Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What could sell well in an online store?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi Im looking to setup an online store, any ideas of what would sell well online on the store??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Blue widgets followed closely by the green ones !!

But seriously, this is such a vague question with no real answer..

There are a number of places you could do your research..
    Both Amazon and E-bay have sections to show what it selling best at the moment...

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers/zgbs

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/top-searches.html

http://popular.ebay.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

cocaine, sorry, I mean raisins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭IDencI

niallweb1 wrote: »
    Hi Im looking to setup an online store, any ideas of what would sell well online on the store??

You could try something along the lines of etzy. What area are you interested in? If you need some help website/development wise I can give a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 niallweb1

No I am a qualified Multimedia Developer, thanks though.

No worries!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

Tickets, clothes, iPod and iPad accessories, hotel rooms, gardening tools ... you name it , it is being sold online.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Seriously...???

You know that you want to set up an online store but don't yet know what you will sell in your online store?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

The whole world is going to be online soon. I've dabbled with online selling a good bit. Don't go into a flooded market like phone covers etc. something different..

Hmmm are you anyway crafty? Etsy is for more crafty people. I would presume selling something you're interested in would be a lot easier! :)

Good luck!

no need to be smart!

You could try selling replacement mobile phone parts. Replacement parts are difficult to come by at a reasonable price and there would be huge demand for affordable parts both nationally and internationally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,192 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I have an online store which sells ideas for what to sell in online stores,

Don't think I can post a link though.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Why should anyone tell you what to sell in " your " store I am bemused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

My suggestion is the use the "lean" business model idea for customer discovery: ask people what they want, or listen and watch people as to how they get what they want and need now. Is there a problem you think you might be able to solve? If so how?

Research! And best advice is to get off our arses and get out and talk to people.

Good luck! Nice to see the offers of help here --very kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

This is a bit like, I don't play golf but that Ryder Cup looks like it would be a good place to start my career. You would not think of opening a retail shop without any idea of what you might sell, the idea is daft. Online is simply another sales channel, not a business is it's own right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

pedronomix wrote: »
    Online is simply another sales channel, not a business is it's own right!
    But, but... it's a sales channel where people become multi-millionaires overnight and I know I'm going to be one of the lucky ones because my mother tells me I'm special...

Reading through this thread I get the impression that the OP is a Web designer who can, in theory, build the platform and want's to utilize those skills to get in on the game - a bit like the reverse of ideas guys who know what they want to sell, but can't build the platform.

So, I'd suggest he partners up with one of these guys as Boards is infested with them, especially with app ideas. Given this I recommend that if he does, he chooses someone who's actually got some real knowledge or background in the specific market, otherwise he's going to be carrying dead weight in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How about fiverr or freelancer to sell your own skills ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Quick... someone give him a business idea so he doesn't have to think for himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

It's all very well been a qualified Multimedia Developer and your website may look good when its finished, but have you any experience with marketing and in this case online marketing? It's no good building a website unless you can market it properly so people will see or use it. The most common misconception people think is that 'build it and they will come'. This is simply not the case.

pedronomix wrote: »
    This is a bit like, I don't play golf but that Ryder Cup looks like it would be a good place to start my career. You would not think of opening a retail shop without any idea of what you might sell, the idea is daft. Online is simply another sales channel, not a business is it's own right!

I do infact know enough about internet marketing to be running websites for clients. I only posted this up to see if stock could be bought somewhere and sold online for a profit.

I do infact know enough about internet marketing to be running websites for clients. I only posted this up to see if stock could be bought somewhere and sold online for a profit.

I am sure you do but that has little to do with it if you do not have an actual business concept/idea. I know plenty of plumbers but none can supply the water!!

• Advertisement

I have a business already. Just wanted to do something on the side..

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

I do infact know enough about internet marketing to be running websites for clients. I only posted this up to see if Can anyone advise where stock could be bought somewhere and sold online for a profit.

Well I would suggest your post should have said "Can anyone advise where stock could be bought somewhere and sold online for a profit for a new online shop". or similar. You would then have communicated clearly what you wanted instead of confusing most people who have replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

For your sake I hope you do know 'enough' about online marketing and that you don't just think its about what you wrote in another post:

Strong keyword title and domain name
    Good keyword description
    Alt Tags images
    H1-H6 tags with keyword in.

I assure you it has very little to do with the above.

adamrooney wrote: »
    For your sake I hope you do know 'enough' about online marketing and that you don't just think its about what you wrote in another post:

Strong keyword title and domain name
    Good keyword description
    Alt Tags images
    H1-H6 tags with keyword in.

I assure you it has very little to do with the above.

That is something entirely different that I am enquiring about so I don't think you following me around boards is anything to do with this post. God lots of "smart"people on this today

Do you really think that someone will come up with a good area/idea for you and not bother doing it for their own profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

OP, sounds like drop-shipping could be something that would suit your circumstances. You take care of the online promotion and strategy, and let someone else take care of order fulfilment.

Ecommerce Fuel has a great introduction to this area.

Advertisement