Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iOS8 and Personal Hotspot

• 22-09-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone having difficulty activating a Personal Hotspot on iOS 8 - I know they've changed the feature a bit but seems to me like I can't enable it now on my device.

I'm using an unlocked 5S with a Tesco SIM and never had any issues prior to the upgrade.

Contacted Tesco (see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057294904 ) but they say its not on the network side and to contact Apple!

There are a number of people reporting similar issues in the US but it seems to be more actually finding the hotspot option which does not appear in the menu now in a lot of case.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭squonk

Worked fine for me but a friend was having some problems. He had the GM installed however. Once he removed that and did a release install everything worked fine. If you have the GM I'd suggest installing the OTA release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

squonk wrote: »
    Worked fine for me but a friend was having some problems. He had the GM installed however. Once he removed that and did a release install everything worked fine. If you have the GM I'd suggest installing the OTA release.

Thanks - I didn't have the GM installed, went straight from 7.1.3 (I think!) up to 8 via a tethered iTunes upgrade as couldn't free enough space for OTA :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I had a similar problem at first. I'm on 48 (they use the same network as tesco as far as I know) and had no option to start a hotspot at first.

My solution was to fill 48's internet settings in the mobile settings menu. I'm sure tesco have their info online somewhere.

Then you have to enable the hotspot in the mobile settings page before it'll appear on the main settings page

I hope that makes sense!

I had a similar problem at first. I'm on 48 (they use the same network as tesco as far as I know) and had no option to start a hotspot at first.

My solution was to fill 48's internet settings in the mobile settings menu. I'm sure tesco have their info online somewhere.

Then you have to enable the hotspot in the mobile settings page before it'll appear on the main settings page

I hope that makes sense!

Thank you! That seems to have sorted it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Ok strange issue I experienced.
    Never use hotspot (with VF too expensive).
    Have iPad Air and 5s, hotspot permanently off, Bluetooth on (both) never paired them though.
    Other day in hotel wifi problem and notice hotspot available under wifi networks (ipad), thought must have been guest in other room but when I tried to connect it seemed to on iPad and iPhone showed 1 active hotspot connection even though I made sure before that hotspot was off.
    When I checked again it was now on, was never asked for code on iPad and as said never paired them before, they do share same Apple ID. This normal or a bug?

• Advertisement

flyguy wrote: »
    Ok strange issue I experienced.
    Never use hotspot (with VF too expensive).
    Have iPad Air and 5s, hotspot permanently off, Bluetooth on (both) never paired them though.
    Other day in hotel wifi problem and notice hotspot available under wifi networks (ipad), thought must have been guest in other room but when I tried to connect it seemed to on iPad and iPhone showed 1 active hotspot connection even though I made sure before that hotspot was off.
    When I checked again it was now on, was never asked for code on iPad and as said never paired them before, they do share same Apple ID. This normal or a bug?

This is part of the change in iOS8, feature is called 'Instant Hotspot' - I believe any device which share the same iCloud account can use the Phone as a hotspot, from Apple :

If you’re out of Wi-Fi range, your iPad or Mac can connect to your phone’s personal hotspot when your iPhone is close by.* With the new Instant Hotspot feature, you’ll see the name of your iPhone in the list of Wi-Fi networks in Settings on your iPad and in the Wi-Fi menu on your Mac. Just select it and you’re connected. And when you’re not using your phone’s network, your devices intelligently disconnect to save battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Thanks that explains it.
    Now if only comreg would do something about a "shop" (Vodafone) that charges more for the same "milk" (data) used for "making pancakes" (tethering) than for "drinking it" (mobile use).
    Few countries around already that have banned providers from charging more for (or blocking) data used for tethering/IM/VoIP. Data is paid for, user decides how to use it. When will Ireland follow?
    Before someone suggests changing network, in my case VF is cheapest for roaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It's actually a really great feature because pre-iOS 8 joining a personal hotspot was a nightmare.

Advertisement