Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Recommended Supplements before IVF?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi
    Has anyone any recommended supplements for men & women before starting ICSI?
    Would acupuncture be of benefit? I rang an acupuncturist and they recommended 6 sessions.
    Any tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Some people swear by acupuncture, if it's your thing go for it.
    If you're not already start taking folic acid. You can get general multiple vitamins for TCC, that will have everything you need.
    Don't take anything that has large dosage of vitamin A.
    Try and increase your protein intake as this is important for egg growth and quality.
    You are going to come across conflicting information about every aspect of IVF. The best advice I ever got was just do what you know you won't regret after.

We had ICSI also and my boyfriend just took the wellman vitamin and upped his protein intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭cinloom

Hi did you guys doing IVF here in Ireland or abroad. Sorry for being so curious. At the moment i enquire for doing IVF but not sure if we will do abroad or here due to the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bvon

Some people swear by acupuncture, if it's your thing go for it.
    If you're not already start taking folic acid. You can get general multiple vitamins for TCC, that will have everything you need.
    Don't take anything that has large dosage of vitamin A.
    Try and increase your protein intake as this is important for egg growth and quality.
    You are going to come across conflicting information about every aspect of IVF. The best advice I ever got was just do what you know you won't regret after.

We had ICSI also and my boyfriend just took the wellman vitamin and upped his protein intake.

Ive never had accupuncture, just read about it. Im just trying to do everything i can. I have a fertility supplement which contains folic acid that im taking. I called into a supplement shop, he recommended Q10 but it cost €85 i said ill think about it. The costs are adding up.
    Ill up the protein some more.
    Thank you

cinloom wrote: »
    Hi did you guys doing IVF here in Ireland or abroad. Sorry for being so curious. At the moment i enquire for doing IVF but not sure if we will do abroad or here due to the cost

Hi, we are begining treatment here in Ireland. We thought about going abroad but i felt it over whelming when this is all new to us. The costs for travelling and time off work is worth taking into account too.
    Have you visited any clinics yet?

Bvon wrote: »
    Hi, we are begining treatment here in Ireland. We thought about going abroad but i felt it over whelming when this is all new to us. The costs for travelling and time off work is worth taking into account too.
    Have you visited any clinics yet?

no we havent visit any clinic yet. I am just starting to check prices abroad and here

I am followed by a fertility doc in dublin so still trying with clomid and try for the first time the injection trigger .

• Advertisement

no we havent visit any clinic yet. I am just starting to check prices abroad and here

I am followed by a fertility doc in dublin so still trying with clomid and try for the first time the injection trigger .

We were refferred to Rotunda by our local hospital. ICSI was recommended for us. Hopefully when I start treatment we wont have to travel to Dublin too much.
    Hopefully the clomid will work for you, we didn't have that option. How are you gettion on with the injections, im terrified of injections - I need to brave it up 😊

We were refferred to Rotunda by our local hospital. ICSI was recommended for us. Hopefully when I start treatment we wont have to travel to Dublin too much.
    Hopefully the clomid will work for you, we didn't have that option. How are you gettion on with the injections, im terrified of injections - I need to brave it up 😊

It was only one injection so it was not too bad . I though my husband would do it for me but he was to worry to hurt me. so I just had to brave up :-)
    I could have take an easy way as doc told me that if i chicken out i could have gone to the emergency room in her hospital with the medecine and they would have done it
    Good luck for the IVF
    Did you have to wait long before the IVF process ?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

My FS recommends CoQ10 300mg, Vit D, Vit E, Multi with folic acid and inositol for women. And prescribes melatonin 4mg as a potent anti oxidant.
    Men are recommended to take CoQ10, Vitamin D, a multi & consdider Pycnogenol if morphology is an issue.
    If you shop online, you can get vitamins at quite good prices from iherb.com, it's in the US.

Acupuncture is specifically recommended before and after transfer and most places encourage weekly sessions

It was only one injection so it was not too bad . I though my husband would do it for me but he was to worry to hurt me. so I just had to brave up :-)
    I could have take an easy way as doc told me that if i chicken out i could have gone to the emergency room in her hospital with the medecine and they would have done it
    Good luck for the IVF
    Did you have to wait long before the IVF process ?

Ill order from iherb in the morning. Are all those supplements separate? Thank you so much, himself said he'll inject me he doesn't mind. Im just terrified no matter who does it. Is the injection like a pen?
    We've know our outcome with ivf about 2 years now but haven't begun due to financial hardship. I feel so bad that that much time has past as it is constantly on our minds.
    My trouble at the moment is we have our meeting in Dublin for next month and we have to bring up to date records and i can only get a date for his semen analysis for the following day. Im so down over this, I hope it won't delay a start for us. Usually its the following month they start you.

