Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student transport costs

• 22-09-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

I'v to get the dart and bus every morning. Currently it's costing 12 euro a day. Is there anyway to make my journeys cheaper? someone mentioned leap card but savings don't seem massive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

carzony wrote: »
    I'v to get the dart and bus every morning. Currently it's costing 12 euro a day. Is there anyway to make my journeys cheaper? someone mentioned leap card but savings don't seem massive?

People will need route details to help you out but have you considered weekly/monthly options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    People will need route details to help you out but have you considered weekly/monthly options.

I'm going from clondalkin to dun loghaire everyday

So far i'v been getting the 79a into town and then the dart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,076 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

OK there are a number of options:

Firstly you should get a student LEAP card.

Using it in epurse mode, that is pay-as-you-go, you will have the following caps:

Bus Only: Daily - €5, Weekly (Mon-Sun) - €20
    Multi-mode (Dublin Bus/Train/LUAS): Daily - €7.50, Weekly (Mon-Sun) - €30

You can also load some prepaid tickets onto the card that allow unlimited travel:

Dublin Bus only:
    5 day student rambler ticket (non-consecutive) - €20
    30 day student rambler ticket (non-consecutive) - €100

Dublin Bus/Irish Rail:
    Monthly Student Short Hop ticket (Calendar month) - €119

Look at your travel patterns and select which suits you best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

lxflyer wrote: »
    OK there are a number of options:

Firstly you should get a student LEAP card.

Using it in epurse mode, that is pay-as-you-go, you will have the following caps:

Bus Only: Daily - €5, Weekly (Mon-Sun) - €20
    Multi-mode (Dublin Bus/Train/LUAS): Daily - €7.50, Weekly (Mon-Sun) - €30

You can also load some prepaid tickets onto the card that allow unlimited travel:

Dublin Bus only:
    5 day student rambler ticket (non-consecutive) - €20
    30 day student rambler ticket (non-consecutive) - €100

Dublin Bus/Irish Rail:
    Monthly Student Short Hop ticket (Calendar month) - €119

Look at your travel patterns and select which suits you best!

I reckon the 30 a week will suit me best. I'm only saving a tenner but I suppose the tenner will add up over the next few months :D Can I get one of those leap cards in any shop?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I reckon the 30 a week will suit me best. I'm only saving a tenner but I suppose the tenner will add up over the next few months :D Can I get one of those leap cards in any shop?

Pretty much any convenience store like Spar/centra

• Advertisement

You need to apply for a student travelcard.

Details are here.

Stheno wrote: »
    Pretty much any convenience store like Spar/centra

Student travelcards cannot be purchased in a shop - they need to apply for them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lxflyer wrote: »
    Student travelcards cannot be purchased in a shop - they need to apply for them.

Apologies, I was thinking of the bog standard leap card.

Advertisement