Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puncture in car park

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

wonski wrote: »
    Changing the wheel is for amateurs, we here in the Motors forum change the tyre only;)

Wrong!

New car, OP. It's the only way to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Interslice wrote: »
    I've bounced on the end of a 600mm bar trying to get wheels nuts and bolts off and I'm not light at all.

My point was I've never seen one that can't be removed by standing on it.

Someone will probably reply they've seen one welded on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

mozattack wrote: »
    Why do people poke fun at you cos you can't change a tyre. If I poked fun at people who don't know finance I'd be sacked

Because if you own a car you should have some basic maintaining and repair knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

tmg wrote: »
    hey

so one great thing to keep in your car is one of these - http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/garage-equipment/car-tools/halfords-extending-wheel-wrench

it extends out, and will give you a lot more leverage than the standard one (and a lot more if you jump up and down on it :). its about the only thing that will shift wheel nuts that have been airgunned on.

not much help to you right now I am guessing. but for future, its a great thing to have in the boot.
    Good, but hard in heels...
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    That's gas! Might/probably will work, but you have to read the instructions. Drive or immediately spin the wheel to get the substance to the leak. Block the gap and all that...
    Only seeing this now, OP if you're in the city centre tomorow, drop me a message and I'll see if i can help you out, I usually have all my tools in the boot of my car so it'l save you waiting around

If it's any use to you that is :)
    Good Sir, good Knight, you arrived, but alas too late.
    hoodie6029 wrote: »
    This isn't cheap but I have it and it's great. I check with the torque wrench and it tightens to well over the torque recommended for my wheels.
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cir13c-1-2in-impact-wrench-kit-12v
    Wear pumps/boots, and the ball of your foot. Apply all your weight; don't jump, don't feint. Just think/and keep trying, until no more rhyming.
    beauf wrote: »
    I've yet to see one that standing on the spanner won't move. Unless you are especially light.
    There is no average spanner that will work in this manner, unless you drive a truck and therefore make your own luck.

I believe in heaving, again and then again - the nut might well shift, but then - what then? The next one - eh yeah / eh no... where does one not go?

Call the AA or whatever rescue company you paid for. Sit tight, sit well back off the highway. Wait for the cavalry, and chill out in the meantime.

No breakdown insurance/clause? Fix it yourself, or call a taxi - to get you home before things get waxy...

Candle, no handle, too much rope; talk to the pope and there might be some hope.

tl/dr Compressor; extendable wrench; if spare has air, fit it - then belch. Straight home, sleep. First stop next day - tyre shop. Well before next sleep.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

You'd have a hard time removing the nuts with the wheel elevated ;)
    sjb25 wrote: »
    Aw Nottin worse when u forget and have to let it down again especially with the sh1t winding jacks grrrrrrrr
    mozattack wrote: »
    Thanks but I can't so it. Even if I could.those nuts are put on by machine and impossible to remove sometimes

Ahhh lads lads, I thought yeed all have one of these at this stage http://www.tesco.com/direct/rac-12v-impact-wrench/207-4508.prd there is cheaper ones out there.....

ardle1 wrote: »
    Ahhh lads lads, I thought yeed all have one of these at this stage http://www.tesco.com/direct/rac-12v-impact-wrench/207-4508.prd there is cheaper ones out there.....
    Real men don't wear high heels when changing wheels...

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Real men don't wear high heels when changing wheels...

Ha ha, it really is a God send on a stormy night:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stheno wrote: »
    I am one of those feebletons who have been known to use such an implement and jump up and down on it to loosen the nuts.

Works every time.

However it does look especially ridiculous if you are dressed in either a business suit or a dress and have to jump up and down on the friggin thing in heels :D

You'd look more ridiculous turning up late for a meeting because you couldn't change a wheel and had to wait for recovery to do it.

Shouldn't really be driving in heels, if you need to wear heels carry then in the car and have a pair of flats for driving.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Shouldn't really be driving in heels, if you need to wear heels carry then in the car and have a pair of flats for driving.
    The voice of experience? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    You'd look more ridiculous turning up late for a meeting because you couldn't change a wheel and had to wait for recovery to do it.

But isn't that the whole point of this thread, he doesn't want 'flats' so then he wouldn't have to call the AA, and we wouldn't be giving him advice and blah blah zzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Esel wrote: »
    ....There is no average spanner that will work in this manner, unless you drive a truck and therefore make your own luck.

I believe in heaving, again and then again - the nut might well shift, but then - what then? The next one - eh yeah / eh no... where does one not go?...

By spanner I meant wheel brace. Though in modern cars its usually just one lever. Your own body weight will put much more force on the lever than "heaving" and runs far less risk of causing yourself an injury. If one person can't do a second adding their weight well almost always move it.

I will agree that if you are not up to do any of this. Pay and use a breakdown service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I've had to use my insurance breakdown cover recently as a result of a front flat. They put it up on a low loader and brought it to the tyre shop. I wasn't sure if it would be covered but they were able to come to my doorstep and pick it up. Pain in the a$$

Advertisement