Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Trying To Educate People...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    And do you think that poor dog maybe associated that bad beating with someone running past her, and thus decided the next time someone did it, he/she'd try and scare them off before he/she got another slap? A dog is smart, but not smart enough to realise that the punishment was because she did something wrong rather than simple pain because of something that happened.

I actually didnt run by it, it ran from a good 100m to get at me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Christ that sounds horrible!

If someone jogs or cycles past my dogs they would lunge at them and possibly bite, that's why I don't wear headphones when walking the dogs and if there is a jogger or cyclist approaching I pull the dogs right in beside me and wait for the person to pass, I usually get a surprised 'thanks' or nod/smile from them as well!

Would always say thanks if some one makes the effort with their dog, but the jogger has to make the effort also by trying to go the other side if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

There is a guy who walks around our estate with a reactive husky on a choke chain. My own boy can be reactive but we work hard on it.

A while back I was walking down a lane and saw the other guy approaching so back tracked a bit, pulled my fella in and started doing sit, look etc. It was all going well, he was ignoring the other dog, focused on me until the other owner stopped to watch!!!! With his poor dog nearly hanging himself trying to get to my boy. Of course Harley's concentration didn't last long and it ended up with him pulling his dog away and me having to pull my boy. Since then when he spots the husky coming it's impossible to get his attention. Such a waste of a lot of training. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Whispered wrote: »
    There is a guy who walks around our estate with a reactive husky on a choke chain. My own boy can be reactive but we work hard on it.

A while back I was walking down a lane and saw the other guy approaching so back tracked a bit, pulled my fella in and started doing sit, look etc. It was all going well, he was ignoring the other dog, focused on me until the other owner stopped to watch!!!! With his poor dog nearly hanging himself trying to get to my boy. Of course Harley's concentration didn't last long and it ended up with him pulling his dog away and me having to pull my boy. Since then when he spots the husky coming it's impossible to get his attention. Such a waste of a lot of training. :(

I had the same problem with Shadow, he was soooo terrified of other dogs and was extremely reactive to the point of aggression when he saw another dog coming. I spent months when I lived in Dundalk walking him through parks with dogs and distracting him and he was almost completely desensitised when he happened across two terriers off-lead who attacked him. I got a bad scratch on the leg from lashing out to get them off him and the owner, who wasn't even holding leads said "What sort of knacker kicks a wee dog like that, and you should have a muzzle on that wild beast of yours!"
    Didn't even entertain her, seeing as last I checked, collies were not wild beasts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    that your average house-dog (springer, terrier, collie, lab) is way more likely to bite than any of the other dogs on the restricted list

TBH, i cant understand this at all?:o
    Surely it depends on the dog regardless of what breed they are? RB or not.
    I dont think it's a fair statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

TBH, i cant understand this at all?:o
    Surely it depends on the dog regardless of what breed they are? RB or not.
    I dont think it's a fair statement.

I'd say it does depend on the individual dog, whether they are more likely to bite but in the case of the RB's most people are extra careful because of the stigma attached.

It's another issue with having a restricted list - people who don't know better can be lulled into a false sense of security because the dog their child is currently with isn't on the "dangerous" list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Whispered wrote: »
    I'd say it does depend on the individual dog, whether they are more likely to bite but in the case of the RB's most people are extra careful because of the stigma attached.

It's another issue with having a restricted list - people who don't know better can be lulled into a false sense of security because the dog their child is currently with isn't on the "dangerous" list.

Totally get that. I just didn't think the statement was fair or fair to use in the situation whilst trying to educate people. Could completely have the opposite effect on people (non dog people).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Totally get that. I just didn't think the statement was fair or fair to use in the situation whilst trying to educate people. Could completely have the opposite effect on people (non dog people).

It was based on a study done in UCD Veterinary hospital based on reported dog bites in Ireland and what breeds were the culprits. Out of them all, only one restricted breed was on the list, a GSD. None of the more "ferocious" breeds featured in the study results. So factual, but I think the bigger problem is that people think that only breeds on the list have the potential to bite, and that any dog not on that list is fine to let off the lead, terrorise other dogs, chase cars/bicycles/joggers and get harassed by young children and toddlers.

I do feel it is necessary to point out because a lot of people think that is an exclusive list for specific dogs and that the danger doesn't apply to other breeds. The mentality that a dog is good with other dogs because it doesn't attack them on sight, or that they are good with kids because they lie there and take a slap/kick/tug/nip really needs to go. The average lab is probably just as likely to get fed up with that treatment as a rottie.

Again, not the intent to "frighten" people, but it annoys me even more when people go for a breed thinking that they'll be grand, when in reality they are equally likely to develop a distaste for other dogs or children.

Advertisement