Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10k training with 3 runs a week?

• 22-09-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi signed up to a 10k in November. I have completed from 5k to a marathon in the past (albeit slowly!) however I had a baby a few months ago so I starting back from scratch. I'm back up to 5k distances but I'd like to follow a training plan for the 10k to keep me motivated. I used to use the Hal Higdon training plans but with a young baby I can only commit to 3 runs a week. Any plans I've come across have a min 5 days a week so I'm not sure which runs I should cut out. Would anyone have any suggestions of what way to get the maximum out of three runs a week. I'm not looking to break any records - just want to get the most out of the time I have for running.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I would suggest one long slow run, a speed session, and one other run of medium distance with at least some tempo work in it.

The long run is crucial I think. This should be very easy pace. I don't know your background, but for 10k distance try and get this to 75 minutes, maybe 90 (longer term). A 45/50 minute run during the week with perhaps 15 mins of tempo (when you're good and warmed up) would be useful too. The tempo component could be increased to 30 minutes, but very gradually.

I find a regular speed session to be invaluable. Something like 10*400m with a good warm up and good cool down. Maybe 6*800m either, or 600s, 300s, to mix it up. Most folks here would suggest that speed should only be introduced once a good base in in place. So maybe a month or two of easy running (instead of speed session) might help. I would be interested to hear what others say.

Hmm, actually, just re-read your post saying you hope to race in November. In that case I would prioritise easy miles in the meantime, time spent on your feet, and building up your aerobic base once again. Well done on getting back out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Basster wrote: »
    I would suggest one long slow run, a speed session, and one other run of medium distance with at least some tempo work in it.

The long run is crucial I think. This should be very easy pace. I don't know your background, but for 10k distance try and get this to 75 minutes, maybe 90 (longer term). A 45/50 minute run during the week with perhaps 15 mins of tempo (when you're good and warmed up) would be useful too. The tempo component could be increased to 30 minutes, but very gradually.

I find a regular speed session to be invaluable. Something like 10*400m with a good warm up and good cool down. Maybe 6*800m either, or 600s, 300s, to mix it up. Most folks here would suggest that speed should only be introduced once a good base in in place. So maybe a month or two of easy running (instead of speed session) might help. I would be interested to hear what others say.

Hmm, actually, just re-read your post saying you hope to race in November. In that case I would prioritise easy miles in the meantime, time spent on your feet, and building up your aerobic base once again. Well done on getting back out there!

Thanks for that. I'm happy to do long runs. When you say build up to 90mins, should I focus on time rather than distance? And in what kind of increments should I increase the time every week? I'm only back up to about 40mins at the moment?

The 10k isn't an end point at all, just there for motivation. I'm just used to picking a race and training for it but I don't think that will suit my life at the moment so I was confused about how to approach training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I would focus on time. That would be the most common approach for long runs. 10% increments (at most) would be considered OK. And 40 minutes is fine, it's a grand base to be starting from. Get you re: 10k goal, it's important to have targets!
    Edit: just to emphasise the long runs should be easy, conversational pace. You've done a marathon so you know the gist..

Great, thanks for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

My wife has just gone back running after baby 3 months ago now. She went out last night and did 4k or so. I got here a heart rate monitor and just ask her what number she is at. After a few times I realize that her going under 140 then she enjoys it and does not come home looking like she is going to pass out. Most important thing is that she will keep it up (she introduced me to running after a 15 year break). Speed sessions etc tbh are pointless at this stage. Just do what you enjoy but don't over do it. Rome was not built in a day. Going slower than you are able to is actually going to make you faster then going hard every day. I know it makes no sense but the training for olympic marathon runners about 100 years ago was 3 fast runs a week of about 10k and 3 walks of 30+k.

10x400 etc will turn you off the sport at this stage. If you are doing it for health and enjoyment just slow down a tad to a pace that you enjoy and over a few weeks/months you will get faster at the same effort level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

OP - go to myasics.com and create yourself a 10k plan tailored to suit you. It is a great utility imho, done my first 10k, 10mile and half marathon using it.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to concentrate in getting the miles in at slow pace for now, maybe look at speed work early next year as I'm not sure my sleep deprived self can cope with that yet!!

Advertisement