Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym for a beginner

Options
  • 22-09-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Could anyone reccommend a Gym in Sligo town for a complete beginner please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

rogercar wrote: »

Well first of all, what are you trying to achieve/goals?

Are you trying to loose weight?
    Have you lost weight and are trying to tone up?
    Are you completely starting fresh and need a trainer at a gym to guide you?
    or are you just looking for a pastime/exercise/swimming etc...

If you give us this info we could help you pick the best gym in Sligo for your goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

ROM Sligo or the clarion hotel would be a good option

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Vlove wrote: »
    ROM Sligo or the clarion hotel would be a good option

Clarion Gym is good but the staff are all unqualified students and never offer to update programmes or offer advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

Thanks everone for the replys. It's for me. I want to lose weight and then tone up. I would need a personal trainer as I have never been to a gym before and wouldn't know what to do or where to start. I live in Sligo town, but don't have my own transport, it's abit of a trek to the Clarion, with the onset of winter. Anything suitable in the town centre? I pass by "Popeye" gym regularly, which is situated to the rear of Dunnes Stores, near the dual carriageway. Anyone know anything about it, or anywhere else they could reccommend? Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 af12

Hi there
    You could try genesis gym. It's down near the quays. I've heard all the staff in there are very helpful and think it's only 25 euro a month too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Thanks everone for the replys. It's for me. I want to lose weight and then tone up. I would need a personal trainer as I have never been to a gym before and wouldn't know what to do or where to start. I live in Sligo town, but don't have my own transport, it's abit of a trek to the Clarion, with the onset of winter. Anything suitable in the town centre? I pass by "Popeye" gym regularly, which is situated to the rear of Dunnes Stores, near the dual carriageway. Anyone know anything about it, or anywhere else they could reccommend? Thanks again for your help.

For a total beginner learning about correct posture flexibility and movement would really stand to you for the rest of your life so I'd be inclined to recommend ROM or sligo crossfit which is nearby.
    If you contact popeyes he should be able to organise personal training for you although it would be a more traditional gym.
    I train in genesis myself it's a brilliant gym but as it's very big it might be a bit overwhelming to begin with.

Thanks everyone, but where is ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Thanks everyone, but where is ROM?

It's down beside argos. You won't miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

I pass by "Popeye" gym regularly, which is situated to the rear of Dunnes Stores, near the dual carriageway. Anyone know anything about it
    They wouldn't be any good for a beginner like yourself,it is only the serious weightlifters that go there..ROM is good and there is also a crowd called 'Fitness with Meenan', check them out on facebook, I think he operates out of the gym in the IT. I seen he does progress photos on fb and seems to be great with different programmes and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I want to lose weight and then tone up.

Just so you know, this is code for "I need to change my long-term eating habits and start lifting weights". Wherever you go, if your nutrition isn't being addressed, you won't be getting the results you desire. Crossfit Sligo are starting a beginners (foundation) course next Monday, I think it's the last one planned this year. They guide you through everything you'll need to know.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'm checking all those out and will let you know how I get on. :)

Advertisement