they have received the letter and give you an idea how long the waiting list is.

Just bear in mind that sometimes with dermatology appointments are based on urgency rather than who's letter arrived first. For example a person who has a mole which has changed/grown etc get priority over someone who has a unexplained rash. However it would be well worth contact the hospital to confirm you are on the list just for your own piece of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Miaireland wrote: »
    It all depends on the individual hospital, some don't send these letters out anymore due to postage costs. Why not ring the hospital and ask for either the dermatology section or Cental Appointments who will be able to confirm that they have received the letter and give you an idea how long the waiting list is.

Just bear in mind that sometimes with dermatology appointments are based on urgency rather than who's letter arrived first. For example a person who has a mole which has changed/grown etc get priority over someone who has a unexplained rash. However it would be well worth contact the hospital to confirm you are on the list just for your own piece of mind.

Ah it hasn't resorted to that yet. Hospitals do send out letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I attended Dr Eileen O Leary in Grenagh Medical Centre before, she's a GP but with a dermatology speciality. Very impressed think it was about €40 at the time.

Consultants fee is usually atleast €100 all the way up to €200

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dominoe39

thanks all for the input. Dewitt - i called the dermatologist to follow up myself. i'd say you'd be waiting on them to come back otherwise and yep, they did ask the nature of the need for appt. say e.g. rash, lesion etc to determine urgency.

Advertisement