Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puncture in car park

• 22-09-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am parked in Dublin city center and have a puncture. Luckily I don't need car until Friday and my spare is a real tyre but what do I do?

Does AXA call out cover this? If not, what the hell?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Change the tire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Pull up carpet in boot, remove spare wheel and jack and tyre iron, which should be under the wheel or beside it. Jack car carefully on flat surface, at the jacking points (which are usually located six or so inches back from the front wheel/ or 6 forward for back wheel).

* Loosen nuts before carefully raising it, remove original wheel, replace with spare and re-tighten nuts back into position firmly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

EazyD wrote: »
    Pull up carpet in boot, remove spare wheel and jack and tyre iron, which should be under the wheel or beside it. Jack car carefully on flat surface, at the jacking points (which are usually located six or so inches back from the front wheel/ or 6 forward for back wheel).

Once it's been elevated safely on jack, remove the nuts (either 4 or 5 depending on car), carefully remove original wheel, replace with spare and re-tighten nuts back into position firmly.

Loosen the nuts before jacking the car up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭custom_build

Once it's been elevated safely on jack, remove the nuts

You'd have a hard time removing the nuts with the wheel elevated ;)

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Loosen the nuts before jacking the car up.

My bad, forgot that bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

You'd have a hard time removing the nuts with the wheel elevated ;)

Aw Nottin worse when u forget and have to let it down again especially with the sh1t winding jacks grrrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Thanks but I can't so it. Even if I could.those nuts are put on by machine and impossible to remove sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've heard some call outs come under flat battery's or if you put wrong fuel in . Maybe roadside assistance covers coming out to change a wheel ..? Yes/no

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Choodefat

Put on HANDBRAKE before all else...

• Advertisement

I've heard some call outs come under flat battery's or if you put wrong fuel in . Maybe roadside assistance covers coming out to change a wheel ..? Yes/no

Say so give em a ring sure they will tell u have always changed my own but did call them out for a flat battery tho had no jump leads

sjb25 wrote: »
    Aw Nottin worse when u forget and have to let it down again especially with the sh1t winding jacks grrrrrrrr

I seem to always do that when I'm in the biggest rush and just need the damn thing on. Then cuss the feckin scissor jack when it's my own stupidity!

I seem to always do that when I'm in the biggest rush and just need the damn thing on. Then cuss the feckin scissor jack when it's my own stupidity!

Been there brother ! I'm so stupid I spent ages the other night changing bulb in car because it was awkward to fit it in and realised when I eventually put it in I put same back in . If there's a dumb thing to do your pretty sure I'd have done it before most people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Why do people poke fun at you cos you can't change a tyre. If I poked fun at people who don't know finance I'd be sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Righty tighty, lefty loosey

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mozattack wrote: »
    Thanks but I can't so it. Even if I could.those nuts are put on by machine and impossible to remove sometimes

Perhaps get a friend to help you or see can you buy/borrow a longer tool to give you more leverage getting the nuts off?

And yes breakdown assist will cover this, I had a blowout last year and could not get the wheel off the car, and they covered coming out, changing the wheel etc. And my policy was also with Axa
    Why do people poke fun at you cos you can't change a tyre. If I poked fun at people who don't know finance I'd be sacked

Well it's fairly basic car maintenance knowledge do you not think? It can sometimes be very difficult to get the nuts loosened/off especially if they have been machine tightened. I've learned to ask to have the nuts hand tight if I'm getting wheels changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭custom_build

I would say you could fairly easily teach a four year old the process of changing a tyre, i'm not sure that they could grasp the complexities of the financial market. That might be the difference.

If you can't help the op stay out of the thread, I may be back seat modding but I hate seeing people made to feel stupid . If op comes on here for help then help him or her . If you can't help then just go for a browse around after hours

Me to nightmare did it and it was p1ssing rain aswell

• Advertisement

If you can't help the op stay out of the thread, I may be back seat modding but I hate seeing people made to feel stupid . If op comes on here for help then help him or her . If you can't help then just go for a browse around after hours

I did tell the OP that mine does and to ring and they will confirm and they will fix it no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Call your boyfriend and ask him to help you? Or see if there is a business near by that could give you a hand? Hope you get sorted anyway! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Also are you parked in a car park where you have to pay? If you are you'll be fleeced if you leave it there till Friday

I would say you could fairly easily teach a four year old the process of changing a tyre, i'm not sure that they could grasp the complexities of the financial market. That might be the difference.

People working in the finance sector are more likely to be mechanically challenged in my experience. On paper highly intelligent but couldn't fix a puncture on a bike, change a wheel etc. no matter how many times you show them. At the same time I can swap out any part on a car but wouldn't have a clue what principle interest or any of that other jargon they use means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Nowadays, if you can't show the driving tester that you know how to check the oil (and other basic things), you fail your driving test. Not being able to remove a wheel is pretty bad tbh, as it really is so basic. I can understand if the wheel is hidden under the car, but if the excuse is "the nuts are tight" and the person cannot ask for a little help from someone with stronger arms, then that person should not be driving. Being able to change a tyre is about safety.

The last time I got a puncture the lad who changed the tyre had to use their machine, couldn't do it manually.

The machine locks the nuts on too tight for manual extraction. Excuse the innuendo

Thanks for those who helped BTW, will ring insurance company in am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Well this is what I do.

Next time, get the spanner out and put it on a wheel nut. Remember that to tighten, it goes clockwise, to loosen anti clockwise.

So set the spanner so that it's going to turn anticlockwise and about horizontal or pointing a little upwards even. Make sure the spanner is seated well on the nut. Now stamp on the end of the spanner - a good firm thump with your heel - don't fall over. That should loosen the nut. Repeat for each nut and continue as above.

