Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coloured spot in morning sky, any ideas?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi,
    Saw it this morning at 8.30 over Dublin. Stayed in the sky for the duration of my drive (10mins).
    Is it possible to have a partial rainbow?? (with no rain??)
    Just never saw anything like it before any was curious.
    Is there a more suitable forum for this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

Ops, here's the pic..
    Adam anto wrote: »
    Hi,
    Saw it this morning at 8.30 over Dublin. Stayed in the sky for the duration of my drive (10mins).
    Is it possible to have a partial rainbow?? (with no rain??)
    Just never saw anything like it before any was curious.
    Is there a more suitable for for this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

It looks like a sun dog.

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

A fire rainbow

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

It looks like a sun dog.

Michael.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like a sun dog alright. Never heard of that before. That's my new thing I've learned today:-)

Thanks again..

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

hi Adam anto,

Good catch to spot that sun dog ... Michael is correct in his identification.

A good web site on atmospheric optics is http://www.atoptics.co.uk and the specific page on sun dogs is at http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/parhelia.htm

Parhelia (or singular is "parhelion") is the scientific term and means "beside the sun". You can also get moon dogs or "parselene" but they are quite faint because of the dimmer light of the Full Moon. Still, parselene have been photographed on occasion.

"Fire rainbow" is a general term that has crept into use for a number of atmospheric phenomena, specifically circumhorizontal arcs. These arcs are extremely vivid but not that frequent from our latitude as the Sun has to be quite high as in the summer months. Ideally, the term "fire rainbow" relates to circumhorizontal arcs to avoid confusion with other atmospheric arcs and halos. Terms like this sometimes are a colourful way to describe a vivid phenomenon.

Keep looking up!

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Looks like a bull dog to me......What the hell is a sundog, NEVER heard of this....

Advertisement