Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sudden sleep regression (13months)

Options
  • 22-09-2014 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation....

My little fella was a terrible sleeper until he hit six months, we started on the EASY routine and followed it like nazis and he turned into a great sleeper, went a full 12 hours and was able to resettle himself if he woke during the night.

All of a sudden he just will not go to sleep by himself, myself or his dad has to be in the room, we dont need to be touching him or singing to him, he just needs to know we're there, and if we try to leave the room he gets very very upset. I dont mind waiting with him until he falls asleep (it doesn't take long) but now he has started to wake during the night and cant self soothe.

He had his 12 month injections two weeks ago and this behaviour started last week so I thought they might be connected somehow. During daytime he has definitely gotten more clingy but I drop him off at childcare every morning and he is very happy, he barely says goodbye to me , so I dont think there's any issue there.

I really dont want to let him cry it out because he works himself into such a state and I want him to have positive bedtime associations. Anybody have any similar experiences? I'm hoping it's just a phase that will run it's course.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sounds like a separation anxiety phase. They all go through this at some stage... they cry when you leave the room or go out of sight. Wait it out is all I can suggest. Keep reassuring him, and it should pass itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I hear you! Our little lady was a fab sleeper up until around a couple of months ago - she now pretty much regularly wakes around 2/3 times a night to the point we have to bring her into the bed as we both work and it's just too exhausting. (She's almost 1) She'll sleep no bother there!
    Same as you putting her down at night - SCREAMS if we leave the room. A lot of that's our own fault because we completely spoiled her by lying with her on the bed until she actually fell asleep, then transferred her to the cot. So the last 2 weeks we've been leaving her in her cot awake, go into her and comfort her every few minutes, and eventually she goes off. The screaming is hard to hear though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I hear you! Our little lady was a fab sleeper up until around a couple of months ago - she now pretty much regularly wakes around 2/3 times a night to the point we have to bring her into the bed as we both work and it's just too exhausting. (She's almost 1) She'll sleep no bother there!
    (

Out little fella wouldn't sleep in our bed if we wanted him to, he's very independent and wants his own space. It's so strange, he'll scream blue murder and the minute I walk into the room he plonks his head down and goes to sleep, has no interest in being comforted or anything, literally just wants the reassurance that I'm beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

My daughter went through these sleep regression phases every few months up until she was about 18-24 months. I can't remember exactly when, it's already a distant memory. Shes never been a great sleeper but she would become more unsettled and wake more for maybe a week and then go back to normal. There is a book called The Wonder Weeks which links these phases to developmental growth spurts if you want to read more into it.

I'm jealous of your little sleeper! My daughter will be 3 in December and still doesn't sleep a full 12 hours without waking :(

Advertisement