Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying at Dublin Business School?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 10:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Studying at Dublin Business School?
    Hi,

Just didn't see a thread on this, curious as to where I might get info.

DBS, what's it's reputation?
    Are its qualifications as recognized as a University by example?

Possibly doing a conversion course in the area of IT in this next year, and am interested in getting a feel for what DBS is like.

Perhaps someone is in the know or can point me in the suitable direction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I genuinely can't speak for others, my experience is that it's regarded as a rich parents university. Like people I went to school with who ****** the Leaving who had rich parents went there.

I'm sure it's a wonderful place, that's just the reputation that I'm aware it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I did my degree there, BA (Hons) Business Information Systems. I studied part time though so I was only there twice a week in the evening after work and can't really say anything about student life etc. The degree is awarded by Liverpool John Moores University, so it's a proper university degree. You need to check that for the specific course you want to do though, not all of their degree courses are awarded by LJMU I think.

I've never heard of it being regarded as a rich parents university and the place doesn't really feel like that at all. I was very rarely in there during the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 boogiewonder

For what it's worth I did an 'Advanced diploma in web development' in the DBS last year. Granted, I already know quite a few web dev tricks but that's why I chose 'advanced'. It was a bad investment. For €1500 I could have bought a lot of online courses or paid a web developer to sit beside me and teach me what I needed to know.
    There were maybe 3-4 classes where I got some benefit. One entire class was based around correcting people's work. 3 or more classes should have been home-work for us and not class material.
    I wouldn't recommend that particular course at all, and I wouldn't chance it on another course with them purely for this. It's too much money to throw away.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭GerPower

For what it's worth I did an 'Advanced diploma in web development' in the DBS last year. Granted, I already know quite a few web dev tricks but that's why I chose 'advanced'. It was a bad investment. For €1500 I could have bought a lot of online courses or paid a web developer to sit beside me and teach me what I needed to know.
    There were maybe 3-4 classes where I got some benefit. One entire class was based around correcting people's work. 3 or more classes should have been home-work for us and not class material.
    I wouldn't recommend that particular course at all, and I wouldn't chance it on another course with them purely for this. It's too much money to throw away.

I pretty much agree with you i did something similar and was even more disillusioned more time go over the same thing rather than showing you anything worthwhile but thank god for Udemy where you actually get to keep the course for life after purchase.

Advertisement