Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make a good stuffing?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Have tried brown-bread, butter, salt, pepper, herbs, was ok but not great, how can make it better? I'm a vegetarian but still like a good stuffing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What I do is soften a finely chopped onion in some butter, add the bread crumbs, tyme, parsley, salt and black pepper. In our house we love some crushed peanuts in it too.

We always make a few stuffed ham rolls by getting sliced ham from a packet and stuff it with the stuffing. Bake the whole lot in the oven until nice and brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Try adding in raisins, chopped up dried apricots

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Have tried brown-bread, butter, salt, pepper, herbs, was ok but not great, how can make it better? I'm a vegetarian but still like a good stuffing.

Depends a bit... what are you having it with?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like to add chopped mushrooms to mine sometimes. You can't be mean with the herbs or it'll taste quite bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I like to put the juice of a lemon and lemon zest in mine in addition to wholemeal breadcrumbs, softened onion, LOTS of mixed herbs or thyme and oregano if I haven't got any others, salt, pepper and butter.

You can also add dried cranberries instead of the lemon, that is a lush stuffing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Chopped pistachio, sage, and diced dried apricot

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Lots of onions, half brown/half white breadcrumbs, loads of fresh parsley, obscene amounts of butter and/or olive oil (oil gives a nice texture, butter has the taste factor though!) and more salt and pepper than you think. Fry it all for ages, then use it to stuff the turkey or to make stuffing balls, thereby double cooking it. Best part of Christmas in our house!

My old school used to add grated carrots, which were surprisingly nice and gave it a bit of crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

What I do is soften a finely chopped onion in some butter, add the bread crumbs, tyme, parsley, salt and black pepper. .

The only way to cook it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Semele wrote: »
    Lots of onions, half brown/half white breadcrumbs, loads of fresh parsley, obscene amounts of butter and/or olive oil (oil gives a nice texture, butter has the taste factor though!) and more salt and pepper than you think. Fry it all for ages, then use it to stuff the turkey or to make stuffing balls, thereby double cooking it. Best part of Christmas in our house!

I do something similar and then reduce some cider in the mix so that after it's been through the oven it's not bone dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Must have fresh sage. You just have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Ingredients:
    2 slices brown bread, blitzed into crumbs
    2 jumbo sausages, skin removed
    4 dried apricots,chopped
    A handful of dried cranberries, chopped
    Knob of melted butter
    Dried shallots (just because I had them and I was too lazy to soften up some onions/shallots in a pan)

To taste:
    Salt
    Pepper
    Fresh sage (dried if you don't have fresh)
    Pinch of cinnamon
    Pinch of nutmeg
    Ground Allspice - about half a teaspoon. This gives it a really nice 'white pudding' taste.

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, making sure they're thoroughly combined. Divide the mixture into balls, push into a mini-muffin tray and cook at 180 for about 25 minutes.

I've also done stuffing in a bread tin before - some streaky bacon draped across the top helps keep it moist.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Ingredients:
    2 slices brown bread, blitzed into crumbs
    2 jumbo sausages, skin removed
    4 dried apricots,chopped
    A handful of dried cranberries, chopped
    Knob of melted butter
    Dried shallots (just because I had them and I was too lazy to soften up some onions/shallots in a pan)

To taste:
    Salt
    Pepper
    Fresh sage (dried if you don't have fresh)
    Pinch of cinnamon
    Pinch of nutmeg
    Ground Allspice - about half a teaspoon. This gives it a really nice 'white pudding' taste.

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, making sure they're thoroughly combined. Divide the mixture into balls, push into a mini-muffin tray and cook at 180 for about 25 minutes.

I've also done stuffing in a bread tin before - some streaky bacon draped across the top helps keep it moist.

F.

That's a lovely recipe, but OP is vegetarian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Good breadcrumbs, ciabatta or sourdough - something that will not turn to dust.
    Finely chopped onion cooked in loads of butter until soft and golden.
    Plenty of finely sliced fresh sage, a little parsley and a little thyme.
    Salt, pepper and the rind of a lemon taken using a microplane grater.
    The buttery onions should be enough to coat the breadcrumbs and herbs in the oily deliciousness.

If I was vegetarian and not cramming the stuffing into the cavity of a bird, I think i might try cooking the stuffing en papillote - i.e. in a greased parcel sealed up tight and cooked in the oven. The idea being that the steam from the stuffing cooks it, like it would inside the bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian but still like a good stuffing.

Same as my wife.

Advertisement