Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are The City Council at ????

Options
  • 22-09-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,031 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed these signs on Pope's Quay last week.

5fKZc5.jpg

What are they all about??
    How should one consider mass goers when parking ??
    It's a genuine question. What are they suggesting people do - park elsewhere??
    I'm baffled as to the thinking behind these signs.

But on another note, why is council money being spent to attempt to facilitate what is a pretty small section of the population of the city ??
    Should people not always consider all other road and footpath users when parking??

The ironic thing is that, in my observation as a local resident, many, many of the mass goers have no consideration for any parking rules and regulations or other road users whatsoever! They park in cycle lanes, on double yellow lines and even in the middle of the road with abandon, safe in the knowledge that no sanctions will be taken against them. Why? Because they are "mass goers" !

It would seem that there is a strong Catholic agenda in the Cork City Council.
    Are people ok with this?
    Should the City Council not be religiously neutral when it comes to parking signs, regulations and enforcement??
    (as they should be in all their public dealings)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well, the reverse parking thing just makes sense. Point for escape, everyone should do that anyway. :D

The mass times thing is just a courtesy note surely? As in, it's gonna be busy around then lads, so don't be leaning on the horn while some doddery old wan takes her time parking. Or kids so eager to escape mass they bolt out onto the road!

Similar signs around schools - "Caution - School ahead"

Similar sign around the protestant church here afaik, with times of activity noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Ah here now, after nearly 6 and a half years and 5300+ posts you've surely come to realise how irritating large images are. You've shown about as much consideration as those rule and regulation flouting mass goers you've mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Do you have a bigger picture by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Why would the council care about this ?!
    They don't seem to care about people parking on double yellows or in bike parking zones (when they aren't driving a bike obviously)....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps the OP Social justice warrior should be glad the council is being proactive over a minor matter instead of 'discovering' an issue and proclaiming the evils therein that correspond to their own social agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Manach wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP Social justice warrior should be glad the council is being proactive over a minor matter instead of 'discovering' an issue and proclaiming the evils therein that correspond to their own social agenda.
    Just showed that to a friend, thought it would look excellent over their fireplace. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

pwurple wrote: »
    The mass times thing is just a courtesy note surely? As in, it's gonna be busy around then lads, so don't be leaning on the horn while some doddery old wan takes her time parking. Or kids so eager to escape mass they bolt out onto the road!
    I read it more as a warning, if you park there during those times then chances are somebody will double park outside you and block you in. It would be nice if parking rules were enforced outside of the normal council hours, because that area is especially bad for people parking incorrectly, but it is only sometimes the church going crowds fault as it happens outside those hours regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i saw another one around the city today asking drivers to be mindful of cyclists,

i think they are "Friendly tips" to motorists around the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

There just thinking of new ways to stop motorist going into town,and I think there plan is working, popes quay and Washington street would pi** anyone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

They're taking away about 70% of the parking on Lower Glanmire road for a cycling lane too, but their plan is to put up some signs about mass goers, and also a few signs about considering the businesses around there when parking. So all will be well.

I love sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Are the council getting rid of the filter lane to turn left from Penrose Quay across Michael Collins bridge. If so, traffic will be backed up past silversprings each and every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

To discouarge pagans taking the parking spaces of 'the faithful'.

Probably some pensioner wrote a strongly worded letter to the Council about the need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Probably some pensioner wrote a strongly worded letter to the Council about the need for it.

I think some one needs to send a letter to the church asking their customers to stop parking in the cycle lane on Mulgrave Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Probably to this guy judging from his article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Probably to this guy judging from his article.

Any politician coming out against cycle lanes is going to be mighty popular imo.
    I think these cycle lanes will push more shoppers out of the city than any of the out of town shopping centers have ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

54kroc wrote: »
    Any politician coming out against cycle lanes is going to be mighty popular imo.
    I'd put a large part of the blame on people like him to begin with. He effectively admits that councillors, (and I assume the letters before his name indicate he is one) passed the proposals without examining them, surely the entire point of his job. Voted on them blindly and then decries the fact that "democracy" doesn't allow him to change his vote now that the money has been spent. I wonder what we are paying these people for?

Advertisement