When refitting the nuts, repeat in reverse but not too tight.

Even if you get out of this wee fix, take time some day to practice. You never know when it'll come in handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The last time I got a puncture the lad who changed the tyre had to use their machine, couldn't do it manually.

The machine locks the nuts on too tight for manual extraction. Excuse the innuendo

:pac::pac::pac:

Maybe if you apply a bit of lubricant, the nuts will come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OP, yes rescue cover should look after this

I've been in similar situations in the past - one was my driveway where the nuts had been overtightened by an airgun, the second was on the M3 in the dark when the right rear tyre blew out (and unlike the first example I didn't even try to sort it myself.. kneeling in the dark with your back to cars moving at 120 km/h is not a good idea just to be all manly)

You pay for rescue cover so don't be afraid to use it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can always remove the nuts manually, you just need a longer lever if it doesn't work the first time.

First thing I do with any new car I get is stick a proper cross brace in the boot after getting caught out with the brace supplied with a car that couldn't open the air spannered nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I thought every reply in this thread would be from good samaritans offering to help a damsel in distress (presuming the OP is a fair damsel...) :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Esel wrote: »
    I thought every reply in this thread would be from good samaritans offering to help a damsel in distress (presuming the OP is a fair damsel...) :D

Indeed (and this will be unpopular but I see it all the time here with "noob"/non-"regular" posts), instead most people seem more interested in berating the OP for not knowing how/being able to change the tyre themselves.

Considering the response if the OP had been clamped would be more of the White Knight variety I'm disappointed to be honest.

Motors just isn't what it used to be these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

if the car has alloy wheels joe soap may have problems removing them as they corrode on and i use a lump hammer when on ramp to remove them,hitting rubber tyre only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2eV0_Ex-iE
    and for the person that cannot do a wheel change how about blowing up tyre as it may get you to local garage to get wheel changed.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=12v+tyre+inflator+compressor&client=firefox-a&hs=NwW&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=44kgVLL-FMac7gb9v4CADA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=667

of course slicing wheel it will be of no use then.
    working cigarette lighter or crocodile clips usually supplied but please check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Good idea on the 12v compressor - Large Tescos have them for about €14. Might be from €20 up in a motorfactors.

Often the puncture is a 'slow' one, and you can re-inflate the wheel using the compressor. Just be sure not to run it for more than 5 minutes at a time, as they can overheat and burn out. Stop and let it cool down, then carry on inflating. I carry two compressors in the boot, and have not had to change a wheel in years. Drive to the tyre shop, let them remove/repair/refit. Ask them not to overtighten the nuts.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Esel wrote: »
    Good idea on the 12v compressor - Large Tescos have them for about €14. Might be from €20 up in a motorfactors.

Often the puncture is a 'slow' one, and you can re-inflate the wheel using the compressor. Just be sure not to run it for more than 5 minutes at a time, as they can overheat and burn out. Stop and let it cool down, then carry on inflating. I carry two compressors in the boot, and have not had to change a wheel in years. Drive to the tyre shop, let them remove/repair/refit. Ask them not to overtighten the nuts.

My tyre guy always tells his fitters that I'm one of the torque wrench customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctpQ5ag0_4c

e8.99 inclusive of vat

a very good price so grab them quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭tmg

hey

so one great thing to keep in your car is one of these - http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/garage-equipment/car-tools/halfords-extending-wheel-wrench

it extends out, and will give you a lot more leverage than the standard one (and a lot more if you jump up and down on it :). its about the only thing that will shift wheel nuts that have been airgunned on.

not much help to you right now I am guessing. but for future, its a great thing to have in the boot.

tmg wrote: »
    hey

so one great thing to keep in your car is one of these - http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/garage-equipment/car-tools/halfords-extending-wheel-wrench

it extends out, and will give you a lot more leverage than the standard one (and a lot more if you jump up and down on it :). its about the only thing that will shift wheel nuts that have been airgunned on.

not much help to you right now I am guessing. but for future, its a great thing to have in the boot.

I am one of those feebletons who have been known to use such an implement and jump up and down on it to loosen the nuts.

Works every time.

However it does look especially ridiculous if you are dressed in either a business suit or a dress and have to jump up and down on the friggin thing in heels :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Change the tire?
    OSI wrote: »
    Why isn't changing a tyre part of the driving test yet.
    You change the wheel not the tyre ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You change the wheel not the tyre ;)

Changing the wheel is for amateurs, we here in the Motors forum change the tyre only;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Only seeing this now, OP if you're in the city centre tomorow, drop me a message and I'll see if i can help you out, I usually have all my tools in the boot of my car so it'l save you waiting around

If it's any use to you that is :)

Only seeing this now, OP if you're in the city centre tomorow, drop me a message and I'll see if i can help you out, I usually have all my tools in the boot of my car so it'l save you waiting around

If it's any use to you that is :)

Finally a knight appears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

This isn't cheap but I have it and it's great. I check with the torque wrench and it tightens to well over the torque recommended for my wheels.
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cir13c-1-2in-impact-wrench-kit-12v

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Stheno wrote: »
    Finally a knight appears!

:pac: Jaysis far from it haha, If I was stuck I'd at least expect one of ye to at least offer like :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've yet to see one that standing on the spanner won't move. Unless you are especially light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Patww79 wrote: »

Is the tyre repairable after using that stuff?

beauf wrote: »
    I've yet to see one that standing on the spanner won't move. Unless you are especially light.

I've bounced on the end of a 600mm bar trying to get wheels nuts and bolts off and I'm not light at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement