Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vintage Frame Respray

• 22-09-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I've been wanting to get the frame of my vintage Raleigh racer resprayed for quite a while now and am finally in a position to do so. I was thinking of getting it done by Tallaght power coating but am open to suggestions on this. My main concern is that I have obtained a set of original decals that I wish to apply; they seem to be the straight up peel and stick kind. However, I've been reading that a clear coat should really be applied over these and that power coating itself can be problematic when it comes to decals.

Tallaght power coating don't seem to offer the option of applying decals and a clear lacquer for you but does anywhere? I'd really appreciate some feedback; particularly from somebody who has previously restored and old steel frame complete with decals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a late 80's steel Peugeot 653. I got it resprayed last year. I had original decals, which I had sourced on Ebay.I got it done by Bike Design Centre in Newbridge. I dealt with the owner. He resprayed the bike in original colours, put on the decals, then applied a coat of lacquer. As well as respraying the frame, he sprayed a carbon frame and did some modifications to the frame for me.
    Here's a link to my bike. Scroll down the page to the pink and purple beauty.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057287064&page=2

I don't think, it would be possible to apply decals, successfully, on a powder coated frame.
    There is another place in Limerick, that does resprays, a friend of mine is having one done there at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭letape

My brother is in the process of resurrecting a 1991 cannondale aluminium mountain bike and has spent some time researching re spraying options.

He is going with Bob Jackson in the UK:

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk

It will cost about £100 to have it re sprayed and another £10 to have the decals applied (with clear coat applied over them). His preference is to go for spraying over powder coating.

Mercian cycles in the UK also come highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have a late 80's steel Peugeot 653. I got it resprayed last year. I had original decals, which I had sourced on Ebay.I got it done by Bike Design Centre in Newbridge. I dealt with the owner. He resprayed the bike in original colours, put on the decals, then applied a coat of lacquer. As well as respraying the frame, he sprayed a carbon frame and did some modifications to the frame for me.

This sounds good to me, how much did what you got set you back. I'm just looking for a simple black gloss respray and decals plus lacquer on the frame. The forks are okay as they are only a year old; thanks to some twit in her Jeep. Is this them? http://www.bicycledesigncentre.com/frame-respray-renovation/
    letape wrote: »
    My brother is in the process of resurrecting a 1991 cannondale aluminium mountain bike and has spent some time researching re spraying options.

He is going with Bob Jackson in the UK:

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk

It will cost about £100 to have it re sprayed and another £10 to have the decals applied (with clear coat applied over them). His preference is to go for spraying over powder coating.

Mercian cycles in the UK also come highly recommended.

Is your brother posting the frame to them? If so, how much will it set him back?

That's them.
    I would rather not discuss cost.

That's them.
    I would rather not discuss cost.

That's fair enough, I'll give them a shout during the week and see what the deal is. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭letape

dceire wrote: »
    This sounds good to me, how much did what you got set you back. I'm just looking for a simple black gloss respray and decals plus lacquer on the frame. The forks are okay as they are only a year old; thanks to some twit in her Jeep. Is this them? http://www.bicycledesigncentre.com/frame-respray-renovation/

Is your brother posting the frame to them? If so, how much will it set him back?

He will have to post it but hasn't looked into postage costs yet.

I don't think, it would be possible to apply decals, successfully, on a powder coated frame.
    There is another place in Limerick, that does resprays, a friend of mine is having one done there at the moment.

Is there any reason why peel and stick decals wouldn't stick to a power coated finish? Is there anything to be said for power coating, sticking the decals to it and then covering them with heli-tape?

My OH has a powder coated bike.
    The finish on it is such, that, in my opinion, it would be near impossible to get decals to stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Peter T

Are Orange mtb frames not powder coated and have decals applied ?

Peter T wrote: »
    Are Orange mtb frames not powder coated and have decals applied ?

From what I've been reading online it's definitely possible but it seems to be a little problematic when it comes to applying a clear-coat over the decals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Peter T

Ah yes that makes sense alright

Advertisement