Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning 12 month old from breast. HELP!

Options
  • 22-09-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi everyone :thumbsup:

I have a 12 month old son who i have breastfed since day 1 exclusively.
    He was late to start solids as he was just not interested, he has been having his 3 meals a day since he was 10 months.
    He is VERY picky and only likes certain foods, they all have to be purrees as he cannot handle any lumps or biscuits as he has a really sensitive gag reflex.
    He has never took a bottle, never interested in it, and i have tried a few times since he was born, he drinks a small amount of water from a sippy cup when he eats his food but not much. I have also tried different brands of both.

I dont mind to go a bit longer with the breastfeeding but I found out I have gallstones and will need to book surgery soon to get my gallbladder removed.

The problem is he wont take a bottle, I have tried everything, different bottles, sippy cups.... leaving him for a few hours with his dad and a bottle of expressed milk... letting him be hungry for a while... offering cows milk... he wont take anything and just keeps refusing and waiting (all day if he has to) until i give in

I may be able to resume breastfeeding after surgery but i am likely to stay in hospital for at least a night, so he will need to start taking milk from a sippy... Plus it would be nice to be able to go out alone for more that 4 hours.

He is just not interested at all and only wants breast...

He is such a fussy baby, particular about everything... so headstrong... he sleeps with me since day one as well, wont sleep in a cot, i have tried several times including the cry it out method but he never gives in even after an hour and its heartbreaking for me to see him cry...

I never had any of these issues with my first born, she slept in her cot, took a bottle and ate food properly

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

A friend of mine had the same kind of issue with her 2 year old. She was only soothing on her boob and just kept her milk supply going. She tried everything possible but resorted to staying with another friend for 3 nights while her milk dried up. Without the boob readily available the kid took everything from dad, drank from sippy cup etc, not a bother on her really. Mum went home and after a bit of crying cos no milk left , the child just gave up and was fine after about a day.

I know the above child was a little older and a better eater and that but she found he only way was to let her milk dry up. Maybe the night or 2 away in hospital would be the right time to do it? Ie actually not being at all available to come home?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Dmighty

yes maybe you are right :) I will have to try and get him to eat better :) thanks

Advertisement