Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Lid marks

• 22-09-2014 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what could have made these marks on my lid? It's a matt finished Shoei Quest. :confused:

It's stored safely every night and I don't ride under low hanging trees.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd be getting that checked out, that looks serious enough.
    Its like its been flexed hard enough to break the paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

MargeS wrote: »
    Anyone know what could have made these marks on my lid? It's a matt finished Shoei Quest. :confused:

Odd.
    Are they scratches that you can feel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

maybe a zip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

spiders web.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Synchronised snails?!

AH no, the marks seem very uniform which is odd. I know my old matt black box helmet picked up marks quite easily but those marks seem weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

You're saying its stored safely at night but where exactly ??

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

KTRIC wrote: »
    You're saying its stored safely at night but where exactly ??

With his 20 pet cats :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

No these are not scratches you can feel and it's stored on a 6 foot high shelf in a press with a door.

(If I had 20 cats..... I would not be returning home :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

A hot(ish) press? Could it be heat related?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

M450 wrote: »
    A hot(ish) press? Could it be heat related?

My missus has some experience with paint and that's the first thing she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

As I said earlier it looks like a spiders web

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

What do you use to clean it? looks similar to what a solvent based cleaning agent would do to some paints.

There is no other evidence of spiders in the press. I use kitchen towel and water to clean it and the visor. The utility gets as warm as 15-20 I'd say when the boiler is running. And the lid is stored at the opposite end of the room to the boiler.
    I might try being more abrasive cleaning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There is no other evidence of spiders in the press. I use kitchen towel and water to clean it and the visor. The utility gets as warm as 15-20 I'd say when the boiler is running. And the lid is stored at the opposite end of the room to the boiler.
    I might try being more abrasive cleaning it.

I wouldn't be getting anything abrasive to the lid, get it looked at first in case you cover up some damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

if its a matt lid, Im afraid being more abrasive will just end up polishing it, and you'll wind up with shiny patches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

As mentioned already, that definitly looks like a spiders web...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

looks like crasing caused by either a reaction between the base layer and the top layer coatings, or as said, heat.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=paint+crazing&client=firefox-a&hs=AOo&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=sngsVOODN6K07QbnsoCABw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=528

could be a manufacturing fault, so i wouldnt touch it before having a pro look at it.

Just a follow up on this....
    The marks did come out, but it took several attempts.

I also think that those who suggested spider webs are probably right. The shed the bike is kept in, regularly has webs across the entrance corners. I have to duck my head to get in and I suspect that the webs get caught on my lid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Right well the first thing to do here is burn that shed to the ground.
    Its the only way to be sure you killed all the spiders.

After that just have a cuppa tea and relax knowing the ****ers are dead and your lid is grand :D

I actually dreamt about going in there with a flame thrower. I've never seen spiders so big.
    But then I thought... that's what husbands are for. So I'm sending him in... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

2ECA215A6981468899954D972EF85286-0000357485-0003684226-00480L-FC7C841A4E064628BEC26EFE2958C9B9.jpg

Advertisement