My FS recommends CoQ10 300mg, Vit D, Vit E, Multi with folic acid and inositol for women. And prescribes melatonin 4mg as a potent anti oxidant.
    Men are recommended to take CoQ10, Vitamin D, a multi & consdider Pycnogenol if morphology is an issue.
    If you shop online, you can get vitamins at quite good prices from iherb.com, it's in the US.

Acupuncture is specifically recommended before and after transfer and most places encourage weekly sessions

Oh & how do people manage to get the acupuncture before and after transfer? Do the clinic have in house acupuncturists?

• Advertisement

Oh & how do people manage to get the acupuncture before and after transfer? Do the clinic have in house acupuncturists?

Ill order from iherb in the morning. Are all those supplements separate? Thank you so much, himself said he'll inject me he doesn't mind. Im just terrified no matter who does it. Is the injection like a pen?
    We've know our outcome with ivf about 2 years now but haven't begun due to financial hardship. I feel so bad that that much time has past as it is constantly on our minds.
    My trouble at the moment is we have our meeting in Dublin for next month and we have to bring up to date records and i can only get a date for his semen analysis for the following day. Im so down over this, I hope it won't delay a start for us. Usually its the following month they start you.

the injection is normal needle not a pen. for me i guess i will see how it goes for the next two months then will decide for IVF.
    Good luck :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

The HARI unit is top notch, ICSI or assisted hatching is the way to go. You're in good hands & best of luck

the injection is normal needle not a pen. for me i guess i will see how it goes for the next two months then will decide for IVF.
    Good luck :-)

Ill just have to think of the bigger picture and put up with it.
    I spent alot of time scared of going down this route but now that I've an appointment it feels like a weight lifted off our shoulders.
    Best of luck...

The clinic I now attend has separate acupuncture clinic upstairs. Previously, I have gone to acupuncture within a 2 hour window of transfer but it is a pain if you're in a city, traffic etc. The closer you can get it to clinic, the better off you'll be as you want everything on that day to be stress free.

Needle wise, most of the injections are in pen form so are quite user friendly. You turn to dose and just push the top. Your nurse should go through their use with you, they may even provide a DVD showing you how to use. I've used them all; the only one that is fiddly is Pregnyl but you'll find most clinics use Ovitrelle for trigger. Puregon and Gonal-F have very narrow gauge needle, Ovitrelle is about the same I think. Orgalutran is a bit bigger and leaves a sting afterwards. Elonva is bit bigger also and it's got a spring loaded retractable needle so it shoots back in after use. Pregnyl is both fiddly and stingy.

Your first go will be the most stressful. I wouldn't trust my husband to jab me.
    Honestly it is easy. Grab a piece of skin below your navel or either side on your abdomen, squeeze between thumb and forefinger, put needle in your skin at 90 degree angle, release your thumb and finger and inject the dose, count to 5 and gently remove needle.

The clinic I now attend has separate acupuncture clinic upstairs. Previously, I have gone to acupuncture within a 2 hour window of transfer but it is a pain if you're in a city, traffic etc. The closer you can get it to clinic, the better off you'll be as you want everything on that day to be stress free.

Needle wise, most of the injections are in pen form so are quite user friendly. You turn to dose and just push the top. Your nurse should go through their use with you, they may even provide a DVD showing you how to use. I've used them all; the only one that is fiddly is Pregnyl but you'll find most clinics use Ovitrelle for trigger. Puregon and Gonal-F have very narrow gauge needle, Ovitrelle is about the same I think. Orgalutran is a bit bigger and leaves a sting afterwards. Elonva is bit bigger also and it's got a spring loaded retractable needle so it shoots back in after use. Pregnyl is both fiddly and stingy.

Your first go will be the most stressful. I wouldn't trust my husband to jab me.
    Honestly it is easy. Grab a piece of skin below your navel or either side on your abdomen, squeeze between thumb and forefinger, put needle in your skin at 90 degree angle, release your thumb and finger and inject the dose, count to 5 and gently remove needle.

Hi Cooperspale
    I'll enquire with clinic when we are up there. It would be so handy if there was one in the clinic or nearby. We'll be travelling by train & taxi - less stressfull.
    The injection doesnt sound so bad when you say it like that, grabbing between thumb and forefinger. I need to stop thinking about it.
    I get my bloods tested every three months and i still can't get used to it.
    Is there a certain time of the day they advise to inject?
    I think ill buy one of Zita Wests books, help explain the process simply for me. Its like as if i get stage fright in the clinic

Hi Cooperspale
    I'll enquire with clinic when we are up there. It would be so handy if there was one in the clinic or nearby. We'll be travelling by train & taxi - less stressfull.
    The injection doesnt sound so bad when you say it like that, grabbing between thumb and forefinger. I need to stop thinking about it.
    I get my bloods tested every three months and i still can't get used to it.
    Is there a certain time of the day they advise to inject?
    I think ill buy one of Zita Wests books, help explain the process simply for me. Its like as if i get stage fright in the clinic

It's generally night time for stimms like Puregon/Gonal-F, at a time you can commit to. Morning for Orgalutran. Elonva is a once off in the evening. Ovitrelle trigger is 36hours before egg pick up.
    Yes, Zita West's books are informative and pretty good. There are CDs also for visualization but it can all become a bit of a money pit to be honest.

It's generally night time for stimms like Puregon/Gonal-F, at a time you can commit to. Morning for Orgalutran. Elonva is a once off in the evening. Ovitrelle trigger is 36hours before egg pick up.
    Yes, Zita West's books are informative and pretty good. There are CDs also for visualization but it can all become a bit of a money pit to be honest.
    Hopefully when i do it the first time it'll be grand.
    I managed to get 2 books 2nd hand.
    A health shop was swearing by benefits of CoQ10 200mg, i dont know weather to get it for himself it's €85

Hopefully when i do it the first time it'll be grand.
    I managed to get 2 books 2nd hand.
    A health shop was swearing by benefits of CoQ10 200mg, i dont know weather to get it for himself it's €85
    iHerb $15usd for 120x 100g, $20usd for 60x 200mg

iHerb $15usd for 120x 100g, $20usd for 60x 200mg

Omg thats brillant . The one they said is called Beyond CoQ10 200mg Ubiquinol . Would you say they'd be the same?

• Advertisement

Omg thats brillant . The one they said is called Beyond CoQ10 200mg Ubiquinol . Would you say they'd be the same?
    Yes there's only the one type of CoQ10. There are many brands of it on iHerb. Doctors Best has great reviews. Shipping is $8.95 USD with DHL & $5usd with Post so you're still winning price wise

Yes there's only the one type of CoQ10. There are many brands of it on iHerb. Doctors Best has great reviews. Shipping is $8.95 USD with DHL & $5usd with Post so you're still winning price wise

Thank you, i sound so stupid. I thought the unbinquil would be another ingredient thats missing in the cheaper brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I did acupuncture on my second ivf and I was successful. Not saying this worked but it definitely helped. I have pcos. Put down extra unexpected trips into your calendar then you won't be disappointed with the amount of trips you may or may/not have. We used take the earliest appointment eg six am and we used to travel from limerick to Galway. Appointment only took ten minutes they were very prompt. Then drive back to limerick and go to work. So we didn't miss too much ofwork.

The most exciting/scary time of your life. I wish you the best of luck. Xxxx

maryk123 wrote: »
    I did acupuncture on my second ivf and I was successful. Not saying this worked but it definitely helped. I have pcos. Put down extra unexpected trips into your calendar then you won't be disappointed with the amount of trips you may or may/not have. We used take the earliest appointment eg six am and we used to travel from limerick to Galway. Appointment only took ten minutes they were very prompt. Then drive back to limerick and go to work. So we didn't miss too much ofwork.

The most exciting/scary time of your life. I wish you the best of luck. Xxxx

My doctor recommended a man, hes very expensive but is good. Ill ring him this morning.
    glad to hear work doesn't have to be missed much. What did you do they day of transfer? Did you stay in clinic or did you go home? Did you take a few days off for rest?

I went home an hour or two after. On the first ivf I went back to work. On the second one I stayed in bed for a week wasn't got to take any chances. Very stressful but exciting time.

maryk123 wrote: »
    I went home an hour or two after. On the first ivf I went back to work. On the second one I stayed in bed for a week wasn't got to take any chances. Very stressful but exciting time.

Thanks Maryk. I hope they'll transfer mid week so i can take a few days rest without any questions from work.
    So true. My head is fried, wish it was happening tomorrow. We have a meeting ina month.

I didn't tell anyone what we were doing and it took the pressure off.
    Everyone is different and needs support in different ways.
    I wish you all the best

Advertisement