Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of presents for kids parties

Options
  • 22-09-2014 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just wondering generally how much people spend on presents for kids birthday parties? I've been spending about 15 euro on each present but this can amount to a few hundred a year with all the parties school kids are invited to. The problem is that some of the parents are spending a lot on parties in play centres so you kinda feel you have to give something decent.

Is there a standard amount that people spend on presents? Does it depend on the age of the child, school attended etc? Any views out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

My son had his 7thbirthday party in a playcentre lately.
    A lot of cash gifts were given, amounts varied from 10-20 euro. The majority were 15€. Presents given were approx 15€ in value.
    People that gave 20€ had 2 siblings at the party.
    Imho 10€ is perfect. 15€ is generous and €20 is bananas.

No child needs too much money.

I don't expect guests to cover the cost of party. The party is my gift to my child and he had a ball spending his present money in sport shop.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was shocked at the gorgeous presents my daughter got for her 5th Birthday.
    I buy the presents reduced and then give them:) I buy stuff I know my 5 year old would love and then a 20 euro present might cost me 10 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

Surely a child's presence at the party is present enough. My child's school have this rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I usually spend about €10

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Several local parents have come to the agreement that each guest gives a €5 voucher for a particular toyshop. This means the birthday child can get something they actually want and not ANOTHER art or loomband set.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

caji wrote: »
    Surely a child's presence at the party is present enough. My child's school have this rule.

Why are the school getting involved in making rules about parties that take place out of school hours?! :confused:

And I think it's nice for kids to give each other birthday presents at parties, it's all part of the occasion. Something to the value of €10 seems reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Several local parents have come to the agreement that each guest gives a €5 voucher for a particular toyshop. This means the birthday child can get something they actually want and not ANOTHER art or loomband set.

That's a good idea plus it saves having to think of something that the birthday child doesn't have already. Presents seem to go in trends, one year one of my lads got 9 Action Men - all of them the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Thats a great idea. Mine are still small but definietly think that will be the plan

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the art sets and loom bands,they can be used.
    I am not a fan of all the other random toys as much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

:D:D
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love the art sets and loom bands,they can be used.
    Ever had the pleasure of a Hamma beads set or a tub of glitter spilling? They're like Christmas tree needles, you'll be finding them a year later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Between 10 and 20 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

10 to 15 is what we spend for birthday parties. I go for consumables and books/clothes usually.

So, bubbles, coloured pencils/chalk, colouring book, puzzle book. Hat, cardigan, wellies.

Things I don't get for children (because they annoy me in my own house...)
    Playdoh
    Loom bands
    Beads
    Jewellery of any kind
    Glitter
    Markers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Last year aldi did Lego brick master sets for about 8 and I bought a bunch. Great presents for younger children only colouring books or activity books and pencils/crayons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

on the invitation we got last week (5 year olds party) it said not to spend more than €5,

so we bought a Spears games branded gift set in it were a regular deck of cards, a snap deck of cards and a game called "happy families" deck of cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I give a 15e Smyths voucher or if I know the child better, lego or the like, but always to the 15 mark! Financially not many people can afford more, though I did go to a party recently where one child's parents gave a 45e toy, though they are wealthy, so off with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why are the school getting involved in making rules about parties that take place out of school hours?! :confused:

And I think it's nice for kids to give each other birthday presents at parties, it's all part of the occasion. Something to the value of €10 seems reasonable to me.

Because genreally it's all the kids in the class that are invited and most patents appreciate rules as it works out much easier on the parent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

ted1 wrote: »
    Because genreally it's all the kids in the class that are invited and most patents appreciate rules as it works out much easier on the parent

I found that the best rule made by the school in relation to parties was no invitations to be given in school, parties are completely separate to school because kids inevitably get left out and teachers cant make parents or kids invite all the children in the class. Most parents discretely hand invitations out on the way out of school once the kids are gone, although there's always one parent who ignores the rule! But if this rule wasn't in place I know I'd appreciate that rule re presents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There are 6 kids in my sons little circle....actually my wifes circle :)

If you were to give €15 per child that would be €90 in the year. With so many people not working it can put a strain on peoples budgets. Its particularly hard on parents if birthdays are close together.
    In the ideal world I'd say no presents. In reality keep it a small token.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I think a €5 is great as it is not too much on parents and the child then can buy something they really want instead of a few cheapie things that break after a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The book people often do great deals on multiple books . I got a set of 10 julia donaldson books for £10.
    10 books = 10 nice presents or if you're generous...5 presents